Indo wife travelling to Bali from US with dual citizenship

Bali77

My wife is Indonesian from Bali living in USA with dual citizenship. She is travelling to Bali soon for a 3 weeks visit and is unsure of whether to use US or Indo passport. Any suggestions really helpful.

My wife is Indonesian from Bali living in USA with dual citizenship. She is travelling to Bali soon for a 3 weeks visit and is unsure of whether to use US or Indo passport. Any suggestions really helpful.
Not legal as an adult to have dual citizenship. I wish it were otherwise.

Certainly, only show the passport for the country you are entering, is the normal method.

Leave on the US
Enter Indo with the Indo
Common sense really?
Leave Indo on Indo
Reenter US with US etc
Remember on the tickets when mentioning passport number. And don't keep the passports together. Switch them on the plane mid flight

Leave on the US
Enter Indo with the Indo
Common sense really?
Leave Indo on Indo
Reenter US with US etc
Remember on the tickets when mentioning passport number. And don't keep the passports together. Switch them on the plane mid flight
Love all this common sense.

If you use the Indonesian PP to exit the US and enter Indonesia you do get exit and entry stamps. Many times Immigration looks at any previous stamps and hopefully someone will not have any explaining to do when thise stamps just don't hold up to scrutiny. When reentering the US and now show your US passport the US Immigration will check for your exit stamp from where you are coming from. You know, been in a country not open to travel to US or some other problem. All they will see is that her last entry was from the US and probably ask why is she there since according to the PP used, she never left. Not to sweat the US part since they do allow dual citizenship so have both PP on hand.

The thing is, Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship and onve you get a different citizenship the Indonesian one is cancelled. If this is questioned by Immigration upon her landing in Bali she is in for a big hurt and will be unable to enter Indonesia and probably time in the Immigration jail while they wait for some kind of payment. Your call.

I have a friend in Jakarta that holds both Indonesian and US but when he flies internationally he always flies between Jakarta and Singapore first on a separate itinerary using his Indonesian passport. He then flies to where ever his international destination is using his US passport. Cost a little more, but safer. If you try to leave Indonesia with your US passport and don't have a VOA/Visa they will question you and if you try to leave using your Indonesian passport they will want to see a US Visa.

As she is coming in for a 3 week trip she could us her US passport and get a VOA, but be aware immigration records are very modernized these days. My niece, born a couple of years before you could get an affidavit, held both passports and immigration noticed in her records that she had a US passport and took away her Indonesian passport.

I guess you've never been to Singapore or Dubai? They don't stamp your passport there
And of course for Europeans if you had a European passport no stamps also

But for entry to USA she could if asked show her Indo pp it wouldn't be a problem as I doubt they know it's illegal to hold dual citizenship

It's only entering and leaving Indo that's the problem unless she just wants to use the US one for stamps?

Leave Indo on Indo

There is a problem here because the airlines will not board you if you don't have a visa for the USA. So you will have to show the USA passport in Indo also. A sharp immigration official may also notice that you are going to the USA, but don't have a US visa in the Indonesian passport.

A temporary "workaround" is what @Vanuatu suggested: go to a 3rd country that doesn't require a Visa or one for which you have a visa.

My wife is Indonesian from Bali living in USA with dual citizenship.
Just to state the obvious, your wife does not have dual citizenship (a concept that legally doesn't exist for Indonesians over 21). She is an American citizen who illegally holds an Indonesian passport. As soon as any Indonesian authority or passport officer discovers she has an American passport, the Indonesian passport will be cancelled and she will get a big fine. So she should be pretty careful. The "Singapore dodge" mentioned above can work but there are still risks involved.

I think Herbert is being Helpful here. The correct thing to do is acknowledge her Indonesian citizenship has been invalidated by her new citizenship, travel using the US passport, and look into the proper way to surrender the Indonesian passport if that is necessary.

Any other way carries risks of being found out, flights missed, detention time, etc. For what benefit? Is there a particular reason she wishes to keep her Indonesian citizenship? From the little I have seen Indonesia is fairly accomodating to Ex-WNI on a path to regaining their citizenship, if that is ever here desire.

In this instance just easier to use the US one both ways in and out and only use the Indo one for any domestic affairs
Since US pp is pretty strong here, you not going to get problems arriving on it (like Covid restrictions etc)

Thankyou to all the replies. I appreciate them so much.
I had heard of the Singapore system and thought it may be suitable but also seems to be a bit dodgy.
My other concern was entering on Indo PP and leaving on it would not work as I do not have a US green card anymore, just the US PP, which I would have to show at least to the airline.

So thanks again to you all.

Thankyou to all the replies. I appreciate them so much.
I had heard of the Singapore system and thought it may be suitable but also seems to be a bit dodgy.
My other concern was entering on Indo PP and leaving on it would not work as I do not have a US green card anymore, just the US PP, which I would have to show at least to the airline.

So thanks again to you all.
I’m a bit confused. You said in your first post, “My wife”. Now you are saying “I do not have a green card anymore”. Is this your situation or your wifes?

From my viewpoint, flying US to Indonesia is fairly low risk. Flying out of Indonesia is where I think there would be a problem. Flying to SIN, KUL or BKK first would face less scrutiny.

I’d also be careful if “she” or “you” own property in Indonesia as a dual passport holder.

From my viewpoint, flying US to Indonesia is fairly low risk

If you arrive into Jakarta and have an Indonesian passport with zero stamps in it then you will get scrutiny. I dont believe they often dig through looking for exit stamps from the last contry but if there is nothing in it then they will get suspicious. Leaving Indonesia isnt such an issue for that.

Are the electronic passport readers for Indonesians working again yet? That would solve the problem.

I’m a bit confused. You said in your first post, “My wife”. Now you are saying “I do not have a green card anymore”. Is this your situation or your wifes?

From my viewpoint, flying US to Indonesia is fairly low risk. Flying out of Indonesia is where I think there would be a problem. Flying to SIN, KUL or BKK first would face less scrutiny.

I’d also be careful if “she” or “you” own property in Indonesia as a dual passport holder.
Hello Jaime
It is her husband writing this now as it was in the beginning. She wanted to reply herself to thank all those who have sent replies.
I had read entering /leaving via Singapore concept but was concerned at DPS when they could ask to see some visa etc beyond Singapore and there could be a snag. That also could include where does she live.
Yes she does own property in Indonesia.
Thanks.

If you arrive into Jakarta and have an Indonesian passport with zero stamps in it then you will get scrutiny. I dont believe they often dig through looking for exit stamps from the last contry but if there is nothing in it then they will get suspicious. Leaving Indonesia isnt such an issue for that.

Are the electronic passport readers for Indonesians working again yet? That would solve the problem.
Hello Ruserious
Thanks for the reply re my wife, yes it;s her husband writing.
Her Indo passport has quite a few entries in and out of Indo and the US (before she got citizenship this year.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back