Anti-gay hiring practices?

Vulgarian

I was just shown this New York Times article https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/world/asia/indonesia-gay-teachers.html

It begins:

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Agree or disagree, the exam asked: “I would feel uncomfortable knowing my daughter’s or son’s teacher was homosexual.”

Or this, true or false: “The gender composition of an orgy would be irrelevant to my decision to participate.”

In recent weeks, foreign teachers at some private schools in Indonesia have been required to answer these questions and many more like them in what has been billed as a psychological exam.

It goes on to allege discriminatory hiring practices based on a belief in a link between homosexuality and paedophilia. Sigh.

Only one school is mentioned by name as admitting to screening like this, Mentari Intercultural School in Jakarta, but the implication is that all schools do it.

Have any of the teachers here experienced this?

It goes on to allege discriminatory hiring practices based on a belief in a link between homosexuality and paedophilia. Sigh.

Allege? I'm pretty sure the number of schools in Indonesia that would hire an openly gay teacher is in the single digits.

Last edited:
“The gender composition of an orgy would be irrelevant to my decision to participate.”

What kind of trick question is that? If I said "irrelevant" It might be taken to mean that I would happily participate in any kind of orgy, homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual. whereas it would be irrelevant because participating in an orgy is not my cup of tea.... so to speak.

I applaud all anti-gay measures. One of Indonesia's charms is it hasn't fully fallen into Western level degeneracy. America has tax funded transvestites reading to children in libraries. I would love to see FPI reaction to that.

_105695186_hx0a9937.jpg

I applaud all anti-gay measures. One of Indonesia's charms is it hasn't fully fallen into Western level degeneracy. America has tax funded transvestites reading to children in libraries. I would love to see FPI reaction to that.

Moderation note: Another poster who just signed up to post an offensive remark. This user is suspended while the moderation team deliberates further.

I am a little irritated by, it seems, a tendency for new western drama series, or films to include a gay element showing how lovely and what beautiful people are gays. Like the rest of us some are wonderful people and some are dreadful. The social patterns for some gays meeting in special clubs and having multiple sexual encounters in one evening or meeting at public toilets seems to me to be indicative of troubled people. But that said I see no reason to punish or persecute all gays in any way either in employment or socially. Their behaviour is just subject to the same laws of what is and what isn't appropriate. Fifty years ago my children streamed through a public school and one class with a gay teacher. But there was no suggestion of inappropriate behaviour over about four or five years and I accepted that he was a good teacher.

As for Nosecandy's rather extreme point of view I am not sure that this post is offensive per se. Disagreeable, yes but we ought not lapse into a fundamentalist position against those with a disagreeable point of view. On the other hand the recent racist rant by a poster against all Indonesians was seriously offensive and justifiably the poster was suspended.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Nosecandy's rather extreme point of view I am not sure that this post is offensive per se. Disagreeable, yes but we ought not lapse into a fundamentalist position against those with a disagreeable point of view. On the other hand the recent racist rant by a poster against all Indonesians was seriously offensive and justifiably the poster was suspended.

His post is equally offensive to the one you mention. Did you know that "anti-gay measures" used to include forced castration or sending them to concentration camps? Apparently this is to be applauded.

Anyway, we have determined that the user is just a troll account, and it is now permanently suspended.

Last edited:
As for Nosecandy's rather extreme point of view I am not sure that this post is offensive per se. Disagreeable, yes but we ought not lapse into a fundamentalist position against those with a disagreeable point of view.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...alities-act-employment-tribunal-a9253211.html And JK Rowlings came to this womens defence in a later tweet.

(@jk_rowling)
Dress however you please.
Call yourself whatever you like.
Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you.
Live your best life in peace and security.
But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill
December 19, 2019

Last edited:
As for Nosecandy's rather extreme point of view I am not sure that this post is offensive per se. Disagreeable, yes but we ought not lapse into a fundamentalist position against those with a disagreeable point of view.

It is far more than "disagreeable" when a poster "applauds all anti-gay measures." You do realize that such measures, as dafluff pointed out, have included forced castration and concentration camps? Even today, among the "anti-gay measures" implemented around the world are forced conversion attempts that include physical and psychological aggression, beatings, jailing, and denial of employment and other rights.

Note also that the poster basically called gays "degenerates" which is hate speech. It's also, AFAICT, a lie to claim that US taxpayers are funding "transvestites reading to children in libraries." There is indeed a "drag queen story hour" movement afoot in the US, which seems absolutely delightful except for narrow-minded and hate-filled protestors who have, predictably, shown up at some events. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe any federal program is funding DQSH. (You can quibble if you want by saying that federal dollars go to libraries in general, but down that road lies reducto ad absurdum argumentation that says the government funds EVERYTHING.)

The points are well taken. I had focused on his applauding Indonesia's lack of degeneration and not declining into western standards. And no, I do not agree with all anti gay measures...or any that are discriminatory.

I see you're doubling down on the degeneracy slur and I'm struggling to think of any "anti-gay measures" that wouldn't be discriminatory.

Anyway, I posted the thread to find out if any teachers had been made to take a test similar to the one in the article and I'm still interested in hearing responses.

It's not my business unless they touch my leg inaproprietly or try to toungue kiss me! Whether homosexuality is genetic or environmental is still disputed. Is tolerance something you wish to engender in your society or do you wish everyone to be like you. Different pressure groups of comprised of masses of unsecure and or ignorant individuals lobby governments and use the media to further their objectives. The same said for the groups of opposing views. You have to read between the lines and wonder whom by and why is a particular piece of news or information in a particular media. Don't be a stooge!

For a country where so many popular TV personalities seem to be gay (or at least extremely camp), and even in everyday life such people are ubiquitous, the anti-gay undercurrent here is hard to understand. I'm sure Freud would have a field day analysing that one.

Indeed. Even the police arisan events are hosted by gay / camp MC's. The irony

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...liberal-wilson-gavin-after-drag-queen-protest . Ironic though tragic...seeing that he was an out gay who was against same sex marriage and gay participation in education.
I dont see what is ironic here. Gay people come in all shapes, sizes and political aspirations. He happened to be a conservative gay man. He was protesting "drag" particapation in education not gay participation in education. This is supposed to be a thread about anti-gay hiring practices in Indonesian Schools - I dont see the relevance to the topic.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back