Palapa šŸ¹šŸ„ƒ

jstar

Mr. 10,000
In yesterdayā€™s Dutch Kingsā€™ Day celebration I saw a rather new booze which is made in Bali. They are a start-up and are looking to expand on Java.

Not bad, itā€™s approx 19% and if thatā€™s too strong you can mix it as well.

E3DD6BF9-8144-489B-AB7F-02628330B91A.jpeg

4C594374-D051-4A4E-B972-9252E49BEBD9.jpeg

No, itā€™s completely incomparable with Tia Maria or so. I would compare it more with a dry Vermouth or spiced rum or certain bitters.

Nutmeg liquor that tastes like a dry vermouth?
Yikes

Could be tasty! I like the flavour of the "mace" flesh when it's dried/Glace'd? I forget the Javanese - pala maybe.

Could be tasty! I like the flavour of the "mace" flesh when it's dried/Glace'd? I forget the Javanese - pala maybe.
Yeah nutmeg and mace are from the same fruit. Odd they list different sources.

Interesting that they say Nutmeg fruit from Cigudeg/Bogor and Mace from East Indonesia. Mace is actually part of the nutmeg, it's the red part that surrounds the seed. So I'm not sure why they wouldn't just get both parts from the same fruit/tree. It would be like getting Oranges from Spain and Orange peel from the US.
Also not sure why they make a thing of sourcing it from all around Indonesia, you can grow all those ingredients in Bogor.

Yeah, perhaps I should have asked the guy.

A reason I can think of is that the fruit as byproduct is very easy and cheap to source from Bogor. And of course it gives a premium impression you get the mace from the perceived ā€˜originā€™, the Moluccan islands. And not to forget it sounds good if you support multiple locations of the country.

Yes all to make a product that 86% of the population considers haram

Still leaves 30million people I guess

I donā€™t believe for one second the local population is the target audience here. The place where itā€™s produced is already a dead giveaway.

In countries like Egypt or Morocco they have great wines btw (ask @Wisnu ).

In countries like Egypt or Morocco they have great wines btw (ask @Wisnu ).
At least, my colleague expat community enjoyed the free (paid by company) flowing local wine such as Ayam and omar Khayam.
Import wine were also very reasonably priced in Egypt.

Now, I can only afford Sababay and hatten or orang tuašŸ˜­

I ordered it and they delivered it immediately - like within 2 hours! I'm not sure I would describe it as bitter...so far I had it on the rocks and its only okay that way. I also had it replacing gin in a negroni (so not a negroni) and it was pretty nice like that. Will try it in a spritz next - I will still need to use aperol/ campari cos I like a stronger bitter flavor.

It seems Campari is harder and harder to get. Many of the booze shops here donā€™t sell it (anymore). It also disappeared from many airlines. And Aperol (Spritz) has become extremely popular. Even over here quite many restoā€™s serve it.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fache