MERP Extension Online

Did anyone ever manage to renew an expired MERP? Mine expires in November. My US Passport expires next February, and I know they sometimes don’t extent the MERP past the passport expiration date.

Thinking of just getting my next MERP after my new US passport is obtained.

An expired MERP is a total non-issue. I had mine expired for a year (last year of 5-year KITAP) and no one even batted an eye.

If you are certain you will not need to travel abroad during the time you are MERP-less, don't worry about it.

I once let my MERP stay expired for almost 3 years as I had no plans to leave the country, when I did need to leave it took 48 hours to get a new MERP. Caveat, this was about 7 years ago and done at the South Jakarta Immigration office, but I don't think there is any requirement to have a valid MERP if you don't plan to travel, just a little risky in case of emergency travel.

In July last year, some while after My MERP had expired, I had to return to Aus. Made an application (not on line) and it was available next day. But then I still had a couple of years on may passport.
Harry old pal Was it back dated?

No, it wasn't back dated. As Vanuatu said, if you are not travelling you do not need to have it updated.

No, it wasn't back dated. As Vanuatu said, if you are not travelling you do not need to have it updated.
I came in through the immigration from overseas trip in the beginning of Nov. and asked the immigration official if I have to keep the Merp valid even when I am not planning to travel. His answer is Yes

I came in through the immigration from overseas trip in the beginning of Nov. and asked the immigration official if I have to keep the Merp valid even when I am not planning to travel. His answer is Yes
I wanna say that immigration official is incorrect.....either that or he happens to be the first correct one that all the previous posts that I've read (and my agent) were wrong. I've always heard that MERP is strictly for exiting Indonesia and be able to come back. I had been advised before 'to make sure' the MERP hasn't expired yet if I needed to travel internationally...I'm sure some people here have actually let their MERP expire. I personally think as long as it doesn't expire when you're out of indonesia, you should be fine (and make sure you got all the necessary papers to re-activate if you needed to do an emergency travel. My agent took about 1 week to process my 2 year MERP).

I wanna say that immigration official is incorrect.....either that or he happens to be the first correct one that all the previous posts that I've read (and my agent) were wrong. I've always heard that MERP is strictly for exiting Indonesia and be able to come back. I had been advised before 'to make sure' the MERP hasn't expired yet if I needed to travel internationally...I'm sure some people here have actually let their MERP expire. I personally think as long as it doesn't expire when you're out of indonesia, you should be fine (and make sure you got all the necessary papers to re-activate if you needed to do an emergency travel. My agent took about 1 week to process my 2 year MERP).
Thanks, it's good to know!

I've also had an immigration officer tell me that I must always have a valid MERP. I've also never had a problem when my MERP was expired (out of date by years).
I'm going to err on the side that keeps a few extra million in my pocket.

My last MERP (so many) the Immigration officer asked me why I was getting another MERP and told me there was no need to have a MERP if there are no plans for International travel. That is something I have always heard. Still, I always get a MERP just in case there is an emergency and I need to travel. Plus, one never knows if they decide to make a short trip to KL or Sing so someone else can shop. Even the times I applied for a new MERP after the latest one expired, no one said I was late.

My visa dates from November 2022 and apparently includes MERP. I have been out of Indonesia twice and had no issue coming back.

Can you extend the MERP online or do you have to process through the immigration office?

Can you extend the MERP online or do you have to process through the immigration office?
As you can see in the first posts of this thread, there is an online possibility but I wouldn’t be surprised if it (still) doesn’t work. We always visit the kantor Imigrasi. Even the sponsor can apply for it by him/herself (at least in our immigration office so I don’t have to come along).

When I tried to renew back in late Oct, early Nov, it didn't work. It was just easier to go to immigration directly.

I applied my first (spouse) KITAP along with MERP at the end of 2020, I travelled abroad few days ago with NEW passport (which doesn't have information on MERP). so I passed the immigration when I left Indonesia, but the drama started when I came back to Indonesia. Stucked there for few hours, mostly waiting for the officers to consult with Jakarta Barat's immigration office. long story short, my Kitap is beyond saving. and i had to enter to indonesia with 30D tourist visa. The next day, I went to Jakbar immigration office to inquire about new Kitap. but the officer there said i had to start over again, and need to apply VITAS online (visa-online.imigrasi.go.id) and
So!?
Beware ...
There is a law / rule that leaving Indonesia with an expired MERP will VOID your KITAP ....

My visa dates from November 2022 and apparently includes MERP. I have been out of Indonesia twice and had no issue coming back.
If you got MERP and VISa from Nov 2022 that should've been ok...but if you had been in and out while your MERP was expired, you can consider yourself lucky...

Can anybody help me. I have just been given my second five year Kitap. I HAVE NO MERP in my passport and want to go back to indo. What visa do I need to enter the country any idea?

Can anybody help me. I have just been given my second five year Kitap. I HAVE NO MERP in my passport and want to go back to indo. What visa do I need to enter the country any idea?
If you have just gotten your second 5 year KITAP, it will include a 2 year MERP, I believe. I think they incorporated them together.

There must be something in your passport, because the KITAP itself is in the passport, as well as on a separate card

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back