BI Forbids Double Swiping of Cards

View attachment 303

The second wipe in question is when they swipe your card on a little card reader attached to the POS as outlined above.
This has always irked me, but I have just chalked it up to "T.I.I." and religiously checked my statements each month.

Why TF do they need to swipe the card in the machine after the bankcard terminal has already confirmed payment??? If the answer is "because corporate tells them to", then why TF does corporate need cashiers to do so???
 
This has always irked me, but I have just chalked it up to "T.I.I." and religiously checked my statements each month.

Why TF do they need to swipe the card in the machine after the bankcard terminal has already confirmed payment??? If the answer is "because corporate tells them to", then why TF does corporate need cashiers to do so???

"Merchants do this to record the mode of payment for accounting purposes and to collect cardholders' personal data for marketing purposes such as loyalty programmes."
 
"Merchants do this to record the mode of payment for accounting purposes and to collect cardholders' personal data for marketing purposes such as loyalty programmes."
"Accounting purposes..." They already have the electronic trail from the bank machine, and can just press "card" for payment method... As for loyalty programs, most of the major chains already have loyalty cards... Either way, customers should absolutely have the right to opt-out of the POS swipe after the merchant has already completed the bank terminal transaction.
 
Really!...you need to go the thread Cryptocurrencies and tell Bad_Ass...she'll be happy to debate.

Yep,.......I'm sure BA could out debate me on many things but my reference to cash as king is in connection with the topic of this thread & card security problems being as they are in Indonesia.

I haven't even opened the crypto currencies thread but now that you've brought it to my attention I'll try to make a point of doing so....... anyway, I'm not really a debater, I'm more of an ideas man .... :)
 
Maybe the amount that marketing companies pay for the data is substantial.
 
Yep,.......I'm sure BA could out debate me on many things but my reference to cash as king is in connection with the topic of this thread & card security problems being as they are in Indonesia.

I haven't even opened the crypto currencies thread but now that you've brought it to my attention I'll try to make a point of doing so....... anyway, I'm not really a debater, I'm more of an ideas man .... :)

May I draw your attention to this....
Mission Statement
The Expat Indo Forum and site is dedicated to the sharing of information and a community for everyone, ....'

If your wish is to make overt statements like "Cash is & always has been king for good reason.', and not qualify with a reason, then I don't see how that helps.
My intent was to comply with the forum's stated mission and attempt a discussion based on your statement.
 
May I draw your attention to this....
Mission Statement
The Expat Indo Forum and site is dedicated to the sharing of information and a community for everyone, ....'

If your wish is to make overt statements like "Cash is & always has been king for good reason.', and not qualify with a reason, then I don't see how that helps.
My intent was to comply with the forum's stated mission and attempt a discussion based on your statement.

My wife & I have a working account with Mandiri which holds limited funds from which she withdraws cash on a weekly basis & besides our few internet transactions is the only time the card is used,.

We find this suits us better (besides the fact that many outlets do not have an eftpos facility) than to risk card fraud & then have to go through the motions of trying to recoup losses.

We have been operating in this manner since my perusal of information on another expatriate site which talks about card fraud & is unfortunately too long to copy but can be found here:

http://www.expat.or.id/info/creditcardfraudinindonesia.html
 
I'm like you and hesitate to use my one and only CC for small purchases. For internet purchase I prefer the extra safety of paypal if available. I did make a CC purchase from the USA some time ago then realized it was a fake product...it took me months, and much correspondence, to recover my funds and the CC bank didn't help much.
My wife's girlfriend has a CC from just about every bank in RI. When they do 'Ibu2 lunch' she always pays with the card that gives the best discount and the other ladies pay their share in cash. Some restaurants give good discounts.
So far no problems but I agree one has to be careful in Indonesia.
 
Of course many of the vendors now just key in your card details manually rather than swipe it. Hey they're following the rules aren't they?
 
I'm curious. If a cashier accepts you swiping your card through the bank's card reader how does the store system know you have actually paid?

I'm thinking this is the reason.
 
I'm curious. If a cashier accepts you swiping your card through the bank's card reader how does the store system know you have actually paid?

I'm thinking this is the reason.
Since the 20th century the two are linked. The POS tells the bank system.how much to charge and the bank system tells pos how much has been charged and authorized
 
Since the 20th century the two are linked. The POS tells the bank system.how much to charge and the bank system tells pos how much has been charged and authorized

I often (always?) see the person have to manually input the amount to be charged into the bank card machine.
 
The last few months, I've changed to only using a US based credit card in Indonesia.

Not the same one I use for US transactions, as I'm curious if the card will get compromised.

I have a no FX card, plus 1.5% cashback or airline miles. And if I have to dispute a charge, it's going to be much easier to do with the US card.

I have most cards set up so I get an automatic email everytime a charge is made. Much easier to tell if anything fraudulent is going on.
 
I was in a supermarket this weekend in Bintaro and i saw them about to enter my card number into their system (after payment complete with the bank machine) so i raised a fuss (since it was quiet and i wasn't holding up a queue). They seemed very reluctant to give in as the system seems to require a number put into it but after a call to their boss they gave in. Wasn't easy though as i think they have been trained to do things a certain way
 
I can think of at least one place that I shop at regularly that does this. So if I don't want my card double swiped, but they have a stupid store policy and the cashier is just following said policy, what should I do? Just use cash?

Can someone link to a similar article in Indonesian so I can pull it up on my phone?
 

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

New posts Latest threads

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
6,719
Messages
113,645
Members
4,025
Latest member
maj
Back
Top Bottom