"Please allow me to introduce myself..."

I'm never visiting Bandung ever again.

I dunno why you're freaking hahaha, you should have seen me when I saw it.

I was sat at my desk typing away and I saw something creep up the wall out the corner of my eye- didn't think twice, cos I usually have a couple of lizards kicking about waiting to shit on my keyboard or printer paper... and then it moved again & it didn't seem lizardy- so I looked up and screamed for my hero... :

"SQUIRREL, GET HERE, RIGHT NOW!!!!"
In he comes running "anjing!" (pees his panties a lil bit) "denjerrrr honey"

It just so happened I had an empty Pringles tube on the desk so because he is The Man Of The House (apparently) I handed said tube to him..

For future reference - A Pringles tube is NOT big enough.

Spider moved- rapidly, Squirrel moved rapidly - in the opposite direction & I moved rapidly outside.

Anyway a good couple of hours later I saw it again, and I got it with the big mesh waste basket.
Took some deep breathing exercises to get me calm enough to try... and once I had the thing trapped , I was able to dispose of it a few hundred metres up the lane.

But - yeah, we try to be brave & fail abysmally.

Hell Pony- dumb question:

Me of course !!! :D

So people will travel miles away from home to see some Yorkshire lady living in Bandung with her chickens? Sure that's worth of travelling than a colosseum.

So people will travel miles away from home to see some Yorkshire lady living in Bandung with her chickens? Sure that's worth of travelling than a colosseum.
Hey don't knock it people have travelled across oceans to visit me :) & more are booked.

Hey don't knock it people have travelled across oceans to visit me :) & more are booked.

Nice...do these people use google search or tripsadvisor? You should write something about you as one of main attractions in Bandung.....

Nice...do these people use google search or tripsadvisor? You should write something about you as one of main attractions in Bandung.....
I'm sure these people have used google searches / tripadvisor...
As have most of us :p

I just did :see post 25 above

Reminds me when I was still a student and still had a flatmate. Spotted a big ass spider on the ceiling right above my bed. Proceeded to call my flatmate for rescue. He calmly grabbed the broom, gently got the spider on it, opened the window, shook the broom for it to fall out. I didn't witness the spider fall out the broom probably because I was keeping a safe distance so I proceeded to dunk the broom in a bucket of water for good measure.

That "big ass" spider back then was about the size of one leg of the one above. So yeah.

What an adventure, B_A. :)

Sometimes I wonder if I make the right decision of settling in the UK instead of attempting to make Indonesia my home again. Reading your lil snippet about your life definitely makes me feel homesick though. :)

Hi loney, thank you & welcome (back?).

I think my first reaction to seeing a tarantula on the wall would be to reach for the Baygon and spray the hell out of it hoping it would start moving around in circles like a cockroach and die.

Just curious.. among you household "pets" you don't mention my worst phobia.. rats.. You got those as well.?

I think my first reaction to seeing a tarantula on the wall would be to reach for the Baygon and spray the hell out of it hoping it would start moving around in circles like a cockroach and die.

Just curious.. among you household "pets" you don't mention my worst phobia.. rats.. You got those as well.?
Our house is an old place and we did have them in the roof-space- we took the roof off & put a flat roof on to eliminate that.
Now, we rarely get them inside the house & then it is through negligence of leaving the door wide open with no one around- but we have the dogs, so I think that is a deterrent(sort of).

The one rat incident that stands out is the 3am bedroom rat- someone had left the door open and ratty had entered- unnoticed.
Door had been closed at some point and when we went off up to bed, I noticed some chewing & slivers of wood at the base of the door.
I knew right away we had a bedroom visitor- what ensued could only be likened to Keystone cops or some other ancient slapstick comedy.
Hubby there with a brush to whack it, me holding a rug up in front of me, my back to the bed to guide it away from ME & the bed (the dog dozing & thinking we'd gone nuts).
Jeez they are speedy buggers!
It was off round the bedroom like an olympic sprinter/hurdler, and then it shot up the rug and used me as a springboard to do its triple somersault finale & got a whack to its back that broke bones... even then it managed to get outside and slither off to die.

If you can imagine the screaming & sound effects this gal & her hubby can make (& when it comes to rats he has a higher pitched squeal than a girl) you might have an idea of why lights popped on around the village.
This all took place at about 3 am and we live in a place that is not just quiet at night but is silent apart from nocturnal animal & insect sounds.
I can only imagine what our neigbours were thinking - but they did look relieved to see that both of us were still alive the next day.

Lesson learnt- bedroom door NEVER left open now.

Lesson learnt- bedroom door NEVER left open now.

Your story brings to mind an incident several years ago when we lived in a townhouse on a fairly nice estate neat Tangerang.

We had a pembantu who came every day to clean while we were out and obviously didn't keep the front door closed because the place became infested with rats. We found them in the bedroom, in the living room and they used to come out from behind the cupboard and run between our legs when we were watching TV.

The worst was when i came home one saturday night after a night in the bar and having drunk way too much beer (drunk). Flopped into bed and woke up at 3 in the morning with a thirst to die for wanting a cold glass of water.

I staggered to the fridge in the half light opened the fridge door and there were 2 rats on the top shelf of the fridge. yaaaaaah.... the pembantu had obviously left the fridge door open then closed it without seeing what was inside.

That was the final straw.. I slammed the fridge door and the next day moved out of the townhouse and moved into a hotel. We moved back after 2 days when the landlord assured us that the place was rodent free.

Unfortunately the pembantu lost her job after that.. the landlord fired her.

Didn't see another rat again although we still heard them running around in the roof.

Didn't see another rat again although we still heard them running around in the roof.

If they are in the roof, it won't take long for them to find a way back into your house. If I were you, I would put some rat poison in the roof (but be prepare to search --- or get someone to search --- for the carcass (or carcasses) when you smell bad odor around the house).

If they are in the roof, it won't take long for them to find a way back into your house. If I were you, I would put some rat poison in the roof (but be prepare to search --- or get someone to search --- for the carcass (or carcasses) when you smell bad odor around the house).

yes that's very good advise..

anyway, we have already left that town house now and live in an apartment in Jakarta.

No more rats or other wild life.. just the noise from the people living next door and the family living upstairs who stomp around 24 hours.

I'm not scared of rats, I just consider them disease-carrying pests that need to be eliminated at the first opportunity. My parents' place in Jakarta used to have a rat problem, but only in the back part of the house, where the kitchen and laundry area were. I used rat glue on cardboard with some salted fish as bait, we used to get one or two a week. I had an air gun, and once in a while I would shoot them across the backyard when they strolled out in the open.

Today it's rat free, probably because there aren't any vacant lots around the neighborhood anymore.

Might be a bit off topic, but I'm taking a leave from the forum for a week or two or something. Just thought I would say something, so no-one asks BA if I died or not (like last time). No particularly interesting reason, just me trying to get my shit together, so taking a break from all things electronic that are not work related. Actually, I'll be around until tomorrow afternoon, if anyone can rec me some "nanny-ware" that will help me limit my access to a specific list of sites (self control issues) :clap2:.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819