Renewing Spouse KITAS

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
So this my story of renewing the spouse KITAS. Hopefully it will help people who have moved from one area to another along with what you need. Plus if you accidently overstay by misunderstanding the renewal process or have moved. Hopefully it helps someone.

What you need for the renewal of the Spouse KITAS is the same as when you applied the first time.

1. SKTT (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal)
2. Buku/Akta Nikah (Marriage certificate)-Both Church and local government
3. Surat Lapor Nikah
4. KK Sponsor
5. KTP Sponsor
6. Your passport and copies of all non-empty pages.

7. Surat pernyataan dan jaminan - download here and fill in https://goo.gl/14iaSA Print out, affix 6000IDR materai stamp and sign (in name of Indonesian citizen) which must go partly on top of materai
8. If married in Indonesia, a certificate of no impediment from your embassy (note: should be obtained before marriage!)
9. Surat permohonan - download https://goo.gl/RPEJmg and sign in Indonesian citizenship name with materai as above.

With items 7 and 9, be sure to change the top portion to that of your local immigration office that you are going to.

Dec. 2015 I converted my Social visa to the spousal KITAS and it expired in December 15, 2016. Due to my own fault of misunderstanding thinking I could renew the KITAS online, I waited until the last minute to renew. I had thought you went here https://goo.gl/9UG9gH and did everything there and had an email saying I would know the results by Friday (16) in an email (important for later). Friday comes and I don’t hear anything so the wife and I decide we will go to the West Jakarta immigration office (by Old City) on Monday just to be safe.

Monday comes and we get to the office there before 10am. Go upstairs and tell the first person at the window we see what happened so he gives us the actual KITAS renewal application. Fill it out and everything and return it. A different officer looks at it and then looks at my KITAS before telling us that I had overstayed. Remember the email I had mentioned earlier? I had printed it and heighted the day I received it (shortly after midnight on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP]) and when I would hear back from immigration(16[SUP]th[/SUP]). Officer looked at it and said I had applied for the wrong one (DOH! [/Homer Simpson]). I apologized and said I thought I could apply online because of what we had heard and read. Also said it wasn’t on purpose of overstaying and we would accept the overstay fine if there was one (playing dumb, but I knew it was IDR 300.000 a day). The officer seemed to accept that and said we could still proceed but would have to pay any overstay days and would have to go to the North Jakarta office(KG) and fill out some forms there saying we had moved (moved back at the end of August, early September). Went to North Jakarta office, filled out some more forms and they again told us we had overstayed. We again explained everything and showed them the email. It was taken to I am guessing that officer’s supervisor and it got the ok. Was told we would have to pay for the overstay and to come back on Wednesday. Apologisies for not having the names of the forms that were filled out as my wife filled them in (my hand writing is terrible).

Went back Wednesday morning and picked up the files and went back to West Jakarta. Handed everything back to them and we had to go and make copies and edit items 7 and 9 from the list above. Everything is going smoothly and we were told the overstay payment we owed would end on that day. Then we were told I would need to come back in for an interview on Thursday the 29[SUP]th[/SUP] at 10am. Thursday comes, we arrive, and check in with one of the officers letting them know I was there for my interview. The officer tells us to have a seat and he will get the officer who is going to interview me. He then comes back and asks us to come back on Friday because the person who was going to interview me was out on an investigation/raid. My wife asks if we can wait, but was told the only problem with that was the office had no idea when they would return. The officer looked at me and told me not to worry, everything is ok, and even apologized. I told him I understand as I have had a few friends who worked in immigration back in Texas.

So we come back on Friday and repeat what we did when arrived on Thursday. The officer who talked to us on Thursday went back and the person who was going to interview me was there so I was told to go on in. Asked if my wife should come, but was told it was ok if I went alone. After he had taken me to the desk where the interview was going to be, he came out and told my wife that normally spouses go together, but I didn’t need her with me. I was a bit nervous as I didn’t know how the person was going to be, but any stress I had went away when I saw the person smoking a cigarette (he smoked 3 cigarettes during the interview) as he sat down. The interview went for about 2 hours, but most of the time the interviewer was typing on the computer, got up a few times (including bringing me a bottle of water), and only asked a few questions (my parents’ name, how many times I had been to Indonesia, why I came to Indonesia the first time, when I got married, why I overstayed). A few times he didn’t understand what I was saying (like my mum’s name, how many times I had been to Indonesia) so I wrote it out on paper. Again when he asked why I had overstayed, I told him I thought I could apply online because of what we had heard and read before showing him the email. Everything was fine and then he said next time don’t overstay (a clue saying I had been approved) and I would need to come back on January 4[SUP]th[/SUP] to pay the overstay fee and KITAS fee. My wife kept asking me what we were doing because she could see me and said most of the time I was just looking straight ahead and almost never talking.

On Tuesday night, January 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], my wife had a call from immigration reminding us about my appointment and who to ask for. We were surprised they called, but my wife thinks they did so because money was involved. On the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] I went alone (wife is on a business trip), asked for the officer and told to have a seat. After about an hour of waiting, I was given my file and told I could now go and pay everything (a good sign). Paid IDR 4.450.000 (2.4 for overstay and 2.055.000 for the KITAS), went back upstairs, had my picture taken, and was told to come back on Friday to pick up my KITAS and passport. The same day (Wednesday), my wife forwarded me an email with Notifikasi Persetujuan Pemberian ITAS Elektronik as the subject line. Printed that, checked in at the desk with the receipts of payment, collected my KITAS card and passport on Friday.

All in all it took 3 weeks. I did ask an officer before I had left on Wednesday if I had to go to the regional and directors office with any of my file. She told me that if you are renewing the same visa, you do it all at the local immigration office. Now if you are converting your visa (social to KITAS, etc…) then you would visit those other offices.

The main points I would make if you overstay by a few days in a situation like mine or maybe medical, have some sort of documentation and be apologetic.

They often ask for a Surat Domisili too.
Usually procured via Rt/Rw & kelurahan

Just went to Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus Jakarta Barat, had to come back and apply for NEW Surat Domisili. I provided last year's Surat Domisili and it's invalid. oh also make sure sponsor spouse is PRESENT. I (the foreigner) went there by myself and thought could submit all the docs, but the lady in the counter said the sponsor spouse needs to be there as well.
Also another good information, if your marriage's age has reached 2 years, you may apply for KITAP. However, that 2 years refers to the date of "Surat Laporan Perkawinan". In my case, I was married for more than 4 years on my original Marriage Cert, but only applied for "Surat Laporan Perkawinan" last year when I moved here. Technically to the officers, I am only married for a year. So I have to apply for another KITAS until my marriage reaches 2 years according to "Surat Laporan Perkawinan"

Last edited:
My wife says you only need a new domicile letter if you move to a different Banjar, she asked that particular question to our local Klien Dinas & he agreed. Furthermore we have never been told we needed a new domicile letter when I have renewed my KITAS.

I have come of the opinion that things run smoother if I don't show myself at immigration until it's time to get my photo & fingerprints taken.

Last edited:
The few Kitas applications I've been through so far (last one was the end of September 2017) only required a letter of domicile from the building management at my apartment block. I've never been asked for a letter from the Rt/Rw.

When I renewed my KITAS the second time, the following needed to be done.

1. You need to register online now even if you are renewing.

2. Green card from dinas kependudukan(Surat Keterangian Tempat Tinggal/Temporary Resident Card)

3. Paper that you are a member of citizen in ____ (grogol jakarta barat in my case).

My wife and I were going to do the renewal ourselves, but when they asked for items 2 and 3, we went with an agent that some friends of our use.

The immigration officer at West Jakarta had told my wife we could upgrade to a KITP, but we decided to stick with the KITAS for now. Next year though, we will upgrade the visa.

2. Green card from dinas kependudukan(Surat Keterangian Tempat Tinggal/Temporary Resident Card)

3. Paper that you are a member of citizen in ____ (grogol jakarta barat in my case).

My wife and I were going to do the renewal ourselves, but when they asked for items 2 and 3, we went with an agent that some friends of our use.

I don’t really understand the issue(s) you saw.

The SKTT (2) is mandatory anyway, see it as an ID card for a KITAS holder (as KTP for WNI and KITAP holder)! If you cut corners via an agent, it might backfire.

And (3) is probably the Surat Domisili which was mentioned before. Rather easy to get via Pak RT/RW....

I don’t really understand the issue(s) you saw.

The SKTT (2) is mandatory anyway, see it as an ID card for a KITAS holder (as KTP for WNI and KITAP holder)! If you cut corners via an agent, it might backfire.

And (3) is probably the Surat Domisili which was mentioned before. Rather easy to get via Pak RT/RW....

Back when I first renewed the KITAS, nothing was said about the SKTT, but this time it was. Had no problem getting either of them. The concern was more with my wife than me since I had just started working as a teacher, she was worried that she would fill in the wrong thing and get me in trouble.

I think this story proves that if you are eligible for a Kitap (e.g., have at least two years of marriage to a WNI), it is far better to get the 5 year Kitap than to screw around with the Kitas bureaucracy every year... In fact, I think the model approach is the one used by a forum member (can't remember the name), who got his first Kitas and then applied for Kitap the very next day, using the strong logic that he already had all of the required documents to hand...

why did u have to supply a new domicile letter if your still in the same place..and where do u renew yer spouse..and some 1 said the apartment manager did a letter..I always thought the Chief of that Banjour had to do it..

Depends where you live. In a city, you have a Pak RT / RW structure which do basic administration. In a small town or village, that if often the head of the village (kepala desa) which has the function of Kelurahan. But every island and even province could have other structures on that lowest level.

So if the Kelurahan is satisfied with the 'proof of domicile', and willing to acknowledge that, you're set. Even if it comes from a Building Management company of an apartment block.

I just submitted my spouse sponsored kitas for renewal at Imigrasi in North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading). My wife went along last week to double check the documents needed and she asked about registering online first. They told her no need and just to bring the documents along whenever we were ready to submit.

The requested documents were:

1. My passport
2. Completed application form
3. Sponsors request letter
4. Photocopy of current kitas and SKTT
5. Photocopy of marriage certificate
6. Photocopy of wifes KTP and KK

They didn't ask for any proof of funds or a Surat Domisili (they said the SKTT by itself was fine).

All in all, it took under an hour. So fairly painless considering it was the first time we handled it ourselves. At the end, we were given the receipt and told to pay and come back 6 days later for them to take the photos and fingerprints.

a 2 hour interview fuck me in Bali you sit down and they ask something mundane like "where do you work" or "where do you live" or "how long have you been in Bali" and that's it fingerprinted again and out the door "next!!"

Just as a follow up to my last post. My renewal was completed in 7 working days overall:

Submission: Thursday 9th August
Take photos: Wednesday 15th August
Collection: Monday 20th August

For the photos/fingetprints I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. As for collection, I just walked straight to the collection counter signed for my passport and walked out (3-4 minutes).

All in all, quite pleased how swift and painless it was...

I guess the Kantor Imigrasi staffs in Kelapa Gading and Bali are exceptions to "all Indonesian office workers are lazy good-for-nothings" views expressed in another thread.

Well if had you read mine carefully, it states there are hard workers here, but also no shortage of people who treat work as a social club. So I'm not exactly tarring everyone with the same brush...

"So I'm not exactly tarring everyone with the same brush..." I think that is close to the point I am trying to make.

Anyway, have a nice day in the US defending Indonesia/Indonesians whilst having fled the country as the education system/Indonesian middle-upper middle class wasn't conducive for your daughters education :p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819