What a stupid idea for a game

While I do not recall the source I do remember seeing references to studies that show texting and driving is as dangerous as drink driving. As for "Idiots" who over do it, an accident can occur in a split second and that moment might be when one is glancing at the text message while not "overdoing it.
If pushing any button is an absolutely unacceptable risk, then they should ban digital radios and nav system on car dashboards. They’re complex enough to serve as distractions. Accidents can happen in the split second used to glance at the radio station

When I’m driving my texting is limited to ‘yes’, ‘no’, ‘otw’, ‘driving’ or ‘ttyl’. My iPhone can also transcribe speech to text if I need it. In any case I use one hand, the other stays on the steering wheel.

Texting while driving is illegal due to idiots who do it using both thumbs, drive with their elbows, and spend more time looking at the screen than at the road.

Some places forbid hand-free phone calls, how is that more distracting than having a conversation with a passenger? It is even quite simple to place and end the call using the Hey Google or Hey Siri voice assistants without touching the device or removing your eyes from the road.

From a Transport NSW study:
Source of distractions that lead to crashes
"Distractions from outside the vehicle account for about 30% of the distractions that lead to crashes. And distractions from within vehicles account for up to about 36% (the remaining 34% is unknown).

Typically, the two biggest distractions inside the vehicle are other passengers and adjusting the sound system. Research has also shown that drivers using mobile phones and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) while driving are also much more likely to be involved in crashes. Text entry into a GPS unit while driving can be extremely dangerous. Sending and receiving text messages on a mobile phone while driving is also extremely dangerous, and is also illegal."

Hate to think what an analysis of travelling in Indonesia would reveal. It seems every other Gojek motor cyclist is using a "smart" phone talking, texting or using a direction finder. And what percentage of drivers use a device holding a direction finder placed in an air vent either side of the steering wheel?

Before deciding to toot every motor cyclist being overtaken I had a fellow just metres ahead of me, on the left side of the road, without signaling or any warning, suddenly turn sharply across to the right to go to a shop on the right side footpath. Maybe an angel saved him... and me. And he wasn't using a mobile device.

Ahh well, no doubt about it.... living is a health hazard.

Are people actually still playing this game in 2020? It wasn't that interesting.

Are people actually still playing this game in 2020? It wasn't that interesting.

That was my first thought too.

One of the problems when the game first came out, people were going into random strangers home to get the pokemon. In some cases, it didn't end well.

There's maybe a few survivors but most of them have probably either died in car crashes or of boredom or, possibly saw the light & got run over whilst chasing them on foot.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc