Forum Upgrade complete!

dafluff

Cager
Thanks to @El_Goretto for updating the forum to the new Xenforo 2.1 software.

It was a lot of work, but you'll notice a bunch of cool new features. For example:

1) Navigation bar now sticks on top for easy navigation.
2) You can start threads just by typing the topic (quick thread).
3) Much better mobile version
4) Better editor, entirely in-place (no overlay).
5) If you hover over any avatar, it pulls up the user's information card.
6) More media embedding: you can now directly embed Tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram photos, Reddit, Spotify, Soundcloud, etc.
7) You can quickly make bold text and italic text by using asteriks like this **bold text** and *italic text*
8) You can hide stuff as an inline spoiler so it looks blurry. Go ahead click on it --> Cool huh?

And more things coming up in the future!

Last edited:
The forum also now supports emojis.

What's the difference between emojis and smilies?

Well, on this forum, smilies are built in and manually added one by one by me to be accessible to everyone.

Emojis are the ones you use on messaging apps like Whatsapp on your mobile phones.

So for instance, if you're on mobile and wanna type a smiley, you're not limited to choice available in the forum editor. Just use anything from your mobile virtual keyboard!

Like so:

??????????????????‍⚖️?‍???????????????⚽⚾???

Nice work guys - especially ElG for doing all the donkey work.

Good work. Some things to get used to but it will be fine...

Is Emoji popularity evidence of deteriorating written expression skills? Or perhaps simply laziness?

Yes, certain people using one-liners all the time, might feel the core of their (forum) existance is threatened; it will be possible for other members to reply or make smart ass remarks with even shorter messages!

Oh noooooo ??

And even worse; they might have to spend some money to replace their old BB.

Everything seems to work fine.

I did see though that the links by using the 'chain' option have disappeared in some older posts?

And it's a shame they follow the ridiculous FB profile pic trend to make the avatars round, but that's just me.

I did see though that the links by using the 'chain' option have disappeared in some older posts?

I don't follow you... What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe it's still here but different now?

And it's a shame they follow the ridiculous FB profile pic trend to make the avatars round, but that's just me.

Yes that was something they changed between 2.0 and 2.1. I like it myself but if there is a consensus that square ones are better, we can change it back. We can even compromise with rounded-corner squares ?

Is Emoji popularity evidence of deteriorating written expression skills? Or perhaps simply laziness?

It may be so but I don't it is the case on a forum such as this.

This place is multi-cultural with members from various backgrounds, nationalities and various degrees of English proficiency. Emojis can help with making a point across with less chances of misunderstanding.

I'll take my example: I'm in a whatsapp group where I am the only non-Indonesian and my Indonesian skills are far from enough to communicate properly, especially in an informal/slang manner, using contractions, and so on. Emojis are a life saver. Sometimes my choice of words is not adequate but the emojis I use help the reader understand my point better.

I don't follow you... What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe it's still here but different now?

I use that chain symbol quite often to link another website or forum post to a word. So when people click on it they will be redirected.

Now it seems all of thes, made in the previous version, have disappeared?

One example I'm sure about and which was easy to find back:

IMG_7886.JPG

images%20(1).png

I use that chain symbol quite often to link another website or forum post to a word. So when people click on it they will be redirected.

Now it seems all of thes, made in the previous version, have disappeared?

One example I'm sure about and which was easy to find back:

View attachment 938

images%20(1).png

I see. I will investigate further this week and will get back to you here.

I am not unappreciative of the work that has gone into the upgrade, so, thank you. However, as you have asked for comments, can I suggest that the "new posts - latest threads" section be lifted higher on that right hand column. I imagine, perhaps incorrectly, that most members scroll to the column to see the new or latest threads and it would save a long scroll each time we access the forum.

Otherwise, thank you again for the continuing availability of this forum.

Fair point @harryopal, I think it deserves to be below the tweets at the very least.

Will discuss with the team and report back.

Thank you for the encouragement and the feedback.

Something wrong when entering a website’s JPEG address via the link picture button;

5241026A-4978-4DBB-BCEC-2AD5F8F1D006.png

Fair point @harryopal, I think it deserves to be below the tweets at the very least.

Will discuss with the team and report back.

Thank you for the encouragement and the feedback.

I think its a good point also. I have moved it up right under articles. The tweets are kinda slow coming these days anyway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back