How to obtain Indonesian Citizenship

I'm actually considering it myself. What are the implications for the pre-nup? Is it still valid, even though the reason it was created (foreigners owning property) no longer exists? If the WNI dies, the WNA (now WNI) inherits? Naturalised Indonesians can own land, right?

I'm actually considering it myself. What are the implications for the pre-nup? Is it still valid, even though the reason it was created (foreigners owning property) no longer exists? If the WNI dies, the WNA (now WNI) inherits? Naturalised Indonesians can own land, right?
I would assume one can own land if one is a citizen.
I also would assume that seeing as post-nups are accepted nowadays there may be potential to make a new agreement.

I don't know for sure without looking into the legislation but they do seem logical assumptions

It is still valid until it is dissolved by approval of both parties, and this fact is registered with CatSip.

I'm actually considering it myself. What are the implications for the pre-nup? Is it still valid, even though the reason it was created (foreigners owning property) no longer exists?
Absolutely valid. It isn't affected by a change of citizenship.
If the WNI dies, the WNA (now WNI) inherits? Naturalised Indonesians can own land, right?
Naturalised Indonesians have the exact same right than pribumi.

If your intention is to become Indonesian, the first step is to realize that you won't be an half citizen due to your origin, religion, color of skin...etc.

I am at this bit now- renouncing my citizenship.
I am a bit stuck & I would appreciate some help.

Info from Indonesia- I must send in my declaration of renouncing UK citizenship- but UK wants this:
" You should send a letter from the authorities of the country concerned confirming that you will be granted citizenship of that country when you have renounced British citizenship, "

Does Indonesia require proof of renunciation?
To my knowledge , I believe so.
"8. Asli surat keterangan dari perwakilan negara Pemohon yang menerangkan jika Pemohon memperoleh

Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia maka yang bersangkutan kehilangan kewarganegaraannya;

8. The original certificate from the Petitioner's country representative explaining if the Petitioner obtained Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia, then the person concerned loses his citizenship. "

That is from the document KanWil issued. (& translation)

I believe this about the empessy, they need a letter from empessy , the empessy will issue the letter after you show them the skim

As for the AHU its an online portal need to be completed and pay the fees online

I believe the UK allows one chance to return as a citizen, if the reason you had to give up citizenship was a valid one. Does the fact that Indonesia doesn't allow dual citizenship and you have no rights here count as a valid reason for becoming a citizen?
Would that reason be enough to go back to being a British citizen in the future if needed?

I believe the UK allows one chance to return as a citizen, if the reason you had to give up citizenship was a valid one. Does the fact that Indonesia doesn't allow dual citizenship and you have no rights here count as a valid reason for becoming a citizen?
Would that reason be enough to go back to being a British citizen in the future if needed?
The UK does indeed offer a 1 time only revert back to British citizenship .
Yes, being a citizen of a country that doesn't offer dual/multi citizenship is one of the reasons they permit the change back - BUT I am not that interested in the change back as I haven't yet got my RI citizenship & it is not a cheap process. Seems pointless getting the RI citizenship if one is not serious about having it.

Not so sure what you mean by having 'no rights ' here (in Indonesia)

Yes, being a citizen of a country that doesn't offer dual/multi citizenship is one of the reasons they permit the change back - BUT I am not that interested in the change back as I haven't yet got my RI citizenship & it is not a cheap process. Seems pointless getting the RI citizenship if one is not serious about having it.

Citizenship is what gives people their legal rights, but some countries offer more to those holding long stay visas or spouses of citizens. In Indonesia foreigners have very little in the way of legal rights.

If foreign spouses or those holding long term resident visas had more legal rights then they wouldn't need to change citizenship.

Last edited:

To my knowledge , I believe so.
"8. Asli surat keterangan dari perwakilan negara Pemohon yang menerangkan jika Pemohon memperoleh

Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia maka yang bersangkutan kehilangan kewarganegaraannya;

8. The original certificate from the Petitioner's country representative explaining if the Petitioner obtained Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia, then the person concerned loses his citizenship. "

That is from the document KanWil issued. (& translation)
I think you do not need to, You will need an intention letter that you will renounce your citizenship. You can contact the UK embassy, they are used to issue these letter for the purpose of Indonesian citizenship.

Is there anyone who have a sample docs for requirements number 12 until number 16 ?

Attachments

• 08F730A0-2FF6-436D-90C9-C9D46C29BAED.jpeg
    08F730A0-2FF6-436D-90C9-C9D46C29BAED.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 214
Hi, its me again... I may not pass the sanity part of the medical due to insanity brought on by doing this damn process & here is today's question.
They want legalised copies of me & hubby's KTP, his Birth certificate & The marriage certificate (I actually already have certified copies of this marriage certificate in Thai & English- stamped by M.o.F.A in Thailand & a cert translation) so I guess that is enough.

Hmm so basically where would I get legalised copies of his & my KTP & his birth certificate? is a notaris enough or does it involve pratting about with ministries/consuls etc?

Hmm so basically where would I get legalised copies of his & my KTP & his birth certificate? is a notaris enough or does it involve pratting about with ministries/consuls etc?

KTP + KK can be legalized at CaPil, although they may not do it anymore for eKTP versions, because technically all the government departments have access to the data.

KTP + KK can be legalized at CaPil, although they may not do it anymore for eKTP versions, because technically all the government departments have access to the data.
Thank you, a friend just told me I can do this at the kelurahan, so I will check there 1st & get back on here if it is possible.

Thank you, a friend just told me I can do this at the kelurahan, so I will check there 1st & get back on here if it is possible.
So the kelurahan said on first visit, oh yeah, bring the documents in tomorrow.
went back with documents the next day & they said , oh no, sorry we can't do this... you need to go to Catatan Sipil. LOL
so:
win for Dafluff/ fail for the person who works in one of the ministries
& no surprise at all re having to go to catan sipil or any of it really :D

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads