Garden visitors

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Here are some pics of a few of the visitors we had over the years, apologies if I have done this before, I forget.

& please add your own too.
tarantula- 1 of several that popped in over the years

Sadly the banded snake is a bit mangled & a lot dead as the dogs killed it :(
The bird above the snake is one of the very rare Javan hawk eagles that don't quite make it into the garden, but do come in pretty close... enough for me to worry that they might steal our smallest dog, at times.

How do your dogs get on with snakes, I worry a bit about my dog he chases everything, so I worry if there are still cobras about

My fear is that the dogs would get bitten & die. But I think because there are 3 of them & they are quite lively it tends to keep the snakes away.
I feel a bit less worried now that I saw what my dogs did to the snake. Not had cobras here- don't know if there are any in our area. But the ones we get are quite dangerous with nasty, potentially lethal venom.
I have another snake pic somewhere a red necked keelback I think.

We have had a python visiting us a few years ago and often varans of varioua size. I unfortunately can t document it since we (my guys and I) all enter in a frenzy to chase them when it happens. Invariably it ends up with a BBQ.

I have just been informed by His Nibs, that there "are cobra many di Bandung, usually like place like this, cold. & like tree bamboo" ... so there I have it- I have yet to see one & long may it continue.

A couple of weeks ago a villager in Sumatra had a wrestle with a python- and a big feast.

mbpMQ6B.jpg

Security guard Robert Nababan encountered the snake on a palm oil plantation road in Sumatra's Batang Gansal district on Saturday.

Mr Nababan tried to catch the python, reports say, which was 7.8m (26ft) long.

It attacked him, and man and reptile fought until Mr Nababan killed it with the help of some villagers.

The guard survived with serious injuries.

The python was not as lucky as Mr Nababan - its body was strung up for display at a village, before it was chopped up, fried and eaten.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41507967

erm VH - you kinda missed the point, unless it was in your garden lol

Do you have any particulars on the lizard above the hawk? We used to see ones like that at our house in Pejatan but generally speaking they must be either rare in urban areas or good at remaining unseen, since I've never seen them anywhere else in Jakarta.

We used to get cobras and a python and a weasels sort of animal, monkeys in the valley, sadly all has been changed due to two huge housing complex’s that have been built, all gone except for the rats, we do get Tokets, lots of butterfly’s and feral cats, the dog sees the cats off, we do get a lot of birds though, I don’t know any off their names though, most seem to be the size of an English wren ranging in colours from gold to red and black, at night many bats and I did see that giant moth that is supposedly biggest in the world, so some animal life disputes all the buildings, oh, nearly forgot the mosquitos, they seem more itchy this year

Last edited:
Do you have any particulars on the lizard above the hawk? We used to see ones like that at our house in Pejatan but generally speaking they must be either rare in urban areas or good at remaining unseen, since I've never seen them anywhere else in Jakarta.
We tend to refer to it as the Green Tree dragon... but I found this:
http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards.htm
However the pics aren't clear enough & don't show tail length.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards/maned-forest-lizard.htm

360mm seems like a gross underestimate. I'd say the tail alone is half a metre

We tend to refer to it as the Green Tree dragon... but I found this:
http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards.htm
However the pics aren't clear enough & don't show tail length.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards/maned-forest-lizard.htm

360mm seems like a gross underestimate. I'd say the tail alone is half a metre

Yeah, the tails on those things are astonishing - your photo shows the length well. I thought it was some kind of mutant the first time I saw one.

23559783_10156024604665739_6984855384030447962_n.jpg
23559783_10156024604665739_6984855384030447962_n.jpg
23621258_10156024689090739_890913138746791813_n.jpg

This fella showed up las week, don't know what he is but he can change colour and does not like to be picked up and evicted. He had changed to black and squatted on my gaming rig and scared the shit out of me when I went to play :D

Yesterday I caught a very large spider but it looked more like the Australian huntsman. I used a large translucent bowl and then slid a piece of thin cardboard under the bowl when the spider was inside. Unfortunately the spider was very fast and in the process I managed to sever about four legs. Supposedly they may grow back but I did apologize when I released him over the garden wall.
The huntsman is not venomous but bitten on a finger once and it drew blood. As the human species seems to threaten every other creature on the planet I hate to kill things... oops excepting mosquitoes, cockroaches and ants... and either leave critters alone or, if needs be, catch them and release them somewhere safe.
Ohh and I also kill vampires with a wooden stake through the heart... although I haven't seen any recently.

View attachment 460 View attachment 460 View attachment 461

This fella showed up las week, don't know what he is but he can change colour and does not like to be picked up and evicted. He had changed to black and squatted on my gaming rig and scared the shit out of me when I went to play :D
Nossox. Yes, hubby kept trying to tell me (erroneously) that ours was a chameleon, because it can change colours. I love how you captured that. Ours tends to hang out in the rambutan tree and so we don't see much in the way of colour changes. I do love that vivid green though. :)

@BA, i just looked at your link above and that certainly looks like it
,He was usually in the cherry(?) tree nearby I have no idea why he wanted to be on the cement or in the house. He was not nervous or jumpy at all,
As for the photo... just luck, I'm no photographer
He was bitey when I grabbed him

We just had the mpst beautiful vred drangon fly hanging out on our cloths line which by the way is red. His wings looked like they were painted with shiny nail polish and his head looked like a lacquered helmet . He was very cool but sadly my camera was dead. If he shows back up ill try and get a pic.

had to catch and evict a frog yesterday. Frog catching it a task more suited to boys than old men :D ..... still, easier than a snake

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back