How to follow a court case progress

snpark

Cager
Curious about a drug case update progress. Any way to see online what happened? One of these celeb cases.

Always wondered what happened. Do they "pay" and get out but it's hushed up. Or they still show in the system?
Because you never actually see or hear anything ever again apart from the initial orange onesy press conference

No other court appearance? Sentencing? Etc

From what I know all court cases go to sentencing, somehow, sometime. The more money you have the faster it will go, but for drug cases even if you pay, you will spend time in jail for the best case. I read that there are at present a little less than 900 foreigners in Indonesian jails, the vast majority of them convicted for drug consumption or dealing.
I suppose it stays in the system because if a foreigner is sentenced, upon release he or she has to leave the country and may not return. Usually people who have spent time in this country's jail do not wish to return in any case. You can find few books written by Australian citizens who have enjoyed a stay in Bali's Kerobokan. Schapelle Corby is one of them, sentenced to 20 years but released after 9. Maybe she explains in her book how she managed to get out earlier.
I would be extremely surprised to find any court progress available online.
Most probably if you never hear anything after the first TV show it's either because a financial transaction has allowed to shorten the sentence, and one condition might very well be to just leave the country and say nothing, or because the convicted is still in jail waiting for the death sentence to be executed, or trying to survive until the end of his term...

Wow extremely helpful and interesting
Very easy and a LOT of info
Put in surname and got everything about the case, evidence, verdict, sentence etc even the account number of the bank book in her possession
Surprised how short the official sentence "less time served" which conveniently was almost the same as the sentencing date
So the person is free but I know how much was paid and it was a lot (drugs) but even so the official sentence was very short (months not years)

Wow extremely helpful and interesting
Very easy and a LOT of info
For what it's worth, under the public information law, every Pengadilan Negeri/Distict court should maintain such information resource (called sistem informasi penelesuran perkara). Most do.

To find them and track a case it's pretty easy since the URL is built systematically the same way.

It is sipp.pn-[name of the district court].go.id
If you look for a case in Denpasar, you then have to look for sipp.pn-denpasar.go.id. A case in Solo would be sipp.pn-solo.go.id...etc

I suppose it stays in the system because if a foreigner is sentenced, upon release he or she has to leave the country and may not return. Usually people who have spent time in this country's jail do not wish to return in any case. You can find few books written by Australian citizens who have enjoyed a stay in Bali's Kerobokan. Schapelle Corby is one of them, sentenced to 20 years but released after 9. Maybe she explains in her book how she managed to get out earlier.
Schappelle Corby has been paroled as she had the legal right to after having served two third of her term (remisi included). She had however to stay another 3 more years in Indonesia till the end of her legal term (again remisi included). From memory she got deported some time in mid 2017,

As per the narcotic and immigration laws, a drug conviction for a foreigner means an automatic deportation at the end of their sentence and theoretically, a life time ban. This is theory. I know a few cases where people succesfully managed to return legally, especially ex-Kerobokan inmate.

Reason is simple: quite a few of them were foreign residents with family and businesses here. Beside the highly publicized cases of foreigners being caught in airports with a few kilo of dope, the majority of cases in Bali are cases of foreign residents who think that the narcotic law doesn't apply to them.

Always wondered what happened. Do they "pay" and get out but it's hushed up. Or they still show in the system?
Because you never actually see or hear anything ever again apart from the initial orange onesy press conference
What makes papers being sold is the arrest, not the technicalities and lengthy, boring court sessions. Every medias would jump on a new case like dogs on a bone and loose interest past the second session.

In the Soeharto Era (and still shortly after) it was pretty easy to get off the hook for a wealthy local or a foreigner and get rid of a drug charge. Ask to one of my province Bupati, son of an eminent North Sulawesi politician. :D Got caughtt with two friends and ice and it never went to court. "Rehab" aja.

Till the end of the 90's bit of money was enough to escape prosecution. In the early 2000 judges, lawyers and prosecutors started to understand that such cases could bring a huge amount of kick backs and started to be much eager to bring these cases to adjudication.

The first prominent case involving a foreigner was the one of Michael Blanc. Bringing back from India a couple of scuba tanks loaded with charasse didn't go well for him. He got caught late 1999 I think and spent 14 years in Jail between Kerobokan, Madiun and Cipinang then another 4 years as a parolee in Jakarta.

I remember when I started to post legal information on LIIF that I got very surprised when an inmate from Kerobokan registered to the forum and PMed me to ask for basic legal information. It was not the fact that he could surf the internet from his cell which surprised me. We all know how Indonesian jails work. The guy was an African and had been left with NO information about how to appeal by his lawyer since he didn't get the money he (lawyer) was trying to extort him! That was the surprise.

After him a few others did the same and all had pretty much the same story to tell. Extortion from lawyers, prosecutors and judges. Were they telling the truth? Well, my own experience of justice tells me that most of the extortion stories they shared were not tales. In my own, non drug related, case, even the panitera tried to steal from me my Oakley sunglasses and when I told him to sod off, believe me, he took it pretty bad. :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back