How to obtain Indonesian Citizenship

Finally 'tis done after what has felt like an eternity.

party-time-excellent.jpg

Now run for the Jakarta Governor position.

I'm seeking some information on how to get indonedian citizenship.

To answer some questions one might have.... Why? Because this is home, I don't like having to do business awkwardly due to my citizenship, and...a whole bunch of other headaches would be relieved. If I want to move back to the USA some day, then I'll deal with it. No, I don't want to change my citizenship because of Trump or US politics. I migrated to Indonesia. It is home and will be likely till I get old and die from eating street food.

Quick stats:
Married to WNI for 8+ years
Currently on KITAP (on 2nd year)
Previously on KITAS for 5 years with no breaks or exit only permit.
Mid-November will be 7 years total on KITAS/KITAP, Was on sosbud for 2 months prior to getting KITAS.

Does anyone have a good source for information on how to gain Indonesian citizenship? Otherwise options I think are go knocking at imigrasi or find an immigration lawyer.
Hello,dude... Can i know where you live now? Loving street food reminds me to get in touch with you,
Yea... street food is just like a hidden tasty meal

Hi, i have a question. I contacted my embassy for info on renouncing my citizenship in order to become indonesian. They told me that due to the pandemic, theyre not doing that. I had a similar situation last year when my passport expired, and they wernt doing that either.. so i had to fly back, make a passport in my country and return. After 11 years of being away from my home country, that trip was not an easy one! The experience has left me traumatised and i decided that i want nothing to do withmy country of birth anymore. But now it appears that i cant even renounce my citizenship at the embassy!!! I feel so betrayed by my country of birth. Probably the only country in the world right now thats not processing passports or renounciations of citizenship. I also appear to be the only south african on this forum. Is there any hope for me? I feel almost stateless in a way

Hi, i have a question. I contacted my embassy for info on renouncing my citizenship in order to become indonesian. They told me that due to the pandemic, theyre not doing that. I had a similar situation last year when my passport expired, and they wernt doing that either.. so i had to fly back, make a passport in my country and return. After 11 years of being away from my home country, that trip was not an easy one! The experience has left me traumatised and i decided that i want nothing to do withmy country of birth anymore. But now it appears that i cant even renounce my citizenship at the embassy!!! I feel so betrayed by my country of birth. Probably the only country in the world right now thats not processing passports or renounciations of citizenship. I also appear to be the only south african on this forum. Is there any hope for me? I feel almost stateless in a way
I cannot renounce my british citizenship at the Brit embassy either, it is an online process with the Home Office in the UK, the dealings I had here with the embassy were merely to get official letters to say they had no objection to my gaining Indonesian citizenship, and to cancel my passport - i assume they make some sort of letter & cut a corner off the passport. Not sure not done that bit yet.
You aren't a UK citizen though, so I am not sure what your country does.

Are you now able to be a candidate for the Presidency?
Unfortunately not. As per UUD the President RI and Wakil Presiden must be native Indonesian citizens.
But she can be Minister or DPR or even Ibu RT. I know an Eks WNA who became pak RT after becoming Indonesian so why not.

Unfortunately not. As per UUD the President RI and Wakil Presiden must be native Indonesian citizens.
But she can be Minister or DPR or even Ibu RT. I know an Eks WNA who became pak RT after becoming Indonesian so why not.
The why not is mainly because I don't want to be mithered daily with people's bickering and petty problems - I have enough to deal with making my dogs behave ;)

Embassy done this morning.
I got a letter to say my passport had been cancelled at the embassy & they cut the corners off it.

We called in at KanIm on the way home to inform them & came away with a file of forms to fill in.

I have to make a letter - I have a sample but won't post it here as it is complete with all the private details of a previous applicant (eye rolls at the complete lack of data protection in this country!)

They say they want the original SKIM - however ahu wanted that & they do not return any original documents sent there either so I don't have it - I did scan it so I can send them a scan of the original , hopefully that will be sufficient.
They want a photocopy of the passport
The ahu SK
Surat nikah
Photocopy of husband's KTP & original
kitap copy.
They gave us 3 formulir all the same #27 to complete.

Monday will see us dropping these in at KanIm & then heading to the Catatan Sipil to sort out my new KTP and other stuff- I will be taking all our documents there as I will likely end up needing something. I will probably end up with a new KK
Then we have to sort out the local govt stuff for voting etc- I assume I can't do any of that until I have my new KTP .

The take away advice from all of this for any of you: when you get any original documents scan them into Jpeg and pdf files & keep backup copies on a flash drive/cloud somewhere safe.

When all that is sorted and you enter the political arena do you think you could get mayors, governors and other officials to stop wearing military uniforms? It seems to be designed to remind everyone who really runs the country.

When all that is sorted and you enter the political arena do you think you could get mayors, governors and other officials to stop wearing military uniforms? It seems to be designed to remind everyone who really runs the country.
If you ever visited a school here you would see just how young an age, militarised begins.
I hate seeing children marching & saluting, it turns my guts.

They all grew up during Suharto’s era, so they are conditioned from birth to idolize military values. Even if they don’t personally like marching around like soldiers in uniform, a lot of people half expect them to dress and act that way to symbolize authority. The majority of governors, regents and mayors used to be military officers, so it was natural for them.

I voted in an election a few years back for Jakarta governor (yes that one). Pak RT told me I was on the list despite still being on my first kitap at that point.
I was also asked by him to vote in the last presidential election but I decided not to, as the winner seemed quite clear and I didn't want to risk somebody pointing out I'm not meant to.

Yes, I’ve had Imigrasi and Notaris hand out samples with all the real info of people. I think once in Bandung I even got a document from someone on this forum.

Congrats BA! No need to be president...just be a powerful minister of law and human rights and revise the shit out of the current immigration law!!

Yes, I’ve had Imigrasi and Notaris hand out samples with all the real info of people. I think once in Bandung I even got a document from someone on this forum.

Ah, this explains why they keep asking for the exact same documents they already have on file.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back