Child Support Payments Query

No, I didn't say "dont send".
Amount : You send to cover the cost of the kid, clothing, school fee, food, books and pens. Not to feed the whole family. As such, sending an amount that is the local wage for and adult is over the top IMO.
Controls : How do you control how the money is spend, and the progress of the kid ? 100% trust ?
That’s exactly my original question. How much approximately do you send for the child ONLY???? I don’t get any communication, receipts or anything from the ex. So its a guessing game for the last 6 years. I put some money in my ex’s bank account what I think & then it’s solely up to the mother to be responsible & spend it accordingly. Ive never known what its spent on. Before our child was born I built her a very big 3 bedroom house with everything for a comfortable life style for the future. No house payments or rent is paid. An average amount in Australia dollars is all i’m Asking for. Thank you for everyone’s personal opinion. Some is helpful & some is not.

But it also depends on your own circumstances. If you can afford $500 then send $500.

There's no minimum or maximum where your own child is concerned.
Obviously no need to send thousands every month. But $500 minimum would be a decent amount to raise a young child and up to you if you want to pay school separately on top also

Good of you to have built a home for them already

I think the "Moral of the Story" that may lead to the best outcome is to provide enough money to suppliment the ex's family income to care for the child. Not to become the main source of it. $500 a month seems a bit high to provide for a 6 year old kid in a poor area of Bogor.

Using the family's impoverished circumstance as a factor in determining how much is enough leaves a hollow feeling in my stomach. I am not sure how the OP can give his daughter a chance at a happy, prosperous and productive life, but that should be the goal.
That some other members of the household will likely benefit, as well, is a peripheral issue. It is, in my view, a condition that the OP accepted, even if unknowingly, when he fathered the child.

Finally someone gets my point. It's not about the minimum you can pay and get away with. It should be the most you can afford to give your blood daughter a better life and education and future so she doesn't have to stay in Bogor forever surviving on $500 just like all her family have done before.

That's why I said if he can afford it then $500 pm plus the schooling would be a decent start.

If the OP makes $10,000 a month (and a professional expat in his 40's should be) then maybe he can add value to his daughter's life by giving her a better education or something so she doesn't grow up to be a cashier in Alfamart.

Again this is not personal against the OP but if you come on a public forum asking how much min or max should you pay for your child every month then you will get a range of answers.

Pay what you can comfortably afford while making sure it goes to benefit her first and then drip down to the supporting family later. Even something like a laptop later will help but make sure the drunken uncle doesn't steal it and sell it for drug money later

And the last sentence you wrote @snpark was the whole point some of us wanted to make...

.... so the making sure the money will benefit the child is the big issue.

Last edited:
Yes, child first and anything genuinely "left" can improve the family lie which also benefits the kid too. Example the roof of the home leaking, new toilet, a/c, water heater etc

Anyway I think the OP gets the point now. There is no set amount, it depends on how much you want to give really, but for a kampung lifestyle in a poorer area then $500 would be sufficient to ensure a basic upbringing for an 8 year old, disregarding what the OP earns etc.

Unless you are actually there you can have no idea how the money will be spent.

Exactly. And 500 AUD (I suppose) is around 5 M IDR, seems over the top to cover 1 young kid expenses in a rural village.
So, SURE most of it will be diverted for other purposes.
But if those "other purposes" improve the general life of the kid (clothes,room, better food...) up to the OP. I am not very confident in this, thats all.
And I know the live in a rural village in East Java, as I spend 25% of my time there.
Just my 2 cents.

You’re a good man!

It may have been said..
You could also create a saving account for when she is big.

Pay the school tuition, books and uniform uniform directly to the school. Send enough money to eat properly and the rest keep it in an account as the child would need lots of money to go to college.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back