Motorcycles over 250cc / LUXURY TAX UPDATES

Balilongtime

Charter Member
Hi Guys, regarding the Luxury Tax applied to motorcycles over 250cc,

i.e.: The two different tax rates…,

Tax rate # 1 : being an extra added 65% luxury tax tacked onto the usual purchase price of motorcycles that have engine sizes OVER 250cc, and up to 500cc maximum.

Tax rate # 2: being an extra whopping 125% luxury tax tacked on to the usual purchase of motorcycles that have engine sizes OVER 500cc.

Question : Is this luxury tax that has been around, pretty much for decades > still unchanged and applicable ( in late 2023) ?

I am asking as since 2022, the law has eliminated a great deal of previously available 250cc motorcycles due to technological engineering advances to their engines which have made the SAME previously 250cc engines, now being released as an uptuned 300cc bike.
This is great news if no tax was applied, but for Indonesia it puts the bike into the added 65% luxury tax category, and manufactors have been pulling those bikes away and out of the Indonesian market.
Some manufacturers are for the short time ‘milking dry ’ their dwindling spare parts of those 250cc versions ( while spare parts are still available) to keep that 250cc version on offer but those spare parts won't last long and there are no new parts being manufactured that are specific only to the 250cc and not the 300cc versions. ( eg: Honda 250 CRF- L and Rally. )

Has the Indonesian Government recognised this loss of available bikes in the ‘once’ 250cc size, and increased updated the luxury tax law limit applied instead up to bikes OVER 300cc instead of 250cc,

Or do they still have their heads buried in the sand on this trend? ..,

Is it still 250cc, ?
If so is their any talks by government planned.

PS : Yes I already know the government have given their priority towards pushing their locally made small Cc scooters into the public as much as possible.

Last edited:
Last week I visited Imos 2023 in ICE BSD as I'm intersted with Suzuki Burgman 400. Unfortunately, Suzuki has no plan to bring Burgman 400 to indonesia due to high tax. They just release burgman 125 though.
Yamaha, although they assembly Xmax 250 (249.8 cc) and 300 in Indonesia but the 300 is for export. Same reason, taxes - and they told me that same taxes structure will be maintained for a "while". I believe Yamaha is very comfortable with the locally "made" Xmax 250 lead the market of medium size scooter, lowest price in the market, cheaper than Kymco, SYM, Wmoto Draco, Rp, 22M cheaper than Honda Forza 250. So, the new Xmax 2024 for Indonesia is still 249.8 cc. The price for 300 will be > Rp. 100M if they sell it in Indonesia.
Kymco no longer sell xciting 400 in Indonesia; 3 of their showrooms in jakarta are closed or temporay closed. I tried to contact SYM via WA, asking for their Maxsym 400 - no response.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blonstein