Indonesian Police Sex-Murder Scandal Kicks Off Major Purge

I see a lot of people celebrating his short sentence? Did I miss something?

I see a lot of people celebrating his short sentence? Did I miss something?
Yeah - it seems weird to me but he was basically told to do what he did by a superior (and high-ranking) police officer so he had effectively zero chance to say no; he was the only one out of the sentenced group who seems to have told the investigators what actually happened in the build-up to the shooting.
He was a pawn and he spilled his guts up - Sambo was the big fish here.
So I can understand the reasoning of the judge and I understand why some of the public have sympathy for him.

Obviously an important point was the fact that Richard Eliezer Pudihang Lumiu collaborated as witness, he was a pentiti, a repenti. That always means making some kind of deal and getting promised a reduced sentence.

Having said that, and understanding that Richard Eliezer -with a very low rank as Bhayangkara Dua (abbreviated as Bharada)- was not the sharpest pencil in the box, you can not take a man’s life just because you were ordered.

Now for the defense of duress and necessity, very strict requirements are in place. Of course he (or his lawyer) could state he was coerced or forced to do so by the thread on his own life, and there’s nobody (credible) who could really counter that. The only witnesses, but they were not willing to tell the truth, are Sambo and his wife.

Btw, it seems that if a civil servant (as police officer) gets convicted to less than 2 years imprisonment, (s)he can retake and resume that function after the punishment.

Article 87 Paragraph 4 (letter d), civil servants are dismissed with disgrace when they are sentenced to imprisonment ………… for committing a criminal act with a minimum imprisonment of 2 (two) years (and a premeditated crime)

he will appeal; gets 20 years, then good behavior in prison gives him an additional discount 10 years or even more; max spent in prison not more than 10 years.
her, similar - probably in 5 years she will be released.
Hope I'm wrong
Funnily enough it is a similar scenario I've bet on with my wife. The difference was that I bet on the fact that the death sentence will be confirmed in appeal (it will be in the next two months so probably far too close and still very sensitive in public opinion), reduced to 20 years by MA on kasasi in a year. This will open the door to yearly remisi. It will then be reduced to 14 years on PK in 3 or 4 years from now. He will spend no more than 6 to 8 years in jail, possibly less with a presidential grace at the end, like others before him.
I think that wife will stay longer than him behind bar.
No way he get executed. He knows too much and have too many high ranking police officers and others by the balls. People like him (and, for example, the former head of KPK who stayed just a few years behind bars despite having sentenced for mastermind the execution of a man) are far too rich, far too corrupted and far too connected than what mere mortal like us can imagine.
Rendez vous in a few years in this thread. :LOL:

In that case a 'suicide' could also be a possibility.
In my native language we have this saying that you don't teach an old monkey how to grin. Perhaps there is the same sentence or anything approaching in English but even if there isn't I assume the idea it conveys is easy to get. When you are in his position you make sure that an unfortunate suicide wouldn't occur to you without putting in the shit whoever may have interest in suiciding you.

Furthermore I doubt that any of his fellow want to suicide him. They know he won't talk (he hasn't so far anyway) as long as they help him to get out of the s*&t he is, in a reasonable timely manner.

Sambo knows that it can not be out before at least a few years. Likewise the former ketua KPK knew he was in the slammer for a few years and accepted it because he also knew he wouldn't do the 18 years he was promised for a premeditated murder he masterminded. Out of 18, out of memory and I am ready to stand corrected, he did 7 or 8 no more.

The list is long of those, with money and connections, who managed to get out of death row or life (I could give you in an heartbeat the name of at least two drug lords who managed to have a sentence of death dropped on PK to 14 years and out after 7 or 8 years with the remisi and al). None have committed "suicide".

Time will tell, but Sambo won't be woken up at dawn nor he will die in jail.

As an informant / justice collaborator, Eliezer got special protection while being incarcerated. He had to sign a non disclosure agreement. But now they want to remove that additional protection since he gave an ‘unsanctioned’ interview on Kompas TV. The journalist states that there was approval requested and granted btw.

https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/indonesia-police-sex-murder-scandal-purge

Indonesian Police Sex-Murder Scandal Kicks Off Major Purge​

Urge to clean up bad cops strengthens after police shooting scandal​

Indonesia’s national police scandal, which started off in early July with salacious reports of a sexual affair between a high-ranking official’s wife and a driver that triggered a murder cover-up, has evolved into a full-scale mess involving dozens of officers including high-ranking ones and accusations of widespread abuse across the entire force including obstruction of justice and reports of a police mafia protecting gambling, prostitution, drug peddling, and a host of other crimes.

Continued here: https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/indonesia-police-sex-murder-scandal-purge
Did some work with the Indo and Malaysian Police back when I was a cop. Not sure which one was worse :)

The sex scandal aside, The money involved with drugs tends to corrupt most police drug enforcement agencies. In Melbourne the Drug enforcement group has been disbanded and reformed about three times as corruption had seduced many of the police. Marijuana growing by Mafia in Griffith NSW Victoria had bought protection from police for decades until the murder of anti drug campaigner, Donald Mackay forced police to act.
View attachment 2562More than 40 years after the contract killing of Donald Mackay, police finished a two-week swoop on the area, netting $23 million worth of marijuana hidden in three vineyards and an orange orchard.

Some 35 years ago a Federal drug enforcement group was disbanded as it was said it would not share information. The former head of the Bureau told me that of course they would not share information with other state police forces as soon as they did so the information went straight back to the major drug dealers.
Crazy times indeed mate. I spent ten years out of my 22 years in Drug Enforcement. They called them the good old days when it actual fact it was the bad old days.

Indonesian Police is really out of touch ??
Police son hit a whole Family with his car in Cijantung cause the family to be critically injured. The father& Mother have become disabled due to broken bones, fractures and might need an amputation.

https://www.kompas.tv/article/40663...-keluarga-di-cijantung-tidak-ditahan-penyidik

The accident was in July 2022 and it is only that recently the become suspect. recent for late investigation, in the press conference: waiting the whole family who were hit to recover first. Could you believe that ??
There might be something wrong with Indonesian Police Force. It seems only after the New Police Chief was appointed some of cold cases has been reopened.

The case was reported to the National Police Commission (Kompolnas) and the Ombudsman regarding this case, which never went to court. Apart from that, he also file up a complain to the Professional and Security Division of the National Police.

Last edited:
What you see here a lot, is that by compensating the victims, the perpetrators will not be prosecuted. The case will not go to court, under the premise that people don’t file a complaint (anymore). This philosophy is unthinkable in most western countries.

What you see here a lot, is that by compensating the victims, the perpetrators will not be prosecuted. The case will not go to court, under the premise that people don’t file a complaint (anymore).

That's similar to "settling out of court". The elites can get away with murder (literally) if they've got the cash.

If you google it, or search on YT in the past, there are many cases of exclusive show of wealth (Indonesian call it flexing) involving police, custom and tax family members. But after recent cases come to surface involving police force, Tax and Customs officials, many of this shows have disappeared. Hopefully a few people still manage to print screen it, download and pass it to press, newspapers, the trusted NGOs dealing with graft and corruption cases, make the case viral on social media.

What people could witness here is that many of graft/corruption cases have have been revealed due to more freedom in press, the emerging of NGOs, and civil society, the increasing number of people with awareness and courage to make the case viral and get attention that can not be ignored by law enforcers.

Typically it is only people who earn their wealth using illegitimate way will need a show of wealth to prove their existence and their wealth.

Last edited:
Typically it is only people who earn their wealth using illegitimate way will need a show of wealth to prove their existence and their wealth.
I think one has nothing to do with the other. Many -if not most- people who are flexing did nothing illegal to acquire their wealth.

Reactions: Bob
I think one has nothing to do with the other. Many -if not most- people who are flexing did nothing illegal to acquire their wealth.
Certainly not all people with show case of their wealth are acquiring their wealth using illicit activities.
There are reasonable number of cases come to surface recently involving police, custom & tax officials, and to some extends fraudsters in Investment Ponzi pyramid scheme. The salary of police force custom & tax officials are available in the public domain.
People argue it might be just the tips of the iceberg.
When the videos, information, social media contents suddenly deleted and disappeared it might beg a legitimate question.

Funnily enough it is a similar scenario I've bet on with my wife. The difference was that I bet on the fact that the death sentence will be confirmed in appeal (it will be in the next two months so probably far too close and still very sensitive in public opinion),
For information the 4 appeal of 4 defendants (Ma'ruf, Rizal, Sambo and his wife) have been rejected last month and sentenced confirmed, as suspected. The case is now in the end of Mahkamah Agung (Supreme Court) which shouldn't give a decision before next year.

Wants Children to be Policemen. He was scammed up to IDR 310 Million by the Former Head of Police!
https://www.kompas.tv/regional/4174...puan-rekrutmen-polri-korban-rugi-ratusan-juta

Why a person wants to bribe IDR310m for their children to become policemen. Let alone this guy is not rich. This is just one of many examples about Policemen Recruitments. If people see it as an investment, or as a loan, this money will need to be recovered at some point in their careers.
There are a lot of questions will need to be answered.

Last edited:
Indonesian police is corrupt? Oh no! Say it ain’t so!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819