Fine dress shoes

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
For those who have to suit up every day, any suggestions on where to find decent dress shoes, size 45, preferably an oxford whole cut or captoe?

With decent I mean goodyear welted by the likes of Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Lobb, Santoni.

I know there's a Berluti shop, but they are pretty much the worst value for money you can get considering their quality. Louboutin isn't quality as much as it is style, Ferragamo (Trans) and Linea (Map) rarely have anything above a 44.

Since most know that finding high quality shoes in Indonesia is pretty tough and if you do, priced over anything that would be considered acceptable, why don't people buy them when they are not in Indonesia or buy them on line and have them shipped in?

Since most know that finding high quality shoes in Indonesia is pretty tough and if you do, priced over anything that would be considered acceptable, why don't people buy them when they are not in Indonesia or buy them on line and have them shipped in?

Obviously overseas is an option, however it would be nice to have some options locally..

I don't buy shoes online simply as the fit for each shoe is different, and I'm not going to buy a ~1000 dollar pair of shoes that turn out not to be the ideal fit and can't be returned as it has been stuck with customs trying to extort me for a month.

they are pretty good and high quality owned by local guy with deep roots in traditional Italian shoemaking.

they are pretty good and high quality owned by local guy with deep roots in traditional Italian shoemaking.

Went to their store in Lotte but was not impressed. They had a few models on display that were ok, however I a letdown was the leather. They offered a bespoke service which I jumped upon after hearing the price of 4,5jt only to be utterly disappointed to learn that it is basically MTM and even then pretty limited.

No possibilities for fiddled waists, lasted shoetrees, metal toe taps, non-standard colored lining etc. Choice of leathers was also limited, patina creation nonexistent.

Currently working with the owner of "Winson Shoes" out of Bandung on creating something, very very happy so far and I'm looking forward to the end result.

$1000 per/pair of shoes.

Flight to Singapore $200

Seems like a reasonable insurance policy.

Just tried a pair of John varvatos shoes at a store in pondok indah mall (forgot the name but next to pizza Express in PIM2). Asking for around $200 for the pair of ankle boots with vibram soles.

I would hardly call John Varvatos a maker of fine dress shoes firstly (no offence) and since their website shows the boots being $700+ a pair, I would imagine those in the PIM mall are not genuine?
https://www.johnvarvatos.com/mens-boots/

Yeah it was the closest I can get to, although one pair was actually not horrible, comfortable and had decent leather. If it was more like 100 bucks, and had my size, I may have bought it. I liked the finish on the leather. Best I can describe is vintage dusty carbon. Gray black but not shiny. I can't find that look anywhere. I like the dusty look

I didn't mean to sound pretentious or snobby, just when I think of fine dress shoes, JV was not top of my list. A bit like saying Tommy Hilfiger makes nice shoes too. Or buying a Pierre Cardine suit from their "boutique" in Dubai

However for $100 that seems about right - heck even Clarks in Kuncy or Sency are over 2jt a pair

Although we are all aware of high markup on "designer" labels, have you not tried Gucci, Louboutin, Armani here? I guess (like me) the problem is size?
How about Tods?

I didn't mean to sound pretentious or snobby, just when I think of fine dress shoes, JV was not top of my list. A bit like saying Tommy Hilfiger makes nice shoes too. Or buying a Pierre Cardine suit from their "boutique" in Dubai

Hehe yeah, this was more business casual. And yeah you're right. The store wasn't even a brand store, just one of those that sells different brands (I also looked at Cole Haan there). Just that none of the shoes on display looked interesting enough for me to buy.

However for $100 that seems about right - heck even Clarks in Kuncy or Sency are over 2jt a pair

Although we are all aware of high markup on "designer" labels, have you not tried Gucci, Louboutin, Armani here? I guess (like me) the problem is size?
How about Tods?

Yeah, for one thing I don't like spending my money on mark ups, so I haven't really bought any. Along with that though, I also haven't seen any models that are of interest. Something's always off, color, texture, comfort, etc. I'm more normal in size, but the proportion is "off". So I always have to try the shoes. I'm also picky about the look of the shoes, more or less classic and not so flashy. And I have enough brown and black shoes that I'm really looking for that special pair.

But the biggest thing that made me hesitant in paying too much money for a pair of shoes (or anything else really) is that I'm not rich enough. By that I mean I don't only work out of offices, I don't have a driver that picks me up and drops me off at lobbies. I still do a fair bit of walking. And in Indonesia you just can't buy nice things.... especially shoes, when you still have to do quite a bit of walking. Or taking ojeks. I've had too many of my shoes scuffed or even heavily scuffed (and I don't know how to restore it even if it could) because I tripped over a hole or a raised up bit of cement, rocks, etc.
Anyway, do let me know how you're getting on and other experiences. Especially if you find someone here who have a good stock of vintage dusty leather they can make into a pair of comfortable business casual shoes :D

That's the other problem as you said - they will get wrecked here in the first day stumbling around on uneven kerbs etc or puddles that are 6 inches deep - you could do what the girls do and wear flat or cheap shoes / trainers on the ojek and switch when you are in the office?

try www.undandy.com it keeps coming up on my newsfeed on fb, no idea if any good but you can design your own and they have big sizes

On a whim I bought some Mario minardi that fit well enough since the price was deeply discounted (less than 100usd total). Goodyear welt and decent enough upper materials. Let's see.... Just haven't had time to deal with Winston.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back