Ordered to leave indonesia because of expired passport.. eventhough kitap is valid until 2022

beebop

As the title says, im royally screwed. I was under the impression i could stay while my passport was being processed

Context please?
How can you leave if your passport is expired. No country is going to let you in?
You're not here illegally. Your visa is valid

Are you sure??

Who ordered you to leave? Snpark, Immigration, South Africa Super Rugby, the food vendor on the street, your wife??????

You story isn't very clear and I am wondering if you are leaving things out. I get you might be stressed out, but seriously, in order for us to give you advice or suggestions, we need the full picture and not 1% of it.

So correct me if I am wrong.

1. Your passport expires in October so a month from now.

2. Your KITAP(wife sponsored) is valid until 2022

3. It takes a year for your passport to be processed under normal circumstances. Probably longer.

4. The South African Embassy says they aren't processing passports due to restrictions.

So I have a few questions for you.

1. Were you working and in what area(IT, aviation, oil, education, etc...)?

2. Did you ask why your embassy what the restrictions were which prevents them from processing the visa?

3. Did you ask for an official letter from your embassy explain the situation in case immigration asks for your passport?

4. Why didn't you go to your embassy straight away when you realized your passport was expiring soon? You spent about a month and half posting here before going to your embassy.

For those wondering, it started here: https://www.expatindo.org/community...ring-embassy-not-processing-them-either.5602/

Ive been contacting the embassy about passport renewal since april. They informed me theyre not doing passport renewals because of lock down. I eventually got an appointment with the embassy in late September to do an application. Thats when they told me they actually havent sent out any applications since 2019, and will not send any applications out to be processed for a very long time. Thats when they told me they offer repatriation flights that i can register for to return to south africa. They will process me with emergency travel documents that will allow me on a flight that they have arranged.
So i wanted to discuss with immigration the kitap of mine which is valid until august 2022, to which they told me, the kitap expires together with the passport and i must leave asap.
What other information can i give?

Have you tried contacting the authorities in charge of passports in South Africa (Department of Home Affairs?)? That is absurd they have not sent any applications since 2019, Covid was not causing any shutdowns in January and February, unless there are simply so few South Africans in Indonesia that they had no requests.

Well for starters, if you had provided the first bit of information in your first post, there wouldn't have been as many 'negative' posts as you described it. We could have maybe given better advice.

Second, if you had posted what you just did when you created this thread, we wouldn't be at the point of asking for more information.

You were leaving out alot of information.

So now question now is, what exactly did you tell immigration and what exactly did they tell you?

But transferring an ITAS/ITAP to a new passport is a routine procedure. I've had it done myself and know of many others who've done so.

Have you tried contacting the authorities in charge of passports in South Africa (Department of Home Affairs?)? That is absurd they have not sent any applications since 2019, Covid was not causing any shutdowns in January and February, unless there are simply so few South Africans in Indonesia that they had no requests.

It could be a number of factors and maybe they combine them with a few other countries in SE Asia.

I still believe they could have done something even with the restrictions.

No airline will accept you with an expired passport anyway. So that's bolox. Your embassy here can give you an emergency travel document.
But this whole story doesn't make sense

You said you already applied for a new passport. And kitap valid until 2022
Youre not here illegally

So I don't understand why they told you to leave

You said you already applied for a new passport. And kitap valid until 2022
Youre not here illegally

So I don't understand why they told you to leave

Immigration told me that a new passport is needed to migrate the kitap to. If theres no new passport coming, then i must get out. So theres no new passport coming since home affairs are not processing them.

No airline will accept you with an expired passport anyway. So that's bolox. Your embassy here can give you an emergency travel document.
But this whole story doesn't make sense

The flights are not regular flights. Theyre repatriation flights that you can only apply to get on through the embassy

Not having a valid travel document is a criminal offence:

Article 119 of the Immigration Law:

(1) Every Foreigner who enters and/or is present
within the Indonesian Territory that owns no
legal and valid Travel Document
and Visa as
contemplated in Article 8, shall be punished for
a maximum of 5 (five) years or fine sentence at
the maximum of Rp500,000,000.00 (five hundred
million Rupiah).

Visa is valid 2022
Pp expires oct
So he hasn't committed any crime?

Visa is valid 2022
Pp expires oct
So he hasn't committed any crime?
According to the law, if he/she stays after the passport expiry date, will be in violation of the law. That is why is ordered to leave.

I know it feels absolutely awful right now but at least you have found this out before you've broken any laws. Assuming you can get on a flight out before your passport expires?

I'm not sure for other Nationalities, but for Indonesian in case of the passport is lost, it is possible to get temporary travel document. the maximum validity is 1 year.
Last year, an Indonesian friend lost her passport in Egypt and she had to travel to another countries. She got the temporary travel document (SPLP) in a day so she can continue her trip.
I hope the SA embassy can quickly issue the similar document so you have a valid travel document.

Embassies are usually issuing temporary/emergency passports with validity of several months or emergency travel documents.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back