How does one Register a new Pre-paid SIM card

MieTekTek

Does anyone have a solution for keeping an Indonesian SIM card active (in Indonesia) while travelling overseas?

Several times I've had to get a new number when coming back, because the old one has gone inactive. Then there's the hassle of distributing the new number to those who require it.

I'd like to think that there's some simple solution I'm overlooking, but 'simple solution' and 'Indonesia' are two phrases that I've rarely put together in a sentence.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Only way I've managed to keep my sim alive is by topping up, which extends the expiry. You can use this app - Ding - to top up your card before expiry when oversea.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
If you have Telkomsel for instance, and you open the App, you see a pulsa and a SIM expiry date. There you can also add pulsa, just as on the MyTelkomsel website. Very often the *363# or *888# to do that don't work abroad (anymore, they changed it).

Only way I've managed to keep my sim alive is by topping up
But then you should remember to top up and you keep on adding pulsa ...

Just send a text once or twice a month
Or just use it once in a while. But then you should still have pulsa and remember to put the SIM in your phone over there...

I just know I will forget, so what I do when I leave for a long period (6 months or so), is to give the card to a family member here who can use it in the mean time. (Added advantage: Someone will pick up the phone.) WA etc. keeps on working even with a different SIM.

My wife is smarter, she has a dual SIM phone. And keeps both SIMs active, she only deactivates the Cellular Data and roaming on the (RI or EU) SIM.

Last edited:

snpark

Cager
Or just buy a crappy $10 burner old phone and keep it on.

Just any basic activity is enough

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
All the following is based on Telkomsel.

Simply add some pulsa from your Indonesian online banking. You may lose access to the phone app if you get logged out and can't receive their SMS with login link, but it doesn't matter, buying pulsa from your online banking will still add time to the number's validity.

If you know how long you will be gone, you could do it before you leave, though doing it monthly ends up being 'cheaper'. It doesn't actually cost you money to extend, it's just saving that money/pulsa for later use.

Adding 20,000 adds 30 days.
Adding 150,000 adds 120 days.
Adding 500,000 adds 240 days.
Adding 1,000,000 adds 330 days.

MieTekTek

All the following is based on Telkomsel.

Simply add some pulsa from your Indonesian online banking. You may lose access to the phone app if you get logged out and can't receive their SMS with login link, but it doesn't matter, buying pulsa from your online banking will still add time to the number's validity.

If you know how long you will be gone, you could do it before you leave, though doing it monthly ends up being 'cheaper'. It doesn't actually cost you money to extend, it's just saving that money/pulsa for later use.

Adding 20,000 adds 30 days.
Adding 150,000 adds 120 days.
Adding 500,000 adds 240 days.
Adding 1,000,000 adds 330 days.

Yes, thats right if the user has access to mobile banking. You pay a small 1.5k charge though. The Ding app I used above is during the time when I'm just a frequent tourist to Indonesia and I don't have access to banking account here.

Now that I just signed up as a prepaid credit reseller, I'll just top up my card from my stock balance. For amount 50k and above, I'm actually lesser than the credits topped up. Plus, I don't pay the extra 2k like when you pay when topping up at counters.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yes, thats right if the user has access to mobile banking.

You're right; that's often the point with retired people who live abroad (pension and social security) and overwinter here or visit frequently. They don't have a bank account etc.

So that's why it was a big problem for many when they could not use the *888# and *364# anymore abroad; there was no way for them to add pulsa and extend validity.

MieTekTek

I was doing fund remittance via WorldRemit this morning and I noticed that there's an option to send airtime top up. So, this another way to keep your sim card alive when overseas and you don't have access to Indonesian bank online banking. FYI.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja
Top Bottom