1. We will be doing some work on the forum over the next few days which may result in the forum being inaccessible for some amount of time. Thank you for your patience.

Changes to Visit Visa and VITAS.

Discussion in 'Visas, Permits and Immigration' started by dafluff, Jan 24, 2017.

1. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +576
    Recently a new regulation came into effect, which made some changes in the Visit visa and VITAS procedure. These regulations have not been widely socialized, even though they were signed into law in late 2016.

Luckily our very own Atlantis has kept on top of things, and has written a summary article on what the changes are!

You may read it here: https://www.expatindo.org/2017/01/24/immigration-changes-visit-visa-vitas/

As always, comments, questions, corrections are welcome!

2. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +608
    These changes introducing the 5 years multiple entry visit visa may be particularly interesting for eks WNI who, for any reason, doesn't want to or can't apply for a KITAS/P, but frequently visit Indonesia.

For the rest of us, some of these changes confirm the trend: we are still tolerated, but the days when one was getting a SosBud, extending it to stay up to 6 months before doing a quick visa run, returning the same day with the expectation of staying another 6 months are well over.

We should be ready to face increasing scrutiny in the months/years to come.

Also, note that this regulation leaves a lot of leeway for immigration officers at the TPI or atase imigrasi in embassies to accept or refuse your application. A word of advise which may sound obvious, albeit I sometimes wonder if everyone is aware of its importance: dress and behave appropriately when you have to deal with an Indonesian official.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +576
    Not to mention the requirement to have $1500 in savings, even for spousal sponsored visa and/or KITAS.

4. Fabius77

Fabius77 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    In your opinion, when or if we foreigners will be positively unwelcome (except as tourists depositing wealth)?

5. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +576
    This is not a given. But we should note the ease of which we can now obtain KITAS/KITAP is relatively new. Indonesia has always had a protectionist streak when it comes to foreigners in the country (for example not allowing work, not allowing purchase of property even for people who are essentially on permanent resident visas).

6. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +32
    or maybe the five year MERP to accompany the KITAP for the ex-WNI..that would be great!

7. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Dual-Citizenship for an ex-WNI would even be better AND would contribute to the Indonesian economy/industry.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +32
    My five year MERP was just a short term goal/dream considering how long it has taken the government to approve dual citizenship for mixed marriage children...but yes dual citizenship is the ultimate end goal.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. R Cameron

R Cameron Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +115
    Anyone have a link to the text of the new regulations? Even better if it's on a government website.

10. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Immigration Indonesia website is here.....http://www.imigrasi.go.id/index.php/en/

11. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +608
    Hi R Cameron,
    I am unsure that it has been uploaded yet online. However, if you PM an email address I will PM it to you.

12. R Cameron

R Cameron Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +115
  13. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +608
    Hi R Cameron,
    Apologies for being late in answering you. I have been pretty busy the last 2 days.

Yes, it is in part to this regulation we were referring to in our article. HOWEVER, be aware that PerMen 24/2016 (the regulation you've found) has been amended and modified on December 15th, 2016 by the Minister of Justice and Human Rights. The text you have and for which you pasted the link is therefore not accurate.
    The amendment is the reason why we delayed the publication of our article, in order to make sure that we would provide to our readers the most accurate and up-to-date information.

From memory, I think that the amendment modified and rewrote about 10 articles of the whole regulation, which is pretty important.

Should you need the amendment, in order to have the complete current regulation on that matter, I renew my proposal to email it to you.
    Salam.
    O.