Divorce, KITAP and right to work

Well, CEO and HR directors are excluded anyway and the 1:10 rule does/did not apply to directors, but for the rest...

Big Japanese bank has moved its directors to Singapore. Granted, it was also BI pressure and not only Depnaker.

Best of luck, all4ywh. Thank you for that detailed recounting of your conversation. I'm sure it will help many people gain insights into how things work here.
Although every week I check out this forum to read & learn from various threads, I do not submit posts often therefore I felt it was necessary for me to submit a few detailed posts in this thread to assist anyone who may have to encounter the same "headache" as I have endured.

If you are married less than 10 years and have KITAP you can report a new sponsor, but his means that the sponsor has to be vested by imigrasi, meaning can be refused as well. Somebody also had a case like this one and the sponsor was refused. But can you report another new sponsor if the previous one is refused or you already spent your 60 days?

During my meeting with that officer on february 22nd, the only thing which was discussed about the 60-day window was that the officer confirmed I had fulfilled the requirement to submit a new sponsor, and if my friend is not accepted as my new sponsor : within 7 days of my receiving notification about the decision letter (Surat Keputusan) from the National Immigration Office, I would be required to exit Indonesia. My friend already was vested by the immigration office in Tangerang.

Last edited:
@jstar
Actually, there is no more 1:10 rule for a couple of years.
However, IMTA process was never harder than now. It is a slow and non-effective process even Indonesia hardly issues 100.000 work permits per year.

Update...whewww : yesterday I learned that my change of sponsor request for my ITAP was approved! :thumb:

However as I previously wrote in my posts #11 & #14 : due to divorce because my “unlimited/lifetime” ITAP already was canceled but my request to change sponsor was approved, at this time I must still pay a new 5-year ITAP fee of IDR 3,7 million and a new 2-year MERP (exit-entry permit) fee of IDR 1,8 million. I was told that in 5 years if my friend still is the same sponsor, then at that time my ITAP renewal will be for the “unlimited/lifetime” ITAP. Ironically the same "negative tone" officer at the DirJen office in Jakarta who I met on february 22nd was the same officer who yesterday informed me that my request was approved, but he would not inform me about which specific immigration regulation states that based on my situation I must pay again the full fees for a ITAP & 2-year MERP. However, after receiving the approval to continue with permanent resident status in Indonesia and at this time not desiring to agitate his superiors at the DirJen office, I decided to hold my tongue and not protest about the required new payment of fees. If it turns out that for only the past 14 months I paid the amount of IDR 12 million for my previous short-term “unlimited/lifetime” ITAP : I equate that payment as affording me the opportunity for all those months to be nearby by two young children – time enjoyed & cherished which is priceless...:bounce::bounce:

Yes good news, but just to be mosey, why didn’t they approve your first sponsor, was any reason given, or will it remain to you one of life’s mysteries

My "first" & previous sponsor was my former wife. She refused to continue as my sponsor after our divorce. Additionally I was told by officers at both the local immigration office and DirJen office in Jakarta that because of our divorce even though my former wife is a citizen of Indonesia : she could not continue as sponsor for my ITAP.

Any comments on my situation?

• Marriage is over 10 years
  • Divorce is not yet complete, but will be done outside Indonesia (so they won't find out unless we tell them)
  • I am KITAP holder on first KITAP, since last year

Hence:

• Is there any time limit to notify them?
  • Any fee?
  • Does my KITAP start afresh?
  • If I do not notify them immediately presumably there would be a need to notify them before doing a new MERP, as I guess there is some form there involving KTP istri, etc., so it wouldn't be correct to renew without correcting this at this point.

Obviously I have time, as the divorce might not complete for another six months or whatever, and then the MERP lasts longer than that. And who knows if I will still want a KITAP in a year or so.

But at least I want to anticipate it.

How do you plan to tackle the change of sponsorship?

NB: You wouldn't lose the current KITAP (PP 31/2013):

(1) For mixed (foreigner/Indonesian) marriage that has lasted 10 (ten) years or more, a Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP sponsored by the Indonesian spouse shall remain valid although his/her marriage has ended due to divorce and/or upon court decision.

(2) Holder of the Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP as contemplated in clause (1) shall have a sponsor who has an Indonesian citizenship

Last edited:
well that is kind of the question isn't it? If I have to change sponsor (for which I can probably find a sponsor), do I need a new kitap?

See above. If you don't lose the KITAP and can change sponsorship, why would you think you'd restart with a new one?

I assume there are no kids? No involvement of a religious court?

Divorce outside Indonesia. Kids.

The point being there is a report above about being forced to make a.new kitap .but maybe that is because married less than 10 years

Hi,

I am in the process of starting procedure for a working KITAP, does anyone know how much is the going rate usually to get one of these?

cheers

I am currently still married but would like to know would I have similar problems should I divorce my husband of 20 years. I am on unlimited KITAP. My son is an Indonesian citizen. I have not been to UK in 13 years. Currently he is not keen to divorce but I would like to some time in the next few years.

I’m still not completely sure what the issue with @all4ywh was (proposing the wrong sponsor - really, the ex? Being in a working situation - the anticipation he would work as WNA with non spousal sponsorship? ..... ).

But the everlasting problem we see and hear is the choice of sponsor; that’s something to think about, esp. with a divorce. (With passing away of the WNI spouse it’s a bit more straightforward and easier with the family-in-law).

So, I am also getting a divorce, having been married more for than ten years. I am also on an unlimited ITAP. Can anyone provide an anecdote regarding the need for another sponsor?
The text above makes no specific requirements for an ITAP holder in my situation to find and present a sponsor (though it is very specific as regards ITAP holders with a marriage of less than 10 years).
If anyone has experienced this process, I would be very thankful for the information. I'm scratching my head over how I can afford to pay for another ITAP so soon after paying for the first unlimited one.

Another bite at the apple... If divorced ITAP holder needed a sponsor, but was to retain the same sponsor (my soon to be ex wife), wouldn't that further counter indicate he need for a new ITAP?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back