Coping with lockdown.

Vanhelsing

Cager
A week into isolation and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Writing, editing photos, playing guitar, travel research, YouTube and general internet surfing have made time slide by with reasonable comfort. My friends upstairs are baking a lot so I've been finding fresh bread, scones and cake regularly at my door - I dread setting foot on the scales after quarantine.

Are many of you in self-imposed lockdown currently? If lockdown should become compulsory for you, how might you busy your self, or what will be your coping strategies??

I may ask my gardener and house helpers to go home to their kampungs (paid leave) and wait for my call when to return. In the meantime, I will have to do the gardening and grass cutting myself (good exercise) and my wife will have to do all the cooking and baking herself (like the good old days). We both like to read and we have many books waiting for us. Last but not least, there is TV and internet.

Certainly a lot fewer cars on the road and quite a number of small shops closed but otherwise at least in the Jimbaran area of Bali things are pretty normal although it does seem that people are going out less. Walked for a couple of miles this morning to a local little computer shop and market for some fruit and vegetables. An occasional mask but no sense of excitement.

A swim tomorrow at Jimbaran beach where there are much fewer people around and quite a number of the waterfront food places are shut. The availability of the internet seems to make things much easier to keep in touch and if one were to be locked down it is a great resource.

I may ask my gardener and house helpers to go home to their kampungs (paid leave) and wait for my call when to return. In the meantime, I will have to do the gardening and grass cutting myself (good exercise) and my wife will have to do all the cooking and baking herself (like the good old days). We both like to read and we have many books waiting for us. Last but not least, there is TV and internet.
https://m.mediaindonesia.com/read/d...egera-tutup-arus-transportasi-ke-luar-jakarta
According to the above article, they may not be able to get out after tomorrow.

We are super busy with household stuff, gardening, work and so on. Hubby has been busy carving things, I am busy writing and planning & my usual wheeler dealing.
To be honest I haven't had time to spit.
My lease on the rental place was due to finish on Tuesday & I figured it would be extremely unlikely that I would need it again in the coming months, plus I had left stuff in the fridge when I came home for the weekend... so we did a mad dash there yesterday to clear my stuff out - by private car, me driving, did not come into contact with anyone & wore gloves/ masks/ copious amounts of sanitizing goop (mentioning that before anyone criticises my movement from one city to another) & we wiped all surfaces down with disinfectant & disinfected the keys before leaving them on the desk. The whole trip, there back, packing & unpacking took around 6 & half hours!

It was quite heartening to see the 5+ metre distance between us & the landlord being kept by him.
Some people are really paying attention to advice.
The roads were dead too which I guess will facilitate the shut downs.

Now back to my hunkering down until it all disappears.
I find staying home no hardship but we did shop wisely for our home - I would be less happy if I was stuck in a small place/apartment/kost with no outdoor space.
I have home brew to start and bread to bake and all kinds of other things to be busy with, not least growing some veg.
The ones in the Kost rooms are the ones I really feel for as I can't imagine anything much worse.
For those stuck in a small place remember a book is a portal into a whole new world. :)
Keep safe everyone.

apparently Tasikmalaya is locking down tomorrow 1 April.
Speaking to the neighbour who works at Yogya... they had a bunch of "new faces" in the store buying lots and lots of stuff yesterday.......... grrrr

I have to admit that I enjoy quite a lot the lockdown.

Almost no work and a bunch of BBQ planned with the kids and rare (selected) friends.

Two nights ago was an hamburger mini party with wife and a friend of ours in a corner of the land and the kids in another BBQing their own stuff. Spent some time elaborating a nice quinoa salad packed with other healthy stuff in the afternoon, then I opened an old 1997 Gewurstraminer vendanges tardives/late harvest. It wasn't has superb as I expected but at least it had nothing to do with the coronavirus. Probably just inadequate conditions of storage since it made it to Indonesia.

I have done a thorough inventory of what we have in our warehouse, chillers and cold rooms which "best before" is in the next 6 months or so and I definitiley intend to personally take care of it. Among that there is caviar which has to be consumed before July, but also porcini, chanterelles, smoked salmon, frozen croissant butter and a few other nice stuff. I am not complaining about the situation.

If any of you have tips, advises and a complete diet program for "after the coronavirus", please send them my way. Something tells me that I will have to consider it. :D

Plus I have 3 kids (and the gf of my elder) to take care of, making sure they do their homework or uni researches, exercise...etc. This in itself is a full time job.

If you're worried about your diet and are worried you won't eat it all, feel free to send it to me, I'll pay for the shipping 🤣

I have to admit that I enjoy quite a lot the lockdown

If any of you have tips, advises and a complete diet program for "after the coronavirus", please send them my way. Something tells me that I will have to consider it. :D

How about this one below

Certainly a lot fewer cars on the road and quite a number of small shops closed but otherwise at least in the Jimbaran area of Bali things are pretty normal although it does seem that people are going out less. Walked for a couple of miles this morning to a local little computer shop and market for some fruit and vegetables. An occasional mask but no sense of excitement.

A swim tomorrow at Jimbaran beach where there are much fewer people around and quite a number of the waterfront food places are shut. The availability of the internet seems to make things much easier to keep in touch and if one were to be locked down it is a great resource.
Just a thought Harry ,many of the beaches are closed kuta etc ,you may have an issue for your swim at jimbaran ,unfortunately.

Hello guys... hope everybody is healthy , away from Covid 19.
Its been 10 days since I WFH and I’ve been out twice, first one to the bank and 2nd was yesterday to Hero ( last visit was 2 weeks ago),
so i guess shopping every 2 weeks is enough. this Hero still got plenty of toilet rolls, rice, pasta, noodle etc..lol but lack of chicken, sugar, Vit C, UC1000.

2 peoples from Kota Wisata died recently, they both positive covid 19, they both related with the religious gathering in Bandung early.
I am not being paranoid but precaution is need it. I always wear a mask every time out of the house.

My son is still in Netherland, study from home, can’t go out unless to supermarket or chemist. Can not be seen on the street with more than 3 peoples at time.. accidently or intentionaly. 😢otherwise you’ll get fine from €300

Just a thought Harry ,many of the beaches are closed kuta etc ,you may have an issue for your swim at jimbaran ,unfortunately.
Went just after 2pm and no problem. The waterfront cafes that used to do a roaring evening trade with tables on the beach were closed as were also stalls selling coconut and bintang. About 30 people spread over half a mile or so.

At C-Fresh, the largest Asian Grocery in Des Moines, Iowa's capital city and 40 miles to the NW of us, there was absolutely no rice. The store usually has one long row of shelves stacked almost to the ceiling with 50 pound bags of rice in varieties most Americans have never heard of. All gone, completely empty. Iowa has around 3.5 juta population with 336 covid-19 cases & 4 deaths, so far.

Schools are shuttered, probably until the end of the term. My primary function is to find productive activities to fill the void for my 9th grader. The school has an on line program where teachers post videos, readings, work sheets, experiments, etc. -- that helps, but getting my student to be a student for to commit to morning and and afternoon 2 hours sessions is meeting with limited success. We also have exercise time which today consists of tamping down all the golfer tunnels in the front and back yards.

Last edited:
The house where I'm isolating isn't far from a major freeway where one can hear the rush of traffic during peak times throughout the day. As Australians begin to take the virus more seriously and restrict their movement, the freeway has fallen silent giving the area an air of quiet eeriness.

Drove back to Jakarta last night to pick up a few things from our house in case they have a lockdown. Absolutely deserted. In half an hour only one motorbike went past our house (10pm), normally it would be several a minute. No-one hanging around on the streets although a few warung still open. Not sure if I prefer it like this, or the usual chaos and traffic.

Waarmie, can't believe your kid is a 9th grader now! How time flies.

I heard a comedian on the radio describe the shelter-in-place as "an introvert's paradise." Yup, that's me. Cooking*, reading, playing word games, listening to music, procrastinating on work ... it's easy to stay busy.

*Tomorrow I'm making this unusual Surinam Cherry sambal that was evidently invented by a couple of Balinese women while staying Florida. There are a couple of prolific Surinam Cherry trees in my yard, which I've ignored until now because I'd been told the fruit is kind weird. But now I have the luxury of free time to see for myself. I just macerated a batch, and I must say the smell is lovely.

We also have exercise time which today consists of tamping down all the golfer tunnels in the front and back yards.

never heard of them, I'm imagining fair sized tunnels, are they to get from the putting green to the next tee or something?

Sorry, that's gopher tunnels, of course. They both do utilize holes in the ground, though.

My personal favorite is the go-fer tunnel, through which throngs of butlers, valets, and servers silently glide as they do my bidding.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maria clara