Global Citizenship Indonesia (GCI) and ways to regain Indonesian citizenship.

For those who have lost their citizenship and want to become the Indonesian citizen, they will need to apply via 'naturalisation'. It is stated in Article 8 & 9 of citizenship law law UU_No_12_2006 - Indonesian Citizenship Law.

Article 8
Citizenship of the Rep. of Indonesia may be acquired through naturalisation

Article 9
Requests for naturalisation may be forwarded by the applicant upon meeting the following requirements:
a. Aged 18 (eighteen) or married;
b. At the time of forwarding the application, the applicant has resided in Indonesian territory for at least 5 (five) consecutive years or at least 10 (ten) years intermittently;
c. Sound in health and mind;
d. Able to speak Bahasa Indonesia and acknowledges the state basic principles of Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution;
e. Was never legally prosecuted due to acts of crime and sentenced jail for 1 (one) year or more;
f. Upon acquiring Indonesian Citizenship, will relinquish any other citizenship;
g. Employed and/or has a steady income; and
h. Pay a naturalisation fee to the Government Treasury.

I attach the key Information, how to do it (see attached)
Because you will need to meet residential requirement, you can not do it while still living abroad. To get a stay permit to meet residential requirement, there are various routes available, such as apply for E32C first. This stay perm will only last for 2 years but it could be renewed/extended. But the easiest and less complicated option (but more expensive) is to apply for GCI, e.g E32E, with this visa you could stay in Indonesia for 5yr+ (unlimited). After meeting the residential requirement you could then apply fro naturalisation.
Yes, you mentioned the GCI residence permit. I appreciate it. This is part of the reason for my post. It seems like GCI offers the most efficient path towards completing the five years residency requirement for naturalization.
 
That staying in Indonesia for 5 consecutive years (or 10 non-consecutive years) to get the citizenship has in fact nothing to do with ex WNI or not; that applies to most foreigners (who don’t have a WNI spouse).

And then you’d just walk the KITAS - KITAP path. The GCI program is just another way of staying in the country for 5+ years (for certain groups).
I suppose the GCI permit does not require a sponsor. That's why I was interested in the GCI. I may be wrong about this.
 
I suppose the GCI permit does not require a sponsor. That's why I was interested in the GCI. I may be wrong about this.
All info are available on eVisa
The E32E GCI route does not require a guarantor/sponsor. Your guarantor/sponsor is your investment commitment in Indonesia

The total cost of it
Fee which include the MERP/IMK IDR 34,800,000 AND
Investment requirement
  • Purchase Indonesian government bonds, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase shares in publicly listed companies in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase mutual funds in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Place funds in the form of deposits in state-owned banks, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase property in the form of flats or apartments in Indonesia, at least US$1,000,000 (one million thousand US dollars or equivalent.
From people experience that I have read, you do not need to pay an immigration agent to do it for you. It is relatively simple.

Personal experience is very valuable. If you do apply please also share your experience so other people could benefit from your personal experience.

I have attached the complete information of this E32E
 

Attachments

  • E32E - ExWNI Repatriation (5Yr+ Unlimited) GCI.jpg
    E32E - ExWNI Repatriation (5Yr+ Unlimited) GCI.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
4. C is kind of interesting. Makes you wonder what you can (not) write in your social media posts.
 
All info are available on eVisa
The E32E GCI route does not require a guarantor/sponsor. Your guarantor/sponsor is your investment commitment in Indonesia

The total cost of it
Fee which include the MERP/IMK IDR 34,800,000 AND
Investment requirement
  • Purchase Indonesian government bonds, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase shares in publicly listed companies in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase mutual funds in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Place funds in the form of deposits in state-owned banks, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars); or
  • Purchase property in the form of flats or apartments in Indonesia, at least US$1,000,000 (one million thousand US dollars or equivalent.
From people experience that I have read, you do not need to pay an immigration agent to do it for you. It is relatively simple.

Personal experience is very valuable. If you do apply please also share your experience so other people could benefit from your personal experience.

I have attached the complete information of this E32E
Thank you for your reply. The requirements do not seem that difficult to obtain.
*Purchase shares in publicly listed companies in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars).

* "Be financially sufficient during your stay in Indonesia." Maybe the application requires evidence of a balance or amount of funds in a bank account, that allows the applicant to stay in Indonesia. Maybe evidence of passive income or some income that is not being generated by working in Indonesia, since the rules state I cannot work in Indonesia while holding this CGI permit.

"Proof that documents a foreigner was previously an Indonesian citizen". This sounds like the part where, I would show my old Indonesian passport. It has expired, so they would know I am no longer an Indonesian citizen. Also, it requires proof of a current passport with at least 6 months before expiration. So, they would know that I currently carry a U.S passport. However, I guess this is why they have included this provision regarding individuals who were previously Indonesian citizens. GCI does seem to offer a pathway to regain Indonesian citizenship. I want to renounce my U.S citizenship and "only" hold Indonesian citizenship once again. I am not interested in dual citizenship or holding another citizenship, so regaining Indonesian citizenship would be the right choice for me. Plus, I simply want to go back to Indonesia and live where I was born. I appreciate these efforts to help former Indonesian citizens possibly return.
 
4. C is kind of interesting. Makes you wonder what you can (not) write in your social media posts.

If it is just to comply with the 5 consecutive years + having a KITAP , the cheapest ways would be :

1) The Diaspora 1 year Visa & KITAS E32D (Rp6 million) , then at its end you change it to a 5 years KITAP (Rp10.5 million) . The E32D requires a US$10,000 investment .

2) The Diaspora 2 years Visa & KITAS E32C (Rp8.5 million) , then between 1 year and 2 years change it to a 5 year KITAP (10.5 million) . The E32C needs the sponsorship of a close relative .

-------------------------

PP no.21 Year 2022 - free translation
Article 3
(2) The application .. must be accompanied by:
c. an immigration certificate .. stating that the applicant has resided in Indonesia for at least 5 consecutive years or at least 10 non-consecutive years;
e. a photocopy of the KITAP;
Yes, thanks. I am looking for a route that does not require sponsorship.
 
Thank you for your reply. The requirements do not seem that difficult to obtain.
*Purchase shares in publicly listed companies in Indonesia, at least US$1,000 (one thousand US dollars).
The investment requirement has changed multiple times.
Originally when it was first launched early January 2026 the investment requirement was US$100k (attached). The one I posted in Post#43 (USD$1k) was printed recently, so that is the most up-to-date version.

Superceded E32C.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yes, thanks. I am looking for a route that does not require sponsorship.
Maybe you didn't notice that in my post no.40 , I listed 2 options , and 1 of them does not require a sponsor .

So repeating here the one that does not need a sponsor : The Diaspora 1 year Visa & KITAS E32D (Rp6 million) , then at its end you change it to a 5 years KITAP (Rp10.5 million) . The E32D requires a US$10,000 investment .

Comparing to the Diaspora Visa & unlimited KITAP E32E (Rp34.8 million) with a US$1,000 investment , this one is Rp18.3 million more expensive (or 2.1 times more expensive) .

The E32D requires 1 additional Immigration process and has a bigger investment requirement , but Immigration process is easy and a US$10k investment is still quite low in my view .
 
Maybe you didn't notice that in my post no.40 , I listed 2 options , and 1 of them does not require a sponsor .

So repeating here the one that does not need a sponsor : The Diaspora 1 year Visa & KITAS E32D (Rp6 million) , then at its end you change it to a 5 years KITAP (Rp10.5 million) . The E32D requires a US$10,000 investment .

Comparing to the Diaspora Visa & unlimited KITAP E32E (Rp34.8 million) with a US$1,000 investment , this one is Rp18.3 million more expensive (or 2.1 times more expensive) .

The E32D requires 1 additional Immigration process and has a bigger investment requirement , but Immigration process is easy and a US$10k investment is still quite low in my view .
Yes, that is a great option and the best part is no sponsorship is required. It's a small price to pay to regain my Indonesian citizenship and live in my home country. Thanks again.
 
The investment requirement has changed multiple times.
Originally when it was first launched early January 2026 the investment requirement was US$100k (attached). The one I posted in Post#43 (USD$1k) was printed recently, so that is the most up-to-date version.

View attachment 5801
Absolutely. It looks like a great opportunity to invest and regain my citizenship.
 

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

New posts Latest threads

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
6,727
Messages
113,711
Members
4,024
Latest member
shani
Back
Top Bottom