Malware on the RI immigration site?

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
I wonder if this could be somehow just on my computer and would love for some others to check. It appears to me that the immigration site (http://imigrasi.go.id/) has a malware called "coinhive" that uses the computers of visitors to mine bitcoin/cyrptocurrency.

I noticed that my CPU was running at 100% and it said it was a Chrome browser process. Chrome has a built-in task manager (menu>more tools>task manager) which showed me that there was a process called "subframe: coinhive" that was using all the CPU it could get. A quick google search told me this is a malware that is sometimes on web pages and sometimes in Chrome extensions. I killed all my extensions and started going through the tabs I had open one by one, as soon as I closed the immigration site, my CPU dropped to its normal 1-5% and the process is gone. As soon as I open the page the process is back and my CPU spikes to max. I've now tried it on two computers and two different browsers with the same results.

Can anyone else duplicate this behavior? If it is malware purely on their site, who wants to try to explain it to them??

Last edited:
Lol...indeed, it happens to me too.

Probably some enterprising IT person at immigration is trying to earn some extra cash...

Someone else has noticed also (on Jan 7), but it's still up today...

https://www.lapor.go.id/pengaduan/1919182/kendala-dalam-menggunakan-website-visa-online.html

The response from imigrasi appears to be just canned message, so maybe they don't get it.

last week Tuesday we brought all the paperwork for my new Unlimited Kitap to imigration Semarang.
everything was fine and we had to wait for 45 minutes before the petugas ask us to come to the counter and told us they had problems with the computer, they give a paper "bukti penerimaan berkas" and told us that they will call us.
No news since then, could this be related to the above mentioned problems ?

Lol...indeed, it happens to me too.

Probably some enterprising IT person at immigration is trying to earn some extra cash...
Glad to know it's not just me! Yes, I did wonder if it's some outside hacker that installed it or someone internal who assumed it would never be noticed.

last week Tuesday we brought all the paperwork for my new Unlimited Kitap to imigration Semarang.
everything was fine and we had to wait for 45 minutes before the petugas ask us to come to the counter and told us they had problems with the computer, they give a paper "bukti penerimaan berkas" and told us that they will call us.
No news since then, could this be related to the above mentioned problems ?

That seems highly unlikely. It's just a pretty minor malware on their public site. I assume their internal systems are entirely separate. And and in my experience "computer problems" are not uncommon in government offices, it could simply be the one person who knows how to do that thing on the computer is out for the day.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back