Hi everyone, newbie here planning to move to Jakarta despite lockdown!

clairejj

Hello to everyone here! I'm set to move to Jakarta in the next month, and the pandemic is really making everything more complicated than it already is. Not sure how I could go about viewing apartments and meeting new people when everyone is staying and working at home. I'm very anxious about the loneliness - but still excited for the move!

Would appreciate any tips re: what area best to live in if I don't know how to drive. My office is near the Selamat Datang Monument, so ideally somewhere I can walk or with a short commute via public transport. Thank you!

Well firstly make sure you can enter the country legally and correctly?
How do you propose to do that?
Do you have your Kitas and Imta already?

Welcome to Jakarta - your office location is close to the MRT and multiple apartment buildings so you could literally walk to work if you stay in the area or you pretty much can live along the MRT line.
Here is a helpful website: http://all-jakarta-apartments.com/luxury/

I just came back to Jakarta after leaving in March due to the uncertainity of the COVID-19 situation and it has been a shock to see how changed the city is. I dont think I would be happy moving here in the current environment. Most of my expat friends have left and many local friends aren't going out or meeting outside of their family groups (most of them have old parents/ grandparents so they need to be extra careful). Before Covid I used to run a meetup group for expats to help them make friends/ build a network but we wont be hosting anything like that any time soon.

In your message you refer to not being able to drive - this wont be an issue here. Taxis are abundent and cheap (Jakarta taxis are mostly safe and decent - WAY better than Thai or Malaysian taxis). Its also cheap to hire a driver and rent a car if you want to do that but I find it a hassle and prefer to just take taxis.

Best of luck!

Well if she didn't have a KITAS she wouldn't be allowed in the country at the moment.

There are lots of apartment blocks near Bundaran HI. Thamrin City is one that is worth looking at, especially on the top floor they made it like a little village, where people park their cars in the driveway and everything.
1597024070419.png

Whats your budget for places to live? You looking for place for one person or for a family?

Hi Claire, welcome to the forum. If your job is near the Selamat Datang statue* you should have all kinds of housing options nearby. Try this website for starters: https://www.rumah123.com/en/rent/

*That rotary is often referred to as HI Circle, or HI Bundaran. HI = Hotel Indonesia, and is pronounced, from the standpoint of a native English speaker, as "hah eee." A bundaran is a rotary.

A tip from someone who lived in Menteng and walked to work on Jl. Sudirman for a few years: your skin will get really dirty walking around central Jakarta on a regular basis. If you have favorite skin cleansers that you aren't sure you will be able to buy in Indonesia, bring a good supply with you.

I hear you with some of the questions with no information and those who post certain questions without scrolling to the specific area.

You probably have seen some of my comments on Jakarta Post Facebook page.

And just like that she's gone again lol

Well, your response to her was the very first one, and it challenged rather than welcomed. You could have asked her exactly the same questions you posed in a nicer tone. Do you suppose the way you answered her could have had anything to do with the fact she hasn't returned?

Nope not at all. Sorry. This isn't a kids forum. This is for adults. Someone comes on saying they are moving here for the first time ever etc of course the first thing to tell them is be careful and make sure you enter on the correct visa.

That, and leave the illegal drugs at home.

Then the 2nd question will be where to live. Assuming she gets through immigration.

Anyway she didn't return anyway so your point is moot

This isn't a kids forum. This is for adults.
Agreed, and I think a hallmark of adulthood is the ability to behave graciously.

Someone comes on saying they are moving here for the first time ever etc of course the first thing to tell them is be careful and make sure you enter on the correct visa.
Agreed, and I think your post could have done that by saying something like "Hi, welcome to the forum. If you aren't familiar with Indonesia, you may not know that there are strict rules regarding legal entry and working for foreigners. There is substantial paperwork required, and a few sleazy employers out there who offer jobs outside of legal channels. Are you confident that your employer has made sure you have a proper KITAS and IMTA? You can get a lot of information from this forum if you have any concerns about the process."

But you didn't say "be careful." You asked out-of-context questions with no effort to greet a newbie or explain why you were asking. In person, the same approach would have seemed rude. As a mod on this forum, it strikes me as rude on the internet as well.

Anyway she didn't return anyway so your point is moot

No argument there. Many times newbies come in, ask excited and possibly naive questions, and get thoughtful, polite answers. We still never hear from them again.

I don't think those vanishing newbies are being deliberate assholes, any more than I think you are. But c'mon, people! All of you - one-post-wonders, old-timers like snpark, whoever you are - it would be really nice if you could show some consideration and common sense for other internet denizens.

How were my questions out of context? I asked her what visa she had? Considering no international visitors are allowed except kitas/p and citizens that's surely the first and most important question as you yourself know we have many members who have no idea of the laws about imta kitas etc here

Anyway if she comes back maybe I will spend 20 minutes on a longer warmer greeting rather than waste my time on a newbie.

Perhaps when enroling, newbies should be sent a post about kitas imta first? Or do's and donts?

So the first question isn't always about visa. When there's so many posts on the topic

How were my questions out of context? I asked her what visa she had? Considering no international visitors are allowed except kitas/p and citizens that's surely the first and most important question as you yourself know we have many members who have no idea of the laws about imta kitas etc here

Anyway if she comes back maybe I will spend 20 minutes on a longer warmer greeting rather than waste my time on a newbie.

Perhaps when enroling, newbies should be sent a post about kitas imta first? Or do's and donts?

So the first question isn't always about visa. When there's so many posts on the topic
If she doesn't have the right visa she won't get in here in the 1st place so to be fair your questioning was off .

You likely have no clue but what you see as pragmatic questioning, comes across as somewhat intimidating/occasionally aggressive and almost always blunt.
I have no beef with you at all but a little self awareness never hurts. Inject some warmth and kindness into your tone at times and be surprised by the results? :p
& don't come back with any shirty responses to me or I shall kick your arse all the way to Sumatera & back :'D

I presume you must live in totally the opposite direction to Sumatra then hahaha
Send me to Manado to meet Atlantis

I presume you must live in totally the opposite direction to Sumatra then hahaha
Send me to Manado to meet Atlantis
If Manado is on the menu, I am off there myself & I fully expect A to be buying the drinks ;)
& I think it is pretty well known that I am in Bandung :p

Hmmm now you have set me off wondering about travel whilst I have the chance...

Yet to do all the B's Bali Bandung Bekasi Bogor BSD

Personally, I am amazed by the numbers of dreamers that post rather silly questions on the Indo forums .
I mean, when somebody decides to move to another country, one will do the necessary research on the internet, immigration websites, contact visa agents etc ? ...
The number of times I saw things like " I went on holiday, and I am really in love with Bali, and the Indonesian people, their smile, their kindness... blablabla....I have decided to move over there in 3 months. Please advice me about posssibility of jobs, which visa I should use, where to stay ..."
Hell, come on !

I thought I saw it all on Thai forums, but seems that Bali attracts a lot of dreamers.
Personally I cant be bothered to give them information they could find with a simple Google search.
Maybe it's the F.B. style generation ? Ask questions even before starting to think ?

Last edited:
How were my questions out of context?

Look, I'm not going to continue this argument. I think BA is right in suggesting that you aren't aware of how your posts come across. What to you might just seem efficient - even a kind attempt to help despite the fact you're in a hurry and don't really have time to post, perhaps! - reads as belligerent.

If you don't sense the belligerence in your first post, consider accepting feedback from others about how you are coming across. In this thread you have me, dafluff, and BA all agreeing that the tone of your answer to the OP was off-putting. All three of us are old hands at message boards, and, if I do say so myself, usually communicate well on line. Do you really think all three of us are flat-out wrong?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back