The face slap lady has done a runner.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harryopal, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jukung11

jukung11 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-britain-slap-idUSKCN1PV114

Any bets on how this is going to work out for her? I have spent a lot of years reading of cases of foreigners caught up in the Indonesian legal system. I can't recall any of them with the sentence being reduced or dismissed. I may be biased, but my recollection was the majority of the cases the sentence was increased. It is as if the Indonesian legal system punishes a foreigner for filing an appeal. Does anyone have any better insight on this? Am I subject to selection or media bias?

2. Jaime C

Jaime C Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +165
    Man, she seems to be quite the piece of work. I am glad they have captured her, and I hope she enjoys the rest of her stay.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +596
    Can't really comment on cases in general, but if anything she deserves to get a harsher sentence. Judges look at behavior also, such as remorse, respect towards the system, etc. She hasn't shown any of it, so filing an appeal is really not the best idea for her.

4. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +626
    You are too much of a gentleman D. The kick in the nuts (cf: video) would have seen her flying if it were me. Really, she needs to take a chill pill, or better, the whole box.

5. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +626
    Definitely. Tonight, Indonesia is safer. I am not even joking. She has obviousl been a serious pain for so man who were unluck enough to cross her path. Immigration officer, hotel and security staff..etc.

6. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +626
    I thing it is "unfair" to say it like that albeit I understand where you come from.

There are countless cases where sentences for foreigners have been decreased by an appeal court and there is now legal room for a foreigner to apply for parole, allowing him/her not to do his/her full sentence.

An example of it is well know, the case of HC (Read about it in the old junk) for example who went from a binding death sentence to an astonishing 12 years sentence through a presidential pardon. Reports from a fellow death row convict was that such presidential pardon could cost between 1M and 3M.

Also you may consider that Neil Bantleman got first freed and acquitted by the High Court before having his sentence reinstated (and increased) by the Supreme Court.

Last, you have the case of Michael Blanc, arrested in December 1999 who got a life sentence, which has been reduced to 20 years, allowing him to profit from the remisi twice a ear and finally being paroled after 14 ears in jail in January 2014.

These are just some examples, but really there are much more. I think that if you read the whole thread in the link I provided above, I have listed a few decisions of "justice" in it where sentences have been increased or decreased on appeal.

Basically, and this is something foreigners have troubles to grasp, the more public your case is, the less chance you have to get away with a fair sentence. Bringing an ambassador in the case and a cohort of foreign journalist is begging for a guilty verdict in most, if not all cases. Nationalism is so strong and lobbies so powerful that even if you bring all proofs and expertise you may dream of pointing at the fact that you are innocent, you will still have strong chances to be sent to jail.

We had a thread some time ago about Expat & Indonesian Justice: https://www.expatindo.org/community/threads/expat-court-victories.4042/

7. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +102
    Hope she enjoys her stay in " hotel kerobokan " ,with all the other low life .

8. Vanhelsing

Vanhelsing Well-Known Member Cager

Ratings:
    +220
    Kerobokan isn't exactly doing hard time, it actually looks rather pleasant.I'd prefer her sent to a somewhat less civil prison.

9. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +102
    not my cup of tea ,sweaty stinky, bad food , I met a guy who had the pleasure of the place for 3 months ,he was not enamored

10. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +374
    There are quite some videos, also her defense in court. (All with the red and black dress.) I don't think she took a lawyer, I know someone who was available and present there, and that person was a lawyer but it is very unclear whether it was pro bono / deo or for translation only.

Anyway, instead of calmly explaining what happened (and what is missing from that infamous video!), she went in overdrive all the time with a high pitch. That definitely didn't help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. Supir Angkot

Supir Angkot Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +45
    One the second thought, sweaty stinky bad jengkol/petai curry will probably calm her down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List