What a stupid idea for a game

I'm skipping the Pokemon craze but I'm impatiently waiting for "Mario Kart Go", I think it'll be highly successful on Indonesian roads.

Mario-Kart-Go.jpg

Reactions: Dan
Is that pic Bradford? It looks familiar.

Is that pic Bradford? It looks familiar.

The pic has been doing the rounds on social media, I'm not British nor have I ever been to the UK besides LHR so can't help you with that one :D

I'm skipping the Pokemon craze but I'm impatiently waiting for "Mario Kart Go", I think it'll be highly successful on Indonesian roads.

Heheh, I think Indonesian roads already come with "Mario Kart Go" or more like "Crazy Suicidal Driver"...

Heheh, I think Indonesian roads already come with "Mario Kart Go" or more like "Crazy Suicidal Driver"...

Which is why we'd be on top of the world wide rankings in absolute no-time :car:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/police-fo...n-risks-involved-playing-155331486.html?nhp=1

This PokemonGo is a ridiculously poorly thought out game. For those who don't know, it is a mobile app game that allows you to "catch" Pokemon in real life. You have to walk around (or worse, drive around) in the real world with your phone, looking at the real world through it, and you can see Pokemon who are virtually placed in the world. It is just a matter of time before a kid runs into traffic, walking around while staring at their phone, trying to "catch" a Pokemon.

Stupid, yes, stupid rich. :p

I haven't tried it yet, but I like the concept of "augmented reality." Just wait until they offer a VR version of Pokemon Go...

I've watched the wife play it. The actual activity is pretty mundane. You slide your finger up the screen to throw pokeballs...that's pretty much it, except for walking around staring at your phone. There is a bit of item management and acquisition, but the point of all that stuff is to get you to spend money. I'd rather not install it, might like it in spite of its self.

Last edited:
I hate freemium games. Psychologically I'm susceptible to it because I love to achieve something, so it's very tempting to spend real money on virtual items. For this reason I refuse to touch Pokemon Go.

Unless I am very much mistaken that is Bristol, Strangely enough whiteladies road.

Yep, I haven't been there for a long while and it just reminded me of looking down Cheapside ... anyway- good old google Maps let me look again and I am wrong.
Similar but different.

The wife and kid continue to play. Every time I see the boy he tells me which Pokemon he caught. To top that off, they are both playing the Pokemon song on the piano constantly... and the nightly half hour of TV has switched to... Pokemon. Yesterday and today I got conscripted to be the Pokemon in a RL version of the game... I got captured... every time.:yield:

Actually, I downloaded the app and it works here in Jakarta. I thought I'd play it with my son but frankly pokemon and all that surrounds it is torture to me. It never attracted me but I can see that it appears to many people, even adult ones. Maybe those who grew up with this game (my younger brother is one) feel a sense of nostalgia?

Yeah, I think that's it. Rather funny; in countries like Belgium and the Netherlands you see whole families walking around with their cell phones. The parents grew up with Pokémon when they were kids.

This is a view of some hotspots over there; every day there are thousands of people...

This is a small town called Lillo, at the port of Antwerp:

Pokemon-Go-Lillo.jpg

And this is Kijkduin, part of The Hague at the sea:

Kijkduin-Pokemon-drukte-Deltaplein-foto-Eva-van-Kempen.jpg

So since I get some visitors over; anybody knows some good Pokemon Go hotspots in the DKI or on Bali?

Actually, I downloaded the app and it works here in Jakarta. I thought I'd play it with my son but frankly pokemon and all that surrounds it is torture to me. It never attracted me but I can see that it appears to many people, even adult ones. Maybe those who grew up with this game (my younger brother is one) feel a sense of nostalgia?

I agree with you totally on both points, its a bit like adults our age that have their own PS4 or XBox at 50 years old. Perhaps if they were really into the computer games of the early 80s like space invaders asteroids etc. and maintained the passion for it then fair enough. However on the other hand if, like me, you just "weren't that into" the craze for computer games in the 80s then its very doubtful you would give a toss about pokemon nowadays.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/police-fo...n-risks-involved-playing-155331486.html?nhp=1

This PokemonGo is a ridiculously poorly thought out game. For those who don't know, it is a mobile app game that allows you to "catch" Pokemon in real life. You have to walk around (or worse, drive around) in the real world with your phone, looking at the real world through it, and you can see Pokemon who are virtually placed in the world. It is just a matter of time before a kid runs into traffic, walking around while staring at their phone, trying to "catch" a Pokemon.

Death by Pokémon GO: The Economic and Human Cost of Using Apps While Driving

We estimate the incremental county-wide cost of users playing Pokémon GO while driving to be in the range of $5.2 to $25.5 million over the 148 days following the introduction of the game. Extrapolating these estimates to nation-wide levels yields a total ranging from $2.0 to $7.3 billion.

The increase in crashes attributable to the introduction of Pokémon GO is 145,632 with an associated increase in the number of injuries of 29,370 and an associated increase in the number of fatalities of 256 over the period of July 6, 2016, through November 30, 2016.

What with Covid 19, a shattered economy, many thousands of businesses wiped out, huge unemployment, more domestic violence, mental health issues, floods, landslides and the occasional volcanic eruption I can see why many want to just immerse themselves in an alternative preoccupation.

There’s a fairly easy way to make the game safer. Detect the speed of the player, if it’s faster than running pace, then make the pokemons invisible. It will force people to do it on foot only. I doubt they’re going to do it though.

There’s a fairly easy way to make the game safer. Detect the speed of the player, if it’s faster than running pace, then make the pokemons invisible. It will force people to do it on foot only. I doubt they’re going to do it though.
There would be strong objections when passengers in cars and buses can no longer play (or use any app that implements that restriction). Some will see that as a reasonable trade-off, others will not, but it would not be a simple solution without controversy.

There would be strong objections when passengers in cars and buses can no longer play (or use any app that implements that restriction). Some will see that as a reasonable trade-off, others will not, but it would not be a simple solution without controversy.
Nobody likes to be restricted and treated like a child, me included.

Texting while driving shouldn’t be illegal, but it is because a small number of idiots overdo it and killing people on the road.

While I do not recall the source I do remember seeing references to studies that show texting and driving is as dangerous as drink driving. As for "Idiots" who over do it, an accident can occur in a split second and that moment might be when one is glancing at the text message while not "overdoing it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819