There maybe none on here that have not heard about the Hash House Harriers

vocalneal

Cager
But just in case. You can find Indonesian hashes by surfing. Some are weekend some are weekday afternoon/evenings.

Great way to exercise weekly and overindulge if you wish to. Meet some new friends. Also a good group for general networking. No you don't necessarily need to be able to run! But you should at least look like you can! You will see places you would not necessarily go without joining them. :smile: Some of them you may not wish to see! :rolleyes:

Not free. Money or eventually time but... Caution it maybe contagious.

I ran hash in Balikpapan in 1981-82 with my family and friends. My mother's friend was the organizer of the Balikpapan Family Hash club and my mother was an assistant organizer.

I learned the hard way that losing the trail can lead to even greater loss. During a run through some jungle in the vicinity of the oil refineries a fatal turn took a few of us hashers through a patch of black tar-like sludge, an unholy and probably toxic gunk that proved impossible to remove from our sneakers. In the photo (that's me on the step above my little brother) and the zoomed-in clip, the black gunk is visible on the soles of my favorite blue Lottos which are placed on our doorstep in the foolish hope that the gunk would be easier to remove once it dried out — it never did. I bought those shoes in Singapore just a few months earlier. I would've been justified in crying, but hashers don't cry, they simply go on-on.

35518666743_05e5ffa082_o.jpg

35491622844_5dca9bf7f2_o.jpg

The question arises: Are hash runs organized around drinking, or is drinking organized around hash runs? I recall a couple of runs starting and ending at the renowned private watering hole Batakan Club, a convenient choice that meant nobody had to cart coolers of beer (and soda) into the jungle. Although I was merely 8 years old when I started hashing I honed my essential hash skills to where I could chug a post-run bottle of Fanta like even the thirstiest of the Aussie adults chugged beer. I still remember the ceremonial down-down song:

Here's to [hash name of hasher],
He's true blue,
He's a Hasher through and through,
He's a piss pot so they say,
Tried to go to heaven,
But he went the other way,
Drink it down, down, down...​

Except our hash club, being family friendly, replaced the words "piss pot" with "Harrier," if my memory is correct. Fortunately my brother, my friends, and I weren't corrupted by the excessively ribald song repertoire of the adult hash clubs.

Running hash was a great experience. Everyone should give it a try.

Hello Christopher. It was fun to read your note and seeing the photo of you and your brother, Steve. You went to school with my daughter, Anne-Mette, and your brother with my son , Christian. My former husband and I were the friends, who lived almost across from you and friends with your parents in Balikpapan.. How I are your parents? We now live on the west coast of Denmark, and my son lives in Copenhagen with his family( one son) and my daughter and her husband live about an hour’s drive south of here. Say hello to everybody! Love Mette.

Hello Christopher. It was fun to read your note and seeing the photo of you and your brother, Steve. You went to school with my daughter, Anne-Mette, and your brother with my son , Christian. My former husband and I were the friends, who lived almost across from you and friends with your parents in Balikpapan.. How I are your parents? We now live on the west coast of Denmark, and my son lives in Copenhagen with his family( one son) and my daughter and her husband live about an hour’s drive south of here. Say hello to everybody! Love Mette.
Wow, I'm surprised you recognized me Mette, hello! I remember you and your family well! Please excuse the two-months-late reply but I haven't read this forum for a few years. Coincidentally, last week I signed up for Facebook for the first time, and just a few minutes ago joined the Pasir Ridge International School Alumni group, where someone mentioned seeing one of my posts on this forum (but they couldn't identify me by my photos). I see Anne-Mette's posts in the group, and found profiles for you and Christian. I'll try sending you a message on Facebook with my mom's contact info so you can catch up with her and my dad.

What a lovely interaction. People being nice on the internet - could it catch on?

Merry Christmas to one and all

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blonstein
Back