"Illegal" IMEI: phone cannot be used

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
The last time we were able to visit Jakarta in 2019, I had a Blackberry into which I slipped an Indonesian card. Worked fine until we returned to the USA and I switched back to my AT&T card. Would not work, thus the "upgrade" to the $100 Iphone 5s. I am planning on bringing the BB when we return (hopefully the summer of 2021) and, hopefully, it will work with the Indonesian card.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
The last time we were able to visit Jakarta in 2019
What month in 2019 was it last used on an Indonesian network? They have never clarified when the automatic whitelist period started, I suspect the latter half of 2019 should be safe, but you may be a test case for, so please keep us updated when you try.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
I recall that we departed for the States in early August, 2019. Did not have any issues getting local cards or having them work. Same with the Iphone 6's of my wife and child -- no issues

dafluff

Cager
So whatever shitty database program they are using is already full of IMEI numbers, and can't register new ones. Which is a big problem, because this means no new phone, including legal ones, can be registered now.

One plan is to scrub the database of old phones that are no longer being used, but this may also open up a can of worms.

All in all, it went as good as expected...

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
One plan is to scrub the database of old phones that are no longer being used, but this may also open up a can of worms.
That would be an acceptable solution in my opinion as long as they provide a long period of inactivity, perhaps 2-3 years. Even still, it might be only a temporary solution as the number of devices in active use continues to grow.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Indonesia has 267 million people, and the data shows 167 million mobile internet users in 2019. Let’s say each user goes through 5 cell phone numbers on average, that’s 835 million IMEI numbers. Round it up to 1 billion records, and it’s still within the capacity of MS SQL Server database, certainly well within the capability of bigger products like Teradata.

I think the entire system lives in a consumer desktop sitting on the desk of an underpaid subcontractor.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Let’s say each user goes through 5 cell phone numbers on average, that’s 835 million IMEI numbers.

A unique IMEI is assigned for each cellular modem, meaning one for each cellular device like phone or hotspot device, and some phones have two modems in order to use two cards at the same time. People will often own more than one cellular device, but also typically keep the same device for more than one year. If they keep inactive IMEI registered for an additional two years before purging it from the system, some quick estimates tell me they still only need capacity for about 700 million.

That is to service the Indonesian population, any visitor that inserts a phone card will get their IMEI registered in the system as well, a few million a year.

It seems the system should easily have adequate capacity for many years to come if they simply purge IMEI that have been inactive for 2 years. Perhaps that is not easily done with their system.

Ruserious

Does anyone know the latest on this or more specifically does anyone know if the tax on foreign phones is applied and if so how much it is to register it and be able to use it?

I'm looking at a new tablet with 4g that isn't available in Indonesia so I would need to get it overseas and register it. Also if I get it shipped in and pay duty on arrival does that automatically register it?

snpark

Cager
You will get taxed by customs on arrival at 30+% etc and no, registering it is a separate thing once you put in the sim card. Yes it applies .
Registration is free, you need your passport and kitas copy etc

KLew

Hubby got me an iphone 11 back in Feb, but I never got around to using it because I could not transfer the data from old phone to new(I’m technologically challenged.) Once covid hit, I forgot about the new phone since I was always home and old phone worked fine.
I did not activate the new phone with my Indonesian sim card back in Feb. I don’t have a receipt for it as it was prob purchased back in 2019. Is it still possible to register the IMEI?

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Hubby got me an iphone 11 back in Feb, but I never got around to using it because I could not transfer the data from old phone to new(I’m technologically challenged.) Once covid hit, I forgot about the new phone since I was always home and old phone worked fine.
I did not activate the new phone with my Indonesian sim card back in Feb. I don’t have a receipt for it as it was prob purchased back in 2019. Is it still possible to register the IMEI?

Have you checked if it is registered? https://imei.kemenperin.go.id/

If it was purchased at an authorized Apple retailer in Indonesia it is likely that the IMEI has already been registered. If it was purchased outside Indonesia, it will not be registered and you will need to register it with Bea Cukai (and pay the appropriate taxes).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja