HUAWEI the 3rd player?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The latest developments on this Chinese technology supplier are going very fast. It seems we can expect, next to Google (Android) and Apple (iOS) another big player on the market.

Just like Oppo etc., this brand is huge in INDONESIA. But the market penetration in Europe etc. should also not be underestimated. And China itself is huge of course.

On purpose I leave out Samsung Tizen and (MS) Windows since they were never that successful on devices as hand phones. And we all know what happened to Blackberry, Palm and Nokia Symbian.

This is copied from another thread:
jstar said:
I wonder which other Chinese phones besides Huawei will be put on a blacklist by the FBI etc.?

About the Huawei news bomb:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/14/technology/huawei-intelligence-chiefs/index.html
That recent Google news is really kind of huge.

I mean, if you can't get Gmail, YouTube etc. anymore on your Huawei phone?

Even if it is a non issue for the current phones, I think everybody outside of China will think twice now before acquiring one.

And bad timing too, with the marketing action for the new (and very good) P30 Pro.

We will see, perhaps it's just a pressure measure in the trade war. Otherwise the Chinese might have to develop and push their own Operating System.

waarmstrong
Tuesday at 10:45 PM

Trump has backed off on the Huawei ban; Google has followed suite -- crisis averted for the time being.

jstar
Yesterday at 11:57 AM

Isn’t that temporary though? It seems delay of execution...

On Monday, the Commerce Department granted Huawei a license to buy U.S. goods until Aug. 19 to maintain existing telecoms networks and provide software updates to Huawei smartphones, a move intended to give telecom operators that rely on Huawei time to make other arrangements.

waarmstrong
Today at 7:06 AM

Yes, temporary, but have you noticed that almost everything with Trump is temporary. Good only until the next tweet.

Last edited:
Well, suppliers as Panasonic just declared they would not deliver to HUAWEI anymore.

And Yu Chengdong, the head of Huawei's consumer division, said yesterday that a new operating system will soon be available. Not only for smartphones, but also for computers, tablets, TV’s, and even cars.

That HUAWEI operating system should be rolled out at the earliest this fall and at the latest next year in the spring. According to Yu Chengdon, the software will also be able to run Android apps.

Wow.

What I wonder is if any of the Google API will even be accessible from the Huawei phones.

A couple months ago some journalist tried to go on a Google diet by not using any of their services which meant not only removing the usual apps and not using any of the Google websites, it also meant blocking all the connections Google servers.

He got more than he bargained for. Of course he couldn't use YouTube, Google maps, Gmail etc. But any other app that relied on those stopped working as well. It didn't apply in his case, but if had been using the Go-jek app for instance, it wouldn't have worked because the app relies on the Google maps api. Some apps that use the Google ad network also stopped working, same with many websites.

So the roots of Google go very deep, and owning a Huawei might mean much more than simply not having the playstore in your phone.

What I wonder is if any of the Google API will even be accessible from the Huawei phones.

For those without any IT background:

I remember that the Blackberry World App Store did not have a lot of choice.

And then they made it possible to run the Google Play Store on the Blackberry and download the Apps.

Although it was considered the possible savior of the Blackberry Operating System, in the end it did not do anything but postpone its demise a bit.

I think Huawei’s statements the Play Store Apps will work on their new operating system make sense marketing-wise but if they really can deliver?

I think Huawei’s statements the Play Store Apps will work on their new operating system make sense marketing-wise but if they really can deliver?

Well I guess they will be available the same way that some apps are available both on Play Store and Galaxy Apps Store.

Those android apps all have the same basic format, they're all APK files.

The difference between Google Play Store APK files and elsewhere, is the vetting process and some DRM (Digital Right Management which is a mean of controlling copyright content). At the end of the day, whether you download the application XYZ from the Google Play Store, the Galaxy Apps Store, the Huawei App Store or some random website, you're still just downloading an APK file.

As it stands, most if not all the apps on the Google Play Store can be downloaded elsewhere (at your own risk*) from random websites (example: APKpure), so it's not far fetch at all that Huawei could provide most of the Play Store apps as long as they're compatible with their new operating system.

*it is a risk because while the application XYZ on the play store and some random site may look and function the same on the surface, there is no guarantee that the version downloaded outside of the play store hasn't been tempered with to infect your phone with a malware or is stealing your private information. That's where the Google Play Store vetting process comes it (and it's still not infallible).

But can you imagine, after each OS upgrade but also App update, it will have to be tested if they still work.

Now I can imagine that the biggies will always function (at the same speed??). But my online banking App in my home country, which probably will only be made available officially for Android and iOS? Often that's for me personally even more important than a Google Maps or so.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of Huawei phones and networking equipment as MiFi routers will go through a big dip the coming months. It's a risk.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of Huawei phones and networking equipment as MiFi routers will go through a big dip the coming months. It's a risk.

Shops are already refusing Huawei trade-ins, so yeah it sucks.

And what about their partnership with Leica?

Refusing trade-ins? Wow.

It seems that the US has identified 68 companies, connected to Huawei, that would not be able to do business with them (anymore). Now I assume Leica will not be on that list. Still, it can not be optimistic concerning its (camera phone) sales. A year ago Leica stated they still believed in the partnership and even one month ago I read articles they were going strong together.

I'm also wondering what the impact on the other players in the market from PRC will be. As Vivo, Oppo, Doogee, ....

But I suppose Leica is interested in selling phones in the West too. They will probably have to move ships or at least add another manufacturer partnership.

If Huawei was not an arm of the Chinese government, it is now. Any normal company would go bankrupt if it can't buy chips, batteries, and have an OS to run the device. If Huawei continues, it will have the full backing of the Chinese government after this.

With the deep seated distrust many Indonesians have for the Chinese, I would be surprised if Indonesia did not jump on the bandwagon after this. I wonder how much economics will trump politics.

Huawei did bring this much of this upon themselves. They are under criminal investigation or indictment in Canada, the United States, Britain, and the EU. I doubt this will change the culture of stealing and cloning technology.

I mean, if you can't get Gmail, YouTube etc. anymore on your Huawei phone?

This has been officially banned in China for a long time. Most western social media is too. This is part of the issue. China wants access to sell its products to the world, but it won't allow the rest of the world equal access to the Chinese market.

Lol and you moaned that you couldn't post or send images and video for a few hours yesterday during the riot. How about this then in USA they just totally cut off your whole phone OS
Where's your dictatorship now

If one would state Huawei is/becomes the official PRC brand, wouldn't it be fair to call Google the one from the US (government)? ?

This is part of the issue. China wants access to sell its products to the world, but it won't allow the rest of the world equal access to the Chinese market.

That's the consequence / side effect of the everlasting cherry picking from capitalist systems and trying to keep that separate from the state ideology, isn't it?

But you have a point. We were looking at how to sell in PRC (with a large demand and HK being a bit saturated and even competing.

Well, it is hell on earth. If you want to have a presence on the Chinese market with their local (but huge) 'eBay' or 'Tokopedia' like systems for instance, you have to go through a lot of scrutiny. That translates itself in having to create a local company and making a huge deposit at the auction/shopping site.

A trade war between China and the US. It is looking like the US is afraid of rapid economic growth of China and its companies but on the other hand, China also adds many restrictions on foreign companies like China doesn't Netflix, Facebook etc in China. Things are critical.

China doesn't Netflix, Facebook etc in China

It goes a bit further than that; many Google products as Gmail, are blocked.

So then it's only a small step to also replace the Operating System (read: Android). If you have the internal market of billions of users and support of your government, you can get away with that.

And in other continents they wouldn't have a big problem adopting that system, if the price is right and the functionality available.

The operating system would be called Hongmeng in China, while in Europe and other continents it might be called Ark OS. First, the operating system will appear on the cheaper Huawei models on the Chinese market, specialized press reports based on information from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

At a later stage, Ark OS would appear on more and more expensive models and in more and more countries. That would only happen if the US enforces the trade ban of American companies with Huawei.

the Orange madman....

Popular item on AliExpress.

images

And China is investigating FedEx since the company did not deliver properly and did not show a professional attitude. Esp. Chinese companies were the victim of their malpractices according to Beijing.

But it is not revenge for Huawei [sic].

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James A