Buying a used car - what is to be considered

Meanwhile checked the Wuling dealer and prices...even a Wuling family car starts now at 190 jt here on Lombok. The husband of our notary told us he paid only 140 jt four years ago.

I might need to adjust the budget that I planned for a car. Seems not possible to purchase a family car for less than 10,000 Euro (160 jt) at the moment... :(

That's the tariffs etc plus exchange rate and general inflation
Wait until the motor show and buy this year's one when they want to clear their stock for the 2023 model

Meanwhile checked the Wuling dealer and prices...even a Wuling family car starts now at 190 jt here on Lombok. The husband of our notary told us he paid only 140 jt four years ago.

I might need to adjust the budget that I planned for a car. Seems not possible to purchase a family car for less than 10,000 Euro (160 jt) at the moment... :(
You can buy something like a Honda BRV or Mitsubishi Expander new for less than 240 jt but that seems to be the entry level price for something that will keep a decent resale. If you don't care about resale value (definitely an issue with Wuling) then you may be able to get by cheaper than that.

Technically not your experience. Your wife's friend's experience
My turn to be pedantic. If you learn something from someone else and then apply that knowledge to your life, does that not add to your experience? If that's not the case, what good is education?

My turn to be pedantic. If you learn something from someone else and then apply that knowledge to your life, does that not add to your experience? If that's not the case, what good is education?
All in all, it's just another brick in the wall

That's the tariffs etc plus exchange rate and general inflation
Wait until the motor show and buy this year's one when they want to clear their stock for the 2023 model

Probably a good advice. The problem is only that we need a car soon since we have a little baby and don‘t want to drive that often on a motorcycle with the baby, especially during rainy season.

New idea is now to get a Daihatsu Sigra shipped from Bali to Lombok. Already contacted a dealer from Bali (Sigra seems to still be available there) ... now have to wait and see how much the shipping etc will cost 😅

Daihatsu Terios is the budget version of Toyota Rush
Did you look that?

Probably a good advice. The problem is only that we need a car soon since we have a little baby and don‘t want to drive that often on a motorcycle with the baby, especially during rainy season.

New idea is now to get a Daihatsu Sigra shipped from Bali to Lombok. Already contacted a dealer from Bali (Sigra seems to still be available there) ... now have to wait and see how much the shipping etc will cost 😅
Can you lease a car for a while - if enough selection & see how you like it, if no good lease a different one?
We had a Toyota Calya for a while- bought new I forget what we paid but it was under 150jt.
It was ok, enough for what we needed but not so great to drive, the gears were very sticky- changed up for a Rush now & it is much better (& automatic to help new driver - the hubby).

Keep in mind that the Sigra is strictly a budget model. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you want. The 1 liter engine is major concern for me personally.

Keep in mind that the Sigra is strictly a budget model. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you want. The 1 liter engine is major concern for me personally.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know...it is a Budget model, that is definitely true. When we went to a showroom, I noticed that the interior design and materials feel a bit cheap as well. But it is no Problem for me...for me, a car should bring me from Point A to Point B...I don‘t have high expectations. Only there should be enough room for wife, kid plus stroller etc

Stupid question (I am no car expert): What is wrong about a 1 liter engine? Btw, starting from type X, it is a 1.2 liter engine. Only type D and M contain a 1 liter engine.

Can you lease a car for a while - if enough selection & see how you like it, if no good lease a different one?
We had a Toyota Calya for a while- bought new I forget what we paid but it was under 150jt.
It was ok, enough for what we needed but not so great to drive, the gears were very sticky- changed up for a Rush now & it is much better (& automatic to help new driver - the hubby).

I haven‘t met anyone yet who leased a car in Indonesia. Only my wife‘s family one time for one day ... that was quite expensive (300.000 Rp if I remember correctly).

Don’t know how much it would be if you rented longer-term. But I would assume there could occur the same in this thread mentioned problems as if you bought a used car? (bad condition, risk of problems occurring and maybe often repairs needed etc.)

1 liter not very powerful for a car + 4 people and gas going up a hill to puncak
1.6 is good enough and your fuel economy won't be too bad

Stupid question (I am no car expert): What is wrong about a 1 liter engine? Btw, starting from type X, it is a 1.2 liter engine. Only type D and M contain a 1 liter engine.
1 liter is very underpowered for most situations. If you are in flat area and don't plan on carrying more that 2 people, maybe it's not a problem. Just don't expect rapid acceleration. 3 or more people and a hill could not only be a struggle for the car but could also put undue stress on the engine if it encounters higher loads often. A lot of cars here are using 1.5 liter engines and that would be my personal minimum. We have a BRV with a 1.5 and it's never been underpowered even carrying 7 people or driving in the mountains but I've never carried 7 people in the mountains. Would recommend 2+ liters for a situation like that.

I haven‘t met anyone yet who leased a car in Indonesia. Only my wife‘s family one time for one day ... that was quite expensive (300.000 Rp if I remember correctly).

Don’t know how much it would be if you rented longer-term. But I would assume there could occur the same in this thread mentioned problems as if you bought a used car? (bad condition, risk of problems occurring and maybe often repairs needed etc.)
I have often rented cars pre my having my own.
Can't say much re 'mentioned problems' as the worst we had was a flat tyre.
Rental longer term is usually a little cheaper than the daily rate depending on the model, you can likely get something from 4-6 million a month.

1 liter is very underpowered for most situations. If you are in flat area and don't plan on carrying more that 2 people, maybe it's not a problem. Just don't expect rapid acceleration. 3 or more people and a hill could not only be a struggle for the car but could also put undue stress on the engine if it encounters higher loads often. A lot of cars here are using 1.5 liter engines and that would be my personal minimum. We have a BRV with a 1.5 and it's never been underpowered even carrying 7 people or driving in the mountains but I've never carried 7 people in the mountains. Would recommend 2+ liters for a situation like that.
Ah ok, then I might have been a bit naive thinking that the cars that are sold here are suitable for the area / region.

We will probably use the car on Lombok only. Bypass connecting Mataram, Praya, Airport and Kuta should be no problem since flat area. When driving along the coast (for example Mataram to Senggigi and further to the north of the island) could be tricky then maybe. There it is a bit hilly ... but I would assume that hardly any car should be able to climb up those hills / cliffs. Maybe nearer to Mount Rinjani it could become difficult, have not been there that often. But since we do not plan to be there that often, we could rent another car for a day if we think it is too annoying with a Sigra. Hope I will not regret my here mentioned words later :D

My experience with Wuling is Grab and Go cars and of course car sales people in malls. The things I have noticed on my own is that Wuling seem to take a lot of notice to the creature comforts. Roomy, great A/C, radios seem quality, and has comfortable seats. The drivers indicate they like them. The drawback to me is from my experiences riding in them. The suspensions seem to wear rather quicky taking away from the smooth ride when brand new. Of course, most drivers here could care less if there is a bump or hole in the road so they would probably abuse the suspensions more than a Westerner would. As for suspensions, I see the same on other autos too and if they have some years on them they can be like riding on steel wheels with no springs. All in all, I don't think the Wuling would be worse that other autos in it's class and for some things, probably better.

Good luck.
Reading this about cars, I have a question. Open the tailgates of the cars in Indonesia not all the way up? I bumped my head now several times against the tailgate of cars (gocars btw). Never had that problem in Holland.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs