Can Kitap holder leave indonesia without taking his Kitap?

Well I guess different Imigrasi offices use different stamps; mine was issued in Bali...do yours have different expiry dates?

Yes, of course. 5 Year for KITAP, 2 year for MERP

Yes, of course. 5 Year for KITAP, 2 year for MERP

does this mean when you have 2 expired Merps you will have to pay for another 2year Merp but your Itap will expire with a year remaining and becomes invalid,or can it be used on kitap extension..surely you can,t buy half a merp

does this mean when you have 2 expired Merps you will have to pay for another 2year Merp but your Itap will expire with a year remaining and becomes invalid,or can it be used on kitap extension..surely you can,t buy half a merp

There are 6 month and 1 year MERPs also and these would probably come into play after 2, 2 year MERPs.

Fastpitch is probably correct that a 1 year MERP may be available after the 2nd/ 2 year MERP expires.... coinciding with completion of the 5 year ITAP expiry date.

A question others have asked here and elsewhere is...will the 2nd, and maybe 3rd MERP, be mandatory. Many expats living in RI don't ever leave but are currently mandated to pay for a MERP. I haven't heard of a satisfactory answer to that but many have opined it unlikely that Imigrasi will forgo that income...we'll wait and see what happens when someone comes up against that issue.

A question others have asked here and elsewhere is...will the 2nd, and maybe 3rd MERP, be mandatory. Many expats living in RI don't ever leave but are currently mandated to pay for a MERP. I haven't heard of a satisfactory answer to that but many have opined it unlikely that Imigrasi will forgo that income...we'll wait and see what happens when someone comes up against that issue.
By law, an ITAS/ITAP holder is supposed to have a valid MERP at ALL time, Davita. Like he is also supposed to have an SKTT or a KTP OA/WNA. However, the law being very loosely enforced many will not renew their MERP at the expiration of the first 2 year leg and other won't bother with a SKTT or a KTP.

By law, an ITAS/ITAP holder is supposed to have a valid MERP at ALL time, Davita. Like he is also supposed to have an SKTT or a KTP OA/WNA. However, the law being very loosely enforced many will not renew their MERP at the expiration of the first 2 year leg and other won't bother with a SKTT or a KTP.

Thanks Atlantis...you inspired me to check on the Gov't Regs. to UU6/2011 and Ch 2, Sect 2, Art 5, confirms your post above....to summarize..."foreigners with Kitas/Kitap must have legal, valid re-entry permit."

Personally I'd always want a MERP but it is quite clear that others, happy to never leave RI may need to get one or.... when they eventually do exit, assuming still breathing.... they may be penalized.

Your inspiration also indicates the translated UU (135 pages) and Govt Regs (178 pages) can give me something to read during next years's Nyepi.
I can go into my cupboard under the stairs, which I loosely call the wine cellar, and study those documents using an LED lamp attached around my skull...:evil:

The lack of motivation to get a MERP renewal I can understand, but for a KTP? :noidea:

ya a ktp is useful and of course mandatory , but a merp , what a waste of money if your not traveling .

The lack of motivation to get a MERP renewal I can understand, but for a KTP? :noidea:
I was discussing with the kepala dinas of my catatan sipil some time ago. He informed me that they had issued only 16 SKTT for the province and that we were only 4 to have a KTP OA. Conclusion: it seems that my province has only 20 foreign resident. The problem with this conclusion being of course that I know already many more of this breed.

Note that I was impressed by the figure given by the Kepala Dinas. I even suspected that he was bragging: none, yes none, of my friends and acquaintances have a KTP or a SKTT. Many keep asking me how to do it and tell me that they should be doing it, but every year I have the same questions.

I was discussing with the kepala dinas of my catatan sipil some time ago. He informed me that they had issued only 16 SKTT for the province and that we were only 4 to have a KTP OA. Conclusion: it seems that my province has only 20 foreign resident. The problem with this conclusion being of course that I know already many more of this breed.

Note that I was impressed by the figure given by the Kepala Dinas. I even suspected that he was bragging: none, yes none, of my friends and acquaintances have a KTP or a SKTT. Many keep asking me how to do it and tell me that they should be doing it, but every year I have the same questions.

Heck, my fight, which is still going on but hopefully close to done, is that the DINAS here tells me only Koreans and Chinese can get a KITAP so get KTPs. Just in case, they are sending me back to Jakarta to get yet another form from yet another CatSip.

I got my KITAP last month and there are two distinct stamps in my passport. One for KITAP, one for MERP.

Heck, my fight, which is still going on but hopefully close to done, is that the DINAS here tells me only Koreans and Chinese can get a KITAP so get KTPs. Just in case, they are sending me back to Jakarta to get yet another form from yet another CatSip.

So.... please help me understand...are you Korean or Chinese?

Wow...what the actual fuck??

Hey, it's the norm for my CatSip DINAS. Seldom do they get anything correct. Thus the trips back and forth to Jakarta to get something because what they wanted before was wrong. Sorry but you need to fix it answers is what we get. The curse of being the only Bule/ non Asian in the area. There are a few others but they all keep their Jakarta residencies for Immigration and State purposes. I just tried to follow the rules but unfortunately, no one here seems to know the rules. No problem, AGO contacted them and told them they better get their shit straight or else. Ah, family benefits.

....If your nationality has no visa free or VoA facilities for Indonesia, they will ask you about visa before you fly to RI. If you state you have temporary or permanent residency in Indonesia, you will need something to show them...
I am not sure whether there is English translation in the latest version of KITAP . If there is not, does an MERP serve as a proof before you can fly to Indonesia if your nationality has no visa free or VOA facilities for Indonesia?

Last edited:
Then you’d need a SKTT or a KTP OA. Even when I take a flight ‘home’ I need to show my Indonesian ID when I check in for the return flight on the way back to Indonesia. They don’t accept the KITAP. (Well they have no idea what it is in fact.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back