Cheap very high speed Internet for Bali

BliGundul

Remembering back to the days of my Speedy internet connection in Bali,
at a time when just being able to access the Internet from home was great.

I have been using Biznet HOME for years, and at times it has been less than stellar.
I recently had to renew my contract and I was surprised to realize,
that the service which I had been using for a couple years showed a Maximum Speed of 150Mbps.
I routinely check my internet speed when I go online, and my speed typically ranged from
about 40Mbps late afternoon to about 90Mbps. Which, compared to the old days of less than 3 Mbps on
my Speedy connection, seemed pretty robust.
At renewal time when I asked about the fact that I had NEVER had a speed test result higher than 100.
some light was shed by customer service.
I always connect by WiFi, never by LAN connection.
Live & Learn, had I been connecting by LAN to my router I should have
been able to get speeds appreciably higher, as advertised Maxing at 150Mbps.

THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT?
The Router supplied by Biznet during installation Maxes out at 100Mbps,
which struck me as a rather substandard choice,
for their higher levels of service.

My new contract is about 15% less expensive than my old one, and with a higher Max Speed of 200Mbps.
I now happily pay 575,000 +tax, and typically when I test it, my speed is slightly North of 200, and up to 215Mbps, which is great. That is the Biznet Home Internet 2C package. They have slower and faster packages available, for competitive Gamers and such.

I just checked, and they also offer this Package at a yearly price, with a 32% discount, which works out to about 11,500 rupiah per day, which is pretty sweet for that fast.

The same issue with the supplied router still exists, so without a fix, WiFi speed Maxes at 100Mbps.
With muliple Smart TVs, Laptops and HPs in the family, spread out around the property,
I purchased a TP-Link Deco M4 system, with 3 units included, which is described as being appropriate for 3 to 5 bedroom homes. One of the identical units is plugged directly into the underclocked standard issue Biznet supplied router, and we have placed the other two strategically to maximize the coverage throughout our home and yard.
The system is great, and highly configurable. It can be driven from the Deco App on your phone, downloaded from Google Play. The Smart TV in our living room which used to receive a speed of about 3Mbps now shows about 200Mbps.

With speeds as high as that, streaming on multiple devices at the same time is no problem, no buffering issues.
For those living in a small space, a single Deco might be enough to cover.
If it is not, a second, or more Decos can be added, and they automatically link together, creating what they call a Home Mesh system. Unlike WiFi range extenders, each of which has a different name and login, as you move around the Deco Home Mesh System, your connection is constantly monitored, to connect to the nearest Deco unit, without connection loss, nor input by the user.

You will receive a monthly report on the App, and should you need to know who is using your network, possibly poaching your signal, and block them, if need be, easily done. You can also check Deco system Optimization on the App.

They are offered for sale by Biznet (sometimes they run out) at a reasonable price, or can be ordered from Tokopedia. They cost about 700,000 per unit. That link will take you to a very highly rated seller in Jakarta, with whom I have no affiliation. They have been in business since 2016, and have lots of other great Tech & IT stuff available in their online store.

Another potentially less expensive solution, is to just buy a higher speed router to ensure your WiFi delivers what you are paying for. Unlike the router supplied by Biznet with your subscription.

All that said and done, Biznet does occasionally go offline, but MUCH less frequently than when I started using them.
I do also have an Indi Home account from Telkomsel, as a backup, which very rarely gets used, is much slower and a LOT more expensive.

Remember that Biznet might have some Deco M4s here, and if they do, they usually have a promo price on them, so due diligence is suggested. If they do, an installer will bring them out, it is drop dead simple, should you want to order or buy them elsewhere and self install. 5 to 10 minutes and you're done.

Biznet, being used by lots of big businesses is uneffected by things like Nyepi shutdowns, which is a plus.

Last edited:
I recently switched to Biznet from indihome. For about Rp 200k less per month, I get twice the speed.

As far as the actual speeds, it depends a lot on the area. indihome was fine for a long time, but then they added more customers than the infrastructure in the local area allowed, and speeds and connectivity suffered. The local indihome technician was in the neighborhood something like once a week.

Then Biznet came in and a bunch of people switched, and indihome suddenly became much more reliable.

Still, happier with Biznet for now: they are cheaper (much cheaper if you pay 1 year in advance), and also they don't do the scammy practice where you have to "rent" their modem like indihome does. A modem costs about Rp 500k and they rent it out for ~Rp 100k/month.

I particularly enjoy that Biznet doesn't throtte the speed at exactly 200, and probably about 98% of the time it is slightly higher than Max speed promised. The old IPS provider line, about Speeds UP TO *****Mbps, while meant to suggest average speeds in a particular neck of the woods, has as a student of history, been savagely abused. Worded in such a way, as to be hard to challenge. It sort of doesn't mean anything, while suggesting plenty. Sort of like, With all due respect, is often misconstrued to imply high esteem.
Average speed is a much better indicator. During Covigeddon, and at home online classes for all 3 kids, it was a real God send to get the TP-Link Mesh sytem installed, and speeds enhanced.

Last edited:
I understand the price of 4G/5G Mobile Internet is very cheap in Indonesia in comparison to other countries and developed world in general. They have done very well in these areas. But I wonder why the cost of high speed internet, the Fibre internet is very high
For the price you could get double or triple the speed you get in the country like the UK
Also keep in mind the cost of labour. Also keep in mind the advertised internet speed is highly regulated in developed world. You can not just make the headline claim. You should get the estimated speed you are likely to experience at busy times of the day, when average speeds are often lower. These times are 8-10pm for home services, and 12-2pm for business services.
Unlike Fibre Network, Mobile network 4G/5G infrastructures are much easier to built, where state owned companies can not do whatever they want to outcompete their competitors..
It reminds in Indonesia in 1980s when the Phone line was under the monopoly of state owned company PT Telkom. It was extremely hard to get a landline unless you want to bribe.

3998028_1.jpg

Attachments

• 3998028_1.jpg
    3998028_1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Cheap is good.
I greatly prefer life and the weather in Bali to the U.K.
But I'll keep it in mind should I ever feel the need for an even faster connection.

I never meant to suggest that people should move to Indonesia, nor Bali for the cheap internet, nor to expect a T3 connection. I merely wanted to share my own personal experience, as a Bali resident of 27 years with other forum members, who may be in need of such information. I test my internet speed at least a couple times every day. I always check when I first log on in the morning meaning anywhere from 6:30 to 9:00.
When I checked it at 7:48 my Download speed was slightly more than 208Mbps.
I did sign up to be advised whenever Starlink becomes available locally.

Last edited:
I understand the price of 4G/5G Mobile Internet is very cheap in Indonesia in comparison to other countries and developed world in general. They have done very well in these areas. But I wonder why the cost of high speed internet, the Fibre internet is very high
For the price you could get double or triple the speed you get in the country like the UK
Also keep in mind the cost of labour. Also keep in mind the advertised internet speed is highly regulated in developed world. You can not just make the headline claim. You should get the estimated speed you are likely to experience at busy times of the day, when average speeds are often lower. These times are 8-10pm for home services, and 12-2pm for business services.
Unlike Fibre Network, Mobile network 4G/5G infrastructures are much easier to built, where state owned companies can not do whatever they want to outcompete their competitors..
It reminds in Indonesia in 1980s when the Phone line was under the monopoly of state owned company PT Telkom. It was extremely hard to get a landline unless you want to bribe.

View attachment 2572
Wow, how weird is that? They appear to offer the 455 Mbps guaranteed download speed service for the same price as the 100Mbps guaranteed download speed service? I imagine that most home users would be more concerned about download speeds than upload speed in the 450 Mbps range.

@BliGundul: I have the Biznet 1C package which is sufficient for upto 10 devices with 100 mpbs and is more than enough for streaming on 3 or 4 devices simultaneously.

I guess you have the Biznet 2C package but for some reason your ping and upload speed seem very slow.

Are you using a VPN.?

@ukcouple: Yes, I am using the Biznet HOME 2C Package.
Until recently, the IPS providers for testing on the Ookla Speedtest were all Bali-centric.
Now, all those listed are in Jakarta, and none of those which used to be shown in Bali, are displayed.
I am guessing that might explain the Ping lag.

I assume that you are also using Biznet HOME, as opposed to the regular Commercial Oriented Biznet? I would expect upload speeds to be higher on Biznet aimed at commercial users than home use?

I don't worry about my upload speeds too much.
Living in an extended family environment with about 10 potential users, and maybe
20 possible devices, streaming speeds are a higher priority, but I never have an issue with
my current service.

I do have, and sometimes use a VPN, but was not, when I ran that test.

@ukcouple: Yes, I am using the Biznet HOME 2C Package.
Until recently, the IPS providers for testing on the Ookla Speedtest were all Bali-centric.
Now, all those listed are in Jakarta, and none of those which used to be shown in Bali, are displayed.
I am guessing that might explain the Ping lag.

I assume that you are also using Biznet HOME, as opposed to the regular Commercial Oriented Biznet? I would expect upload speeds to be higher on Biznet aimed at commercial users than home use?

I don't worry about my upload speeds too much.
Living in an extended family environment with about 10 potential users, and maybe
20 possible devices, streaming speeds are a higher priority, but I never have an issue with
my current service.

I do have, and sometimes use a VPN, but was not, when I ran that test.
I have the home 1C package. The speeds I get are roughly as follows (depends on time of day)

Ping: 2ms
Download: 60 to 100 Mbps
Upload: 70 to 100 Mpbs

My upload speed is always faster than download speed for some reason. For the speed test I use the Biznet one, not the Ookla one.
https://speedtest.biznetworks.com/

For responsive internet, ping and upload speeds matter as well as download speed and anyway you should get at least something close to what you are paying for.

@ukcouple: That is quite strange.
I am unable to connect to the link you supplied.
I use Firefox as my browser?
My download speed is pretty much rock solid, might range between
195 Mbps and 212 Mbps at any time of day, seems to be reasonably impervious
to typical virtual rush hour slowdowns.

@ukcouple: That is quite strange.
I am unable to connect to the link you supplied.
I use Firefox as my browser?
My download speed is pretty much rock solid, might range between
195 Mbps and 212 Mbps at any time of day, seems to be reasonably impervious
to typical virtual rush hour slowdowns.
Try this.. https://biznetnetworks.speedtestcustom.com/?serverId=21959

Better still I have just noticed there is a free and dedicated BIZNET SPEEDTEST app available on Google play which works really well.

The app is REALLY good.!!

Last edited:
1663902501761.png

Thanks very much for that, it seems that the serverid was what was missing.
Despite a predilection for being wary of trusting their own proprietary speedtest,
at least it tests through the Biznet Bali connection, instead of routing through Jakarta.
Upload speed, while non-symmetric, is appreciably higher.
I just did a little research on the Biznet Home website, and it claims that the download & upload speeds should be symmetric.
1663903082293.png

Re: Speed testing your internet.

You should use the speed test app provided by your network provider with a grain of salt. Naturally, they will optimize it to get the best numbers for their service, but this may not be what your real-world situation is.

I use www.speedtest.net, and then I always change the server to something outside Bali, since 99.9% of the internet you want to reach is not in Bali. Something like Singapore should be ok. Doing this I usually get about 85% of the claimed speed by Biznet, which is perfectly acceptable.

test.jpg

I have been checking with both since you gave me that link, and they have been running neck to neck.
Half an hour ago when I tried with the BizNet one, the first time it routed via Jakarta, as it automatically searches for their fastest server. A minute later when I ran it again, it linked to Bali and ran fine, and the result was, like Ookla's right around 210 Mbps.

I use fast.com as it is run by netflix so has some real use speeds.
Connecting to global Netflix, the BBC iPlayer, ITV and all the other streaming services out there requires a VPN of course and the raw speed of the connection is much less important or irrelevant if you can't even connect

That's another subject.

PS. The BBC iPlayer is the one that I have most trouble with.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf