Import duty exemption now at US $100

Balilongtime

Charter Member
Too bad...

On a related topic, I've been looking for a Samsung Chromebook Plus and so far it's only available to me via Amazon. If I get it shipped to Indonesia, it's about $400 for the laptop itself + over $200 shipping and import duty deposit!

By comparison, if I get it shipped to Singapore, the price of the item is the same but the shipping is free and the import duty deposit is only $29!

Have Amazon changed their attitude regarding posting items to Indonesia ?
.., Last time I looked (a few years ago) - Amazon did not want to have anything to do with posting anything the Indonesia, so I was forced to use Ebay .

I don't even know how using Ebay will go either these days .., as I got a message recently telling me Paypal has now stopped allowing me to have items sent to Indonesian addresses via using an outside of Indo paypal account ?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Depends on the item; systems like Amazon and eBay now offer a pre paid customs tax for certain countries. They will calculate and charge you the costs up front, and then pay the taxes for you.

Yes, I got the same PaPal issue with 'non Indonesian' accounts. Also, the link to bank accounts in RI is hit & miss.

El_Goretto

Cager
Items sold by Amazon themselves ship to Indonesia. As jstar said, they tack on an import fee deposit. If the import fee deposit is less, you get a refund 1 or 2 months after the purchase. Shipping is fast too.

bronze7

I ordered a few things from China, it took almost 2 months and now it is available to be picked up at the POS. However, customs are not following the new law and are charging me tax for the amount over $50. Not too surprising though. Should I try to fight this charge or is it a lost cause? So for future reference Jakarta customs are still in the dark about the updated amount.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I ordered a few things from China, it took almost 2 months and now it is available to be picked up at the POS. However, customs are not following the new law and are charging me tax for the amount over $50. Not too surprising though. Should I try to fight this charge or is it a lost cause? So for future reference Jakarta customs are still in the dark about the updated amount.
Bring a printout of the new allowance when you go to pick it up.

Vicissidude

Charter Member
Cager
Crap... I wish I saw this thread sooner. I recently ordered from a US vendor. Total was about $95, but the shipping cost puts it over the $100 mark. I don't understand how shipping is a taxable product, but I guess whatever works in their favor... We'll see how it goes. My order was shipped 3 weeks ago.

Vicissidude

Charter Member
Cager
We'll see how it goes. My order was shipped 3 weeks ago.

Received my package and thankfully no additional customs fees! Just 20k for Pos Indonesia. It was a fairly discreet and smallish package, and the retailer didn't include any receipt to give away the value of the goods inside. I think those things worked in my favor, and perhaps the seller I bought from knew the drill already.

Glad I now know to keep it under $100 total when possible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonel999
Top Bottom