Viral: Indian tourist caught in the act in Bali.

ElmiMufidah

One whole Indian family was caught in the act while they are about to check out from a hotel in Bali. The family was caught bringing almost everything from hotel’s room such as decorative items, toiletries, electronics, towels, hangers, and many more. As shown in the video, the family even packed a mirror from the hotel’s room.

The family apologized and offered to just pay the hotel for the stolen items, because they said they had a flight to catch. But the hotel’s staff refused and prefers to call the police. The family keep on insisting and arguing. The hotel’s staff looks very disappoint and keep on saying they have no respect for this kind of action.

That’s really embarassing.

Good grief. What is WRONG with people?

However, I do wish the video were titled "foreign tourist" (or better yet, just "tourist") rather than "Indian tourist." Whoever wrote that may not have had any racist intent, but still. There is nothing special about being Indian that makes one more likely to be a thief.

Good grief. What is WRONG with people?

However, I do wish the video were titled "foreign tourist" (or better yet, just "tourist") rather than "Indian tourist." Whoever wrote that may not have had any racist intent, but still. There is nothing special about being Indian that makes one more likely to be a thief.

They are from India! Why hide that? It has to do with nationality, not race!!!

^
^^
In India they made an instruction on the whole thing:

Last edited:
Here is something...I used to work fo an aviation company. We stayed in a guest/crew house during our 3 week duty tour. I've seen professional pilots and engineers take things from their room when leaving on field break. Light bulbs, tissues, toilet paper and such. Saw one Captain steal a life jacket from the passenger seat on a Garuda F-28. Heck, if you are going to steal something, make it worth the risk cost wise!! Oh, did I mention that they were Indonesian? Gotta be careful how I word this...would not want to offend aviation professionals here now would I?

^
^^
In India they made an instruction on the whole thing:

The video is correct. All the items being shown ok to take, are indeed, ok to take. I think they even missed a few, like mini bottles of shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, etc.

They are from India! Why hide that? It has to do with nationality, not race!!!

No one is hiding anything - in fact if you watch the video you'll easily spot that the perps are South Asian. I agree that technically it's nationality not race to say they are "Indian," but that's just nitpicking and says nothing about my actual point. (We'd probably say, in casual conversation, something like "it's racist to discriminate against the French" even though French citizenship is not necessarily indicative of race.)

Anyway, taking your point at face value: what does their nationality have to do with anything? Nothing, unless you think that citizens of India are commonly agreed to be more or less likely than other nationalities to steal from hotels, in which case yes, it would be noteworthy to emphasize their citizenship.

Boy, I am sure glad white folks don't do that sort of thing.

Anyway, taking your point at face value: what does their nationality have to do with anything? Nothing, unless you think that citizens of India are commonly agreed to be more or less likely than other nationalities to steal from hotels, in which case yes, it would be noteworthy to emphasize their citizenship.

Possible relevance for us other foreigners and Indonesians.

1. If it of someone of any of our own nationality, we would want to know. You wouldn't want to know if it was another American acting like an asshole? When those Americans murdered their mother in Bali, should all the articles have said tourist instead of American?

2. It effects Indonesian citizen and politician views on visa policy, especially the visa free program.

You point out that it is easy to see that they are South Asian. Pakistan nationals have to apply for a visa ahead of time to visit Indonesia. It was the reason the slapper public embarrassment tourist was considered a British tourist. She would not have gotten in under her Pakistani passport, but did get in under the visa free policy for her British passport. India is one of the lowest median income countries on the visa free waiver list. Indonesia is one of a few countries that allow Indians to travel without a visa. Over the years there have been regular political articles in Indonesia that if people are choosing which destination to travel to based on the waiver of $35, it attracts the wrong kind of tourist.

Last edited:
Not so sure about your second point - somehow, I don't think the news media (or whoever put the youtube video up) had some virtuous intent of affecting Indonesia's visa policy by provision of more nationality data - that's pretty farfetched.

But your first point is a good one. Yes, I guess I would want to know if it was an American (or not) acting in a highly public and embarrassing manner.

But your first point is a good one. Yes, I guess I would want to know if it was an American (or not) acting in a highly public and embarrassing manner.

But why? Are you responsible for their actions? Are all Americans MAGA hat wearing racists?

No, fewer than 1/2 are in the MAGA camp, if the polls are to be believed. Damning with faint praise, though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back