Cheap very high speed Internet for Bali

Like @dafluff said, there is little point in testing the speed with a server hosted in Indonesia. Most of the internet is hosted outside Indonesia, so to get an idea of how good an ISP is, we should also test for their speed to the outside world.

With the ookla speed test, I usually pick a Singapore server such as MyRepublic or SingTel.

@BliGundul thanks for sharing. I have been considering moving from Jakarta to Bali for some time now but the question of internet speed and reliability has always been an issue. The reason being is that I am really spoiled with my current setup on My Republic (tested with SingTel server in Singapore):

Screenshot_2022-09-26-11-13-12-43_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg

I actually only pay for 100Mbps but they must have upgraded me. My monthly bill is IDR 461,000 which includes 40k for their (shitty modem router) and 25k for a static IP address (which I highly recommend, makes everything more stable in general, not sure why, maybe their DHCP server is messed up).

The speeds above are achieved through using my own router behind the included modem. I have a TP-Link Archer AX73 WiFi 6 Router which is blazing fast and enough to cover my modest house. My phone is compatible with wifi 6 @5GHz so it's able to max out my connection.

But the numbers shared for Biznet in Bali sound pretty good that internet speed and reliability shouldn't be an issue anymore. I also saw last week that MyRep is also available in Bali now but I don't expect them to be as good as where I am now (1km away from their head office 🤣).

@El_Goretto : Well that certainly appears to be smoking fast!
I have my VPN default set to Singapore, change it occasionally if I need to access something limited, to wherever it originates. If I ever need to send Monster files I use the free version of WeTransfer, which is wonderful. It might take me a few minutes to upload, but not a big deal for me, not like I am selling online or anything, and need real zippy turn around times.
Static IP address is great, especially if you have CCTV and such at your home.

So as to avoid leading you down the Garden/Garbage Path, I just connected via VPN to Singapore, and this is the result I got.
1664167217382.png

Very interesting to note how fast the Upload speed was reported, and how much
appreciably slower the upload speed was.

fdcservers.net was chosen automatically.
I just reran it, and MyRepublic Singapore was automatically selected...also rather different results...but still quite streaming friendly.

I will spare us all the huge graphic, but I just tried again with PT FirstMedia in Singapore, and the upload speed was the fastest of the 3 I just tested at 176.5.

1664167490175.png

Last edited:
Raw speed is not really the only issue I my opinion.
Before my present (100 Mpbs Biznet connection) I had GIG internet which was 30 Mpbs. In practice it "felt" just as fast in everyday use as my present 100 Mpbs one.
Super fast connection speeds are hyped by the ISPs as an excuse to charge more, but the average Joe will see little difference between a 30 Mpbs connection and a 200 Mpbs unless you have lots of simultaneous users or spend all day downloading. (and who does that.?)

What is important is having sufficient bandwidth to support one's anticipated number of active simultaneous users and devices. Agreed, we have lots at my home. Assuming one isn't a professional online gamer and streamer those big numbers, while nice, might never come into play.
I was intrigued enough by @El_Goretto numbers that I just checked to see what they are claiming/offering here in Bali. I thought I might let go of my old Indi Home safety backup, which is underused and overpriced, but My Republic's Bali price list is not appreciably cheaper than it.
1664170118566.png

@BliGundul

Of course if you have a large number of users, all streaming at the same time and if you are into heavy gaming then you need the extra bandwith. But the average joe can manage on 30 Mpbs and most seem quite happy with a Sim card data connection for their daily needs. ( 5 Mpbs is enough for Whatsapp, Instagram and a bit of TikTok which I would say is what most people use the internet for )
For me the real problem is not speed but finding a decent VPN which allows connections to sites like iPlayer and others. NordVPN is useless in this regard. So are all the other big players like ExpressVPN because thousands (maybe millions) are using the same IP address which is blocked by iPlayer and other websites.

Other than that I can see no point in a VPN unless there is a VPN out there that does what I want it for.

So far I haven't found one.

@BliGundul

Of course if you have a large number of users, all streaming at the same time and if you are into heavy gaming then you need the extra bandwith. But the average joe can manage on 30 Mpbs and most seem quite happy with a Sim card data connection for their daily needs. ( 5 Mpbs is enough for Whatsapp, Instagram and a bit of TikTok which I would say is what most people use the internet for )
For me the real problem is not speed but finding a decent VPN which allows connections to sites like iPlayer and others. NordVPN is useless in this regard. So are all the other big players like ExpressVPN because thousands (maybe millions) are using the same IP address which is blocked by iPlayer and other websites.

Other than that I can see no point in a VPN unless there is a VPN out there that does what I want it for.

Have you tried smartdnsproxy.com? I haven't had any issues with it and use it just for my TVs. I also changed the region on the TVs to America and then change the IP to the smartdns IP address. With that I can run the US version of Netflix, Apple TV and Disney as well as free TV services like IMDB TV, Peacock, Pluto etc.... I have Samsung Smart TVs and you can change the region to UK, Australia etc... as well. There are some You Tube videos that take you through the process.

Have you tried smartdnsproxy.com? I haven't had any issues with it and use it just for my TVs. I also changed the region on the TVs to America and then change the IP to the smartdns IP address. With that I can run the US version of Netflix, Apple TV and Disney as well as free TV services like IMDB TV, Peacock, Pluto etc.... I have Samsung Smart TVs and you can change the region to UK, Australia etc... as well. There are some You Tube videos that take you through the process.
Thanks for sharing.
Nice work around.

@BliGundul

Might check with VPN Unlimited. I have used them for years all around the world and they have a lot of dedicated severs all over the place. Will occasionally find a server that is blocked in a certain area but it never lasts long. There are other solutions if you don't need the actual VPN service though such as Vanuatu has suggested.

Like @dafluff said, there is little point in testing the speed with a server hosted in Indonesia. Most of the internet is hosted outside Indonesia, so to get an idea of how good an ISP is, we should also test for their speed to the outside world.

With the ookla speed test, I usually pick a Singapore server such as MyRepublic or SingTel.

@BliGundul thanks for sharing. I have been considering moving from Jakarta to Bali for some time now but the question of internet speed and reliability has always been an issue. The reason being is that I am really spoiled with my current setup on My Republic (tested with SingTel server in Singapore):

View attachment 2579

I actually only pay for 100Mbps but they must have upgraded me. My monthly bill is IDR 461,000 which includes 40k for their (shitty modem router) and 25k for a static IP address (which I highly recommend, makes everything more stable in general, not sure why, maybe their DHCP server is messed up).

The speeds above are achieved through using my own router behind the included modem. I have a TP-Link Archer AX73 WiFi 6 Router which is blazing fast and enough to cover my modest house. My phone is compatible with wifi 6 @5GHz so it's able to max out my connection.

But the numbers shared for Biznet in Bali sound pretty good that internet speed and reliability shouldn't be an issue anymore. I also saw last week that MyRep is also available in Bali now but I don't expect them to be as good as where I am now (1km away from their head office 🤣).
In light of your professed concerns?
And hoping it might help to allay them, or inform you...due diligence wise. :unsure:
This properties screenshot might be of interest to you.
1664340235192.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back