Manado must eats

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
Dear all,

I'll be in Manado for about a week, and it's been years since I've been there last. What are some recommendations on places to go for foods? Foods that are unique to Manado, exceptionally good, or have really fresh seafoods.

Budget is up to 200-300k per person (without alcohol) and willing to go to warungs as well. :)

I've looked on the web and some recommendations are closed :(

Thanks!

This is the place I went to & as a person who is no big fan of fish I was pleasantly surprised- they have an extensive menu & lovely setting.
I am sure those who live there will come up with other places.

Also looking for pork dishes :)

Thanks @Bad_azz if they deliver that's my first meal of the trip right now heheheh

Last edited:
Also pork dishes :)

Thanks @Bad_azz if they deliver that's my first meal of the trip right now heheheh
I have no idea I was only up there just the one time a few years ago. However the food was delicious.
It is virtually next door (a short stroll) from the 4 Points hotel so is easy enough to find. To be honest i wouldn't bother with delivery - I would sit outside on the open air terrace looking at the sea- I am pretty sure the stiff sea breeze would blow all viral particles away :D

Unfortunately I've got work to do :) so it will be a lot of typing on the laptop, presentations to local stakeholders and daily reports in the evening :( but might stay 1 or 2 days longer and do just what you suggest). Although if it gets above 26 degrees I tend to leave a puddle hehehe

I don't know about local Manadonese food vs Jakarta's franchise (like AW Emanuel, Beautika, etc)...but from personal experience, I wouldn't trust their taste buds when the servers say "No...it's not spicy at all". Usually my standard go-to dishes would be pork rica rica, babi kecap, ayam woku, and satay pork rica-rica. If I can turn back the time to my pre-diabetes era...I'd probably indulge in the desserts..

Are you going to sample bats cooked in coconut milk?

For excellent Minahasan food delivered to you check "Bekeng Lapar" on FB or through WA 0811 437490.
Try tinorangsak (babi pake tawa dan kuli bakar di bulu dgn bumbu) or sahut. I just love them. Anyway pretty much anything they cook is authentic and good.

A second place to check is Hapa Kitchen. Not at all Minahasan though. Fusion food, burgers, cream cheese cake and other pastry and great salads. They are on jalan SamRat and you can order on IG. I like them because they do something unusual here and have a sense of quality in choosing the ingredients they work with. The Chef is American and it is one of the only two places in Manado where you will get real and good western food..

Manado is NOT a city for seafood. We don't have shrimp farms or any aquafarming and fishing is pretty limited for multiple reasons (taman nasional, no proper harbor, no cold storage...etc). Most fish come from Bitung and Kema on the other side of North Sulawesi and are transported in MDC in very poor conditions. If you are interested, when in Manado contact me and I will have you visiting the fish market. It will shower your appetite of seafood here. If you really insist, Tuna house & Ikang jubi (same ownership) have a few outlets in town. Same for Raja Oci. Raja Kapiting on the way to the airport is Ok too.

Wisata Bahari, which has been listed earlier, is OK as long as you pick your crab or lobster alive, when they have them. It is probably even pleasant since you won't be invaded by the charters of tourists we once had, taking more pleasure in screaming in the karaoke sound system than in eating food.

There are restaurant to cek on the way to Tomohon, such as Hang Mien, if you are into minahasan "critters".

In Tomohon a great place to check (but incredibly loooooong time to wait before being served) is Gardenia (ask for the menu at 0813-4069-9996 and book and send your order at least 3 hrs before (they will still be late serving you anyway). Food is most of the time really nice and fresh from the garden (which is why you need to order in advance so that they harvest what they will cook for you) and the surrounding is astonishing.

Let me know when you are in town. I don't go out for eating anymore since I have anything I could dream of eating in our cold room and warehouse and a chef to cook them but I'll be happy to meet over a coffee.

Also looking for pork dishes :)

Ko Petrus in the lorong next to Quality Hotel (don't go in the Ko Petrus outlets in malls or Kawasan mega mas) has a remarkable soto rusuk ba. It's a very humble place, always packed for lunch which is always a good sign. Long gone are the time when we had unlimited free refill of kuah but the soto rusuk ba is still the best in town.

Another good, small, cheap place for ragey is Tanta Olla in Jln Wolter Monginsidi in Sario Tumpaan. Often packed again she has been in business for decades. However you have to go there, don't order online. A good ragey has to be eaten on the spot.

Are you going to sample bats cooked in coconut milk?
I tried a bite of bat on a dive trip. I didn't spit it out but it was disgusting. "Gamey" doesn't even come close to describing it. If you can imagine eating cheap incense that's what it tastes like.

Just arrived again in Manado @atlantis , brought three dive crazy Danes with me this time :D We have a few meetings with Dinas energi, PLN, Bappeda, etc. But as soon as we have a fixed schedule I'll let you know? In the mean time we'll try those other places :D

Many of those are not that far from where we're staying, so all good suggestions! :D

Just arrived again in Manado @atlantis , brought three dive crazy Danes with me this time :D We have a few meetings with Dinas energi, PLN, Bappeda, etc. But as soon as we have a fixed schedule I'll let you know? In the mean time we'll try those other places :D
If your friend are into diving I advise them to contact Murex. They have (had?) the best dive guides and a very high standard of service for anything related to diving. They have a resort in Kalasey, but also in Pulau Bangka and operate Critters@Lembeh, the diving center of Lembeh Resort too so with them your friends can dive the three main place of interest in the region, Bunaken/Bangka/Selat Lembeh.

Many of the resorts are closed but a few still operate and have special offers which may be of Interest. Blue Bay Divers, on a private island near Bangka has a dirt cheap package at the moment (I think they charge 1 jt for accommodation, full board and 2 dives, though at that price it is perhaps house reef dives only).

Coral Eye on Pulau Bangka is a small, mid range place I like. Not super fancy but the Italian owner is a great guy and offer I believe a very fair deal for his guests, offering quality food and lodging for the price paid.

In the upper range of accomodation, the best place on Manado/Bunaken/Siladen is Siladen resort on Pulau Siladen but they are closed. They were offering (and will offer again) GREAT Italian and western food, with an Italian Chef, They have been elected "Best Dive Resort in the World" by the worldwide readers of Dive Magazine and to be honest, it didn't come as a surprise.

On the other side, on Pulau Lembeh, the best place is Lembeh Resort that I quickly mentioned earlier.

Dive into Lembeh, which is located in Makawide on the main land of the Lembeh Strait, is just in front of Hairball dive site which offers some of the finest muck diving in the world. If you have only short time to dive Lembeh during your visit, consider them.

I'll PM you my WA number.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinYao