Where have you worked in Indonesia?

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
My first job here was flying Bell 206-B helicopters in Irian Jaya (now Papua) on a seismic operation in September 1974.

Schedule was 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off to Jakarta. Trips from Jakarta to Biak on old 4 engine Vanguards operated by Merpati Nusantara Airlines.

Overnight in Biak then on a Piper Aztec to the Missonary strip in Senggo. Then a 45 min flight by helicopter to the base camp at Sagapo. Here are a few pics of the place.

Senggo
Senggo.jpg

Sagapo
Sagapo Camp.jpg

Sagapo
Irian Jaya Indonesia 1974.jpg

Nice helipad. Sure I would feel safe landing on these logs of wood. :)

I have done business in my city since I arrived 18+ years ago. First not so legally, then since the implementation of UU 6/2011, not so illegally.

Nice helipad. Sure I would feel safe landing on these logs of wood. :)

I have done business in my city since I arrived 18+ years ago. First not so legally, then since the implementation of UU 6/2011, not so illegally.

Yes, those log pads were only good for about 5 months then had to be rebuilt. General rot and bugs would do them in.

I'm probably one of the few ones in my family who has not worked in a traditional/formal way in Indonesia. They've been involved in VOC, KNIL, creation and managing a tea plantation on West Java, institut pertanian Bogor, HBS Bandoeng, and most recently potato development programs initiated from a Dutch university & research program.

I started in Bali, moved to another job in Bali, then joined a company in Jakarta which sent me all around Indonesia for various durations. Shortest was 2 weeks in Aceh, longest was 6 months in Banjarmasin. Other locations where I've spent at least several months include Balikpapan, Singkawang, Pontianak, Jayapura, Manokwari, Bandung, Yogjakarta, Surabaya, Kupang, Medan, Lampung, Pekanbaru & Padang. Probably forgot a few as well.

Really enjoyed Papua, as well as anything in Sumatra, really disliked Banjarmasin. Currently working in Jakarta with no travel, I have to admit I do miss it, but the current job has much better advantages :)

I started in Bali, moved to another job in Bali, then joined a company in Jakarta which sent me all around Indonesia for various durations. Shortest was 2 weeks in Aceh, longest was 6 months in Banjarmasin. Other locations where I've spent at least several months include Balikpapan, Singkawang, Pontianak, Jayapura, Manokwari, Bandung, Yogjakarta, Surabaya, Kupang, Medan, Lampung, Pekanbaru & Padang. Probably forgot a few as well.

Really enjoyed Papua, as well as anything in Sumatra, really disliked Banjarmasin. Currently working in Jakarta with no travel, I have to admit I do miss it, but the current job has much better advantages :)

Yeah, my line of work placed me in locations (too numerous to mention) scattered throughout the width and breadth of Indonesia. Luckily, most were long term projects (as opposed to the odd spot charter for a few days) so I was able to see firsthand lots of the different cultures that one would normally only get a smidgen of at Taman Mini.

That's it though; I was in a job in which I did 5 countries in one workweek. Very cool they said; pff I didn't see anything of the country: On the plane, taxi to the hotel, late dinner, taxi to work, meetings and lunch, taxi to airport, etc.

I have seen much more of Indonesia when I decided to visit all old Dutch forts in the Archipelago than before, when we just went to nice diving spots or visited family. It makes sense to have a goal, and spend time on that.

That's it though; I was in a job in which I did 5 countries in one workweek. Very cool they said; pff I didn't see anything of the country: On the plane, taxi to the hotel, late dinner, taxi to work, meetings and lunch, taxi to airport, etc.

I have seen much more of Indonesia when I decided to visit all old Dutch forts in the Archipelago than before, when we just went to nice diving spots or visited family. It makes sense to have a goal, and spend time on that.

Yes, you must get off on the sideroads to really appreciate this country for what it is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back