home internet provider

yooooz

hi, i will be working gin Jakarta soon
any recommendations for broadband or fiber home internet?
thank you.

Better give the area where you plan to live. Normally Indi Home and First Media are the (preferred) providers.

We had Indihome on our rental house. 330k for 20 Mbps broadband. Quite a lifesaver as Telkomsel coverage in our area is screwy.

Don't go near first media. Over priced and crap with frequent downtime.
I recommend myrepublik. Been very good for me.

I don't disagree with the First Media criticism, but MyRepublic still doesn't cover the whole area and is -important- quite expensive. They offer much faster solutions in Singapore btw.

To provide area info is important to get a 'feel' for the provider. I've not seen many countries where the experience with the copper/fiber based solutions were so dependent on the location.

Really? MyRepublic is cheaper and faster than IndiHome.

But if it's not available, I would definitely look at IndiHome over First Media.

Once I get a chance to move from First Media...I'll do it....this past couple months have been really terrible..felt like I was back to the dial-up era. For some reason during the extreme slowdown, download speed (as shown on speedtest) was 15-18mbs but upload was .15 Mbps and i don't know what was wrong...now it's working fine and speed is 20-25Mbps...upload is 1 Mbps. Any IT folks can explain if the upload really affects the browsing speed?

Once I get a chance to move from First Media...I'll do it....this past couple months have been really terrible..felt like I was back to the dial-up era. For some reason during the extreme slowdown, download speed (as shown on speedtest) was 15-18mbs but upload was .15 Mbps and i don't know what was wrong...now it's working fine and speed is 20-25Mbps...upload is 1 Mbps. Any IT folks can explain if the upload really affects the browsing speed?

Yes, absolutely.

If you try to visit expatindo.org, it starts with you sending a request to the website telling it that you want to visit and that uses your upload speed. Only once the website has received the request can it start sending you data (download).

It works like this at the very basic but there are hundreds of these backs and forths going between a website and your computer so if th forth is slow the back is delayed and so on.

And that's only one part of the data leaving your computer to some server. Your operating system, your apps all keep sending data back and forth all the time and same with all the other devices on your wifi network. So if you're upload speed is so slow in the first place, there's not much left to go around.

The last 6 months it's not so bad anymore with FM*.

Before that, there were constantly outages, esp. during the evenings and in the weekends. And also periods of extreme slowing down, them blaming (and replacing) my modem. Or the cabling in the house or the WiFi. Luckily they saw it was all BS the moment they connected a long coax to the pole outside.

* Nothing to do with Internet, but I hate that they change the TV channels à volonté. So suddenly an interesting movie channel (as CinemaWorld or tvN) is gone or even worse, no longer in your subscription.

ISP usually limit the upload speed cos

1. Most home internet users don't use much upload speed than download speed. When you browse the web, your browser just send a simple request to the server where the website (eg. www.expatindo.org) is hosted on, and the uploading job is done. What follows is the downloading job where you see all the text and graphics start to appear and these uses much more bandwidth than the "simple request" your browser send.

2. Prevent end user from hosting their own file server at home. Some advanced users have their computers at home configured as file server to have their content available when they are outside. Or even sharing files via torrent. These activities "eat" bandwidth.

In Singapore where we have 1 Gbps (or dual 1 Gbps) connection, we get these types of bandwidth restriction as well.

I live in a building which limits the broadband options to only Indointernet (I purchase a TV + broadband pack yearly...which is crazy but after 4 years there I have just had to get used to it). I pay for 20Mbps and lately (last week) had been getting 3 to 5Mbps so called to complain. They fobbed me off saying the "internet was slow" at the time I did my speed check. So I have been monitoring daily (morning & evening) and keeping a record. On Monday the broadband just stopped working alltogether (literally just 100-250 kbps), couldnt even play spotify. It turns out the roadworks along Jl. Satrio have cut into one of the fiber cables and a lot of providers in the area are affected.
Until last week I had no complaints about the service so never looked at the other options available to me. Since I'm limited by the building I would need a mobile broadband option but I live on top of a quite tall building (about 200m up) and I'm not sure they cover that high up.....
Hopefully the workers on Jl. Satrio can fix that cable quickly ;)

Yes, they work everywhere, it's rather messy. Besides fiber, also PLN putting the electricity cables underground and the DKI fortifying all the walls and shores orfthe canals and rivers before the heavens really open up.

ISP usually limit the upload speed cos

1. Most home internet users don't use much upload speed than download speed. When you browse the web, your browser just send a simple request to the server where the website (eg. www.expatindo.org) is hosted on, and the uploading job is done. What follows is the downloading job where you see all the text and graphics start to appear and these uses much more bandwidth than the "simple request" your browser send.

2. Prevent end user from hosting their own file server at home. Some advanced users have their computers at home configured as file server to have their content available when they are outside. Or even sharing files via torrent. These activities "eat" bandwidth.

In Singapore where we have 1 Gbps (or dual 1 Gbps) connection, we get these types of bandwidth restriction as well.
While these concerns are understandable, limiting upload makes for a really sh**ty experience with Skype / any other video-calling service. Uploading videos to YouTube becomes painfully slow just because ISPs are scared that people will run servers.
I find these arguments disingenuous because I just want to buy guaranteed bandwidth (down AND up) from an ISP. How I use that bandwidth is my **** business. The ISP is perfectly capable of capping the upload speed to THE SPEED I AM PAYING FOR. IMHO, capping upload to an arbitrarily low speed is borderline fraudulent.

I still use Indihome fiber at home (50mbps @765.000+PPN)..very rare have problem..only when mickey mouse chewing the cable..lol.
For mobile, we use Indosat family package ( 5 numbers, 60GB, at Rp 362.000/month). I also use Telkomsel OMG package at Rp 90.000 for 14 GB ..its enough for chit chatting on whatsapp, FB, wechat..tiktok :LOL:

Indihome is great for us here. Also the service guy we use is freakin' awesome..... his motto is "nothing is impossible"

I still use Indihome fiber at home (50mbps @765.000+PPN)..very rare have problem..only when mickey mouse chewing the cable..lol.
For mobile, we use Indosat family package ( 5 numbers, 60GB, at Rp 362.000/month). I also use Telkomsel OMG package at Rp 90.000 for 14 GB ..its enough for chit chatting on whatsapp, FB, wechat..tiktok :LOL:
I'm always curious about the OMG Telkomsel..is there any special tricks to use it? I get it with my monthly Rp 50,000 packet but I never know how to use it (on my phone at least).

Our old home had First Media... about 98% uptime, but expensive and the downtime would come at the worst possible moments (eg: when my son's friends come over & want to play xbox).
Our new house has Indihome, and the connection speed seems fine, but there is one fatal flaw... THOSE MOTHERF*CKERS BLOCK NETFLIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The new neighborhood does not have a First Media option, so it looks like I am being pushed back into a certain "Bay" in order to watch the shows I pay Netflix in order to access.

Quite disappointed with Telkomsel Indihome, but they won't let us cancel it, as it is in the name of the person who owned the house 20 years ago, and they say any cancellation needs to be approved by power of attorney by him (even though we have no idea who that is, if he is still alive or where we could find him).

Quite disappointed with Telkomsel Indihome, but they won't let us cancel it, as it is in the name of the person who owned the house 20 years ago, and they say any cancellation needs to be approved by power of attorney by him (even though we have no idea who that is, if he is still alive or where we could find him).
If the bill is not in your name, just stop paying it and they will eventually cancel the service. You can get a new service at anytime, just disconnect the Telkomsel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back