"Illegal" IMEI: phone cannot be used

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
https://www.cnnindonesia.com/teknologi/20190701121402-185-407918/kominfo-sebut-aturan-imei-berlaku-mulai-agustus-2019

According to this article, all IMEI numbers will need to be registered as of August 2019. If it is found that your IMEI was not purchased through an authorized retailer in Indonesia, no Indonesian SIM is supposed to be working in that phone anymore unless you pay additional taxes.

Phones that have been purchased prior to the implementation will be exempt, but all phones going forward will be considered "illegal" if not bought through official Indonesian channels.

GREAT thinking again, who wants to bet that none of the wise men who drafted this regulation have even considered the millions of tourists that purchase a local sim card during their holidays to stay connected?

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
Wish I read this yesterday, would've actually tried to mention this to the Minister of KOMINFO after his speech at Canada day.

Anyone any clue how something like this could seriously be pointed out to the people in charge of it?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
As usual they are running behind the facts.

Already since 2013 they try to block (stolen) phones based on a database of IMEI numbers. Mainly in the West.

But there were three major issues; the telecom operators made sure their SIMs did not work in these phones but via WiFi you still had access to Internet. Many foreign telecom providers did not participate. And it was possible to change an IMEI.

What is better, is the YUNU. Your Unique NUmber is not the PIN, but a code you need to enter when changing a SIM.

And all systems nowadays from Apple, Samsung etc. have a feature to block a lost phone.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
That's the plan, but I'm skeptical it will actually happen. I've read that they've tried this a few times before, and the current push still needs approvals from 3 different government agencies. As for tourists, what is the current status for tourists since all SIM cards are supposed to be registered with KTP/KK and foreigners must register with passport at an office? Are cards still working for the first 30 days before registering?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Also, why should one buy his/her phone via official Indonesian channels? Nobody’s business if you choose to use the phone from your home country or the one you bought in HK. And you wander what would happen with all these ITC shops which sell thousands of (grey import?) phones.

No, don’t see it happen. Once again an example of a ‘brilliant’ idea that will be semi impossible to implement. And would have unforeseen consequences. Can add it to @dafluff ’s RI to-do-list.

vocalneal

Cager
They used to do this Sh1t in Thailand. There was a line up at MBK shopping centre IT Mall to get foreign phones "converted"
Stupid as the phones are not manufactured in Thailand or maybe not even in Indonesia so no threat to jobs.
But yes foreigners in Thailand now have to show their passports and register when buying prepaid SIM's. I just go my wife to get mine.
Also have to show passport when "buying" e-money cards ( for BTS) as well. Again I get my wife.......

jstar

Mr. 10,000
But yes foreigners in Thailand now have to show their passports and register when buying prepaid SIM's.
Same here.

Problem is still that the online system doesn't seem to accept our 'NIKs'. So even we with residence permits need to put the SIM on the name of a WNI or visit the shop with our passport.

Last edited:

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
Stupid as the phones are not manufactured in Thailand or maybe not even in Indonesia so no threat to jobs.
Not jobs, taxes.

Well that's what they believe they're losing out on anyway. And come to think of it.. the newest iPhone is 20jt abroad but 26/7 over here..

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Well if you see how many non-official Samsung / Apple / whatever sales points there are in the in the Tech Centers of the country (hundreds of thousands?) it just must affect employment if they try to limit the sales of phones sourced abroad...

snpark

Cager
Announced today going to be a 2 year grace period anyway
So nothing to take effect till 2021

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
Well if you see how many non-official Samsung / Apple / whatever sales points there are in the in the Tech Centers of the country (hundreds of thousands?) it just must affect employment if they try to limit the sales of phones sourced abroad...
But since you cant buy them through the non-official sales points their sales numbers would be effected and people lose their jobs?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Difficult to predict; will the official sales outlets sell more and be able to hire more people? Don't think so, all have already 10+ people standing there doing nothing besides having fun with their colleagues.

But these thousands of small Toko's losing all their clientele is definitely gonna have an impact.

snpark

Cager
What's amazing is that they wouldnt have so many staff if it wasn't financially feasible which means each of those toko must be making enough every month to cover rent, costs, several albeit small salaries and still make a profit? Incredible really

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Look at the hundreds of (un)employed staff on each floor of Centro/SOGO/Star/Matahari/Metro/Lafayette/Seibu/.... bored stiff or trying to hide behind the racks.

That grace period might take a bit longer 🤥

dafluff

Cager

So the Ministry of Industry has created this FAQ for the IMEI regulation.

Q: Will black market phones purchased before Aug 17, 2019 be blocked?
A: No, there will be a grandfathering, the regulation for which is being prepared currently.

Q: What if you buy a phone from abroad after Aug 17? Will it be usable in Indonesia?
A: No. Phones purchased abroad after Aug 17 will not be usable in Indonesia.

Q: Do we need to check our IMEI immediately?
A: Currently a website to check IMEI is being prepared. There is no need to check immediatly.

Q: What is the Industrial Ministry's role in this regulation?
A: The ministry collects IMEI data, which will be compared to those of provider/operator for an application to check IMEIs.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
The post that came from has another slide which says, "Peraturan Menteri tentang hal tersebut masih dibicarakan 3 kementerian (Kemendag, Kemkominfo & Kemenperin)"

So it sounds as though some details remain to be resolved. Of particular interest in discussions I've seen is if tourists will be able to use their phones for a period (30 or 60 days perhaps), and if taxes can be paid in order to whitelist (approve) a phone brought from abroad.

dafluff

Cager
You gotta love that one of the reasoning for this hoopla is "to protect local phone industry"....these guys are hilarious.

dafluff

Cager
The Ministry of Industry and Trade has released a website to check your phone's IMEI.

You can check it here: https://imei.kemenperin.go.id/

To check your phone's IMEI, use the phone app to dial *#06#

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
The Ministry of Industry and Trade has released a website to check your phone's IMEI.

You can check it here: https://imei.kemenperin.go.id/

To check your phone's IMEI, use the phone app to dial *#06#
The cynic within me thinks it is just another way for them to monitor things.
I won't be inputting my IMEI number into their system to check, not that I think it is an illegal phone or that I am a woman on the run, I just don't help govt agencies in any country to do their work unless I fully understand what it is they are up to (and understanding that in this day & age is becoming nigh on impossible).

" Law enforcement and intelligence use[edit]
Law enforcement and intelligence services can use an IMEI number as input for tracking devices that are able to locate a cell phone with an accuracy of a few meters. Saudi Arabian government agencies have reportedly used IMEI numbers retrieved from cell phone packaging to locate and detain women who fled Saudi Arabia's patriarchal society in other countries.[22] "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZacharyBen
Top Bottom