Can I shoot Youtube without a work visa?

takeshi

Let me introduce myself first, I have married my Indonesian wife in 2019

I entered Indonesia with a tourist visa. I will go to Singapore one day after week and then return to Indonesia . Use VOA to get more time for my family visa and change to kitas

My question is, I don't have any work in Indonesia at present, if I only want shoot Youtube as my "work". Do I violate any laws?

I'm sorry if my English is not good

Thank you

Last edited:
Technically it is not work, but it is commercial filming/video shooting activities . There is a specific visa for that.

https://consular.embassyofindonesia.org/visa/genv/JLV/getstarted.html

They have arrested, imprisoned, and deported people for photo shoots and documentary film makers in Indonesia. If you look like a pro, make a lot of money from youtube, or portray anything in the country in a negative way, you increase your chances of getting caught.

Regardless of the visa dangers aside, you need to be extremely careful here what you film and publish online. People have been sued and gone to jail here for the most petty mundane things. It's a serious thing. Even posting a video of someone's shop sign and mocking its English can get you a jail term

Personally I'd steer clear. There must be something else you can do? Even on a local package.
Just don't become another "teacher"

Thank you for reply
I never imagined that Indonesia is so rigorous ... I just want to record life and food or travel videos with my wife ... This may also violate the law, I think I should delete the four videos I uploaded, so in Is it illegal for Indonesia to become a Youtuber? Even national?

Last edited:
i have seen few youtube channel that focused on family vlog in Indonesia, i personaly think you will be fine. as long you stay away from sensitive topic such as religion, fornication or human right

i have seen few youtube channel that focused on family vlog in Indonesia, i personaly think you will be fine. as long you stay away from sensitive topic such as religion, fornication or human right
Yes I know i never touch about religion, fornication or human right...i really feeling disappointed and This made me consider whether to continue applying for a residence permit and take wife back to the motherland

Yes I know i never touch about religion, fornication or human right...i really feeling disappointed and This made me consider whether to continue applying for a residence permit and take wife back to the motherland

I think some of the concerns that some posters have mentioned are valid, but hugely exaggerated. There are tons of foreigners in Bali right now making a living off of social media, and the majority of them are not even on a spousal visa.

Btw when you married your Indonesian wife didn't you think or plan back then about what to do, where to live etc or did you just think fuck it I will be a vlogger or sosmed influencer to survive?
How could you get married without a job or any future plan of income

Anyway it's a risky thing to do. It makes you a public figure and easy to be identified and tracked down

I still have income from real estate in my country, so I'm not worried about living funds, and I resigned from the coding engineer last month. I just want to do something that I think makes sense. Being a Youtuber is not only for the money, I just feel a little disappointed. I love Indonesia and want to live here, so I left work and came to Indonesia. My wife also returned to Indonesia from abroad, but I did not expect that Indonesian laws are so strict and make us feel Discomfort
im sorry make you feel like i am a person without any plan

Last edited:
Yes and all illegal

To play devil's advocate: where does it become illegal? If I posted a video on youtube about... I dunno, gardening, and monetize it and it makes me some money, which law did I break?

Can you imagine the drop off in tourism numbers if Indonesia actually prosecutes foreign influencers/youtubers? Lol...

To play devil's advocate: where does it become illegal? If I posted a video on youtube about... I dunno, gardening, and monetize it and it makes me some money, which law did I break?

Can you imagine the drop off in tourism numbers if Indonesia actually prosecutes foreign influencers/youtubers? Lol...

As you know, we have discussed this many times and it is arguably a grey area but not one where you would want to be the first to test the system

I doubt the drop off would really be THAT much, because they are not the big spenders. They sit in starbucks cradling a latte for 6 hours hogging the bandwith and all live in $150 a month kos anyway

As you know, we have discussed this many times and it is arguably a grey area but not one where you would want to be the first to test the system

Is it tho? The "grey area" is where a spousal KITAS/P holder works for and Indonesian company that is otherwise capable of applying for IMTA. I don't think there is a grey area for a professional tourist posting videos on Youtube and monetizing it. I think this is strictly legal. As evidence, I submit approximately 1 million Youtube videos/Instagram posts about Indonesia...

As additional evidence, I submit the Czech "influencers" who have apparently lived in Indonesia for 7 years on SosBud and this only became a problem when they uploaded pictures of themselves washing their bums in a temple's holy water...as far as I know they're still in Bali too.

I doubt the drop off would really be THAT much, because they are not the big spenders. They sit in starbucks cradling a latte for 6 hours hogging the bandwith and all live in $150 a month kos anyway

The drop off would be from the obviously coming headlines like "Indonesia Arrests Tourist for Posting Videos on Youtube". Lol, it's not happening.

Sasha Stephenson would be locked up for life if foreigners putting up videos about Indonesia was really that dangerous, wouldn't she? Or is she a special case for some reason?

She's a professional actress and lives here permanently on the right visa

She's a professional actress and lives here permanently on the right visa
Was she the right visa when uploading the video? Or is she a special case because she is a "professional actor"?

I don’t understand what the big deal is. The filming visa is the same price as most other visas. Is it the processing time?

It is like every other visa category in Indonesia, enforcement isn’t consistent. The majority of the time the resources to track and trace everyone that uploads a video to YouTube is not with it. If a person hires a crew it become pretty obvious. Remember the model photo shoot in Bali where everyone was arrested and deported? Sacha Stevenson made videos for one of her acting friends being denied reentry because they thought he was abusing the visa rules, and she deleted all of them because they hurt more than they helped. The blogger who wrote “fuck imigrasi” and was deported. Hell, they have deported foreign volunteers after disasters because it is considered work and the volunteer was taking away work that an Indonesian could have been paid for. Not following the rules simply gives someone in the government an excuse to get rid of you. Break the rules and piss off the wrong person and the next thing you know you get blacklisted. Up to you if you if you take the risk.

The right visa for her profession which is professional actress or something similar. I believe she is employed by a tv channel

The right visa for her profession which is professional actress or something similar. I believe she is employed by a tv channel

This is your speculation. Even if she is on a KITAP, employed by a TV channel that has an IMTA for her, it still would not cover her private youtube work. An IMTA is only valid for work at the employer where it was issued.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back