BI Forbids Double Swiping of Cards

lifelongexpat

Cager
I've always felt uncomfortable with having my card swiped twice. Next time it happens to me, I'll challenge the cashier.

In most card transactions in Indonesia, the customer’s debit or credit card is swiped both on the Electronic Data Capture (EDC) machine as well as the merchant’s cash register. According to Indonesia’s central bank Bank Indonesia (BI), the latter method actually poses a security risk.

BI recently issued a reminder that they had introduced renewed banking regulations last year prohibiting merchants from using customers’ cards for any other purpose than to facilitate a financial transaction.

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/in...it-cards-cash-register-protect-personal-data/

I totally agree. The whole point of using pins is that the system does not keep the card details at the local retailer or on the end credit card receipt that they keep. Swiping to their own system overrides it. I'm eagerly waiting the chance to point this out and will try to find the BI announcement to keep on my phone.

In continuation to my first post, the JP has also published an article on the matter in their business section.

It seems merchants are only allowed to double swipe cards with the customers permission.

Knowing what I know now, I would never give permission for my card to be double swiped.

Traders cannot double swipe without a reason. If they have to do so, they should seek permission from the card holder,” he added as reported by Antara. (bbn)

If anyone wishes to look up the said regulation, it is:

Bank Indonesia Regulation No. 18/40/BI/2016 on payment processing.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...ans-double-swiping-to-prevent-data-theft.html

At first I was confused on reading this as often the card reader doesn't work and they cancel then go thru' the process again. This always worried me and I check my account but now realize this isn't what's meant.
It appears some merchants swipe the card thru' the reader then continue another swipe on their cash register....cannot say I recall this happening.
Are there any stores in RI that have this policy that I should look-out for?

What about Carrefour who actually WRITE the numbers down on a piece of paper?

It happens quite often in Jakarta. Places that spring to mind are Food Hall, Carrefour and Gramedia. I've also had my card double swiped at Indomaret.

I'm not sure about Bali as I generally pay by cash whenever I go. However, I do recall Cocoon Beach Club in Seminyak doing it on one of the rare occasions I paid by card in Bali.

What about Carrefour who actually WRITE the numbers down on a piece of paper?

Really? I've never had that happen in Carrefour. Only them double swiping my card when paying at the check out.

Really? I've never had that happen in Carrefour. Only them double swiping my card when paying at the check out.

They write it down on the piece of paper to which they clip all store copies of the credit-card slips too, they write it after double swiping while attaching the slips.

I told them repeatedly to stop which, in their defense, they did.

Rightly so. If I saw someone writing down my card details, I would kick up a fuss.

Which Carrefour did this happen at?

Additionally, I actually work with POS machines (the kind of computers that they use to swipe the card), and some companies request the machines to be set that it can't settle the transaction in the system if the card is not actually swiped. The cashier/manager on the floor can do absolutely nothing against this and it will need to be addressed at a higher level. Hell most cashiers don't even have authority to cancel a transaction and accounting systems in big companies are so crippling bureaucratic that I often wonder how they get any work done at all.

Rightly so. If I saw someone writing down my card details, I would kick up a fuss.

Which Carrefour did this happen at?

Various ones, not keeping score, mostly Jakarta.

accounting systems in big companies are so crippling bureaucratic that I often wonder how they get any work done at all.

That seems to be par for the course here in Indonesia. From the incorporation stage of a company, to monthly/annual compliance. It's just one huge paper chase.

At first I was confused on reading this as often the card reader doesn't work and they cancel then go thru' the process again. This always worried me and I check my account but now realize this isn't what's meant.
It appears some merchants swipe the card thru' the reader then continue another swipe on their cash register....cannot say I recall this happening.
Are there any stores in RI that have this policy that I should look-out for?

In Bali I noticed Popular/Pepito, Hardy's, Carrefour and possibly Hypermart (not sure now) doing this. They usually swipe the card in the little reader (legal part), but then swipe it again on a reader attached to the cashier.

While in general this policy sucks, please don't yell at the cashiers if you encounter this. They're not at fault, they're only doing what management tells them to do. They don't have the option to not follow company policy.

And in big corporate types, the retail management level staff is powerless too. But at least they get paid to handle customers yelling at them.

Apart from the legitimate concerns about improper storage of customer card numbers a major problem in retailing is the number of cards that do no swipe easily on just one swipe. Sometimes it just needs the card to be wiped on a cloth and it will work but many older cards sometimes require several swipes and the machine will often instruct you to swipe again.
So if shopping isn't frustrating enough at check outs I can see a lot of annoyance as people try to sort out the if the first swipe doesn't work do we swipe again? And if the government has banned a double swipe.......?
Perhaps we all need to carry Bitcoins in our pockets.

So if shopping isn't frustrating enough at check outs I can see a lot of annoyance as people try to sort out the if the first swipe doesn't work do we swipe again? And if the government has banned a double swipe.......?
Perhaps we all need to carry Bitcoins in our pockets.

That's not the double swipe being discussed here. This is a swipe on a machine separate from the bank payment terminal.

IMG_20170908_151934.JPG

The second wipe in question is when they swipe your card on a little card reader attached to the POS as outlined above.

Thanks for the explanation lielongexpat. Lucky I am the only one confused by the terminology.

In Bali I noticed Popular/Pepito, Hardy's, Carrefour and possibly Hypermart (not sure now) doing this. They usually swipe the card in the little reader (legal part), but then swipe it again on a reader attached to the cashier.

Thanks dafluff.... I'll be sure to check next time but what is the point of a double swipe?
I never paid much attention at the check-out other than to agree the cost and have never had any issues with my credit card purchases in Indonesia.
My wife hates them because she is the secondary card holder and, every time she uses it, I get a cellphone message telling me how much she just spent....:wof:

No problem. It's easy enough to get confused. The first swipe occurs in the banks payment terminal. The second swipe is on the card reader on the cashier.

I was always curios myself why my card would be swiped twice, even when the transaction had been approved by my bank and a receipt given.

So what information does the second swipe actually reveal.?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back