Buleleng

harryopal1

I would like to find a place in northern Bali where one can snorkel in reasonably clear water without having to take a boat trip or go to some island or other. I don't mind if it is a rocky shore line as long as there is easy access. Or anywhere around coastal Bali. As I am not an expat with a fortune at my disposal to get some fabulous shore side villa the ideal would be somewhere where one might rent a house within walking distance to the sea as I like to swim on a regular basis. I would be most appreciative of any thoughts on this matter.
Thanks. Yours tropically, Harry

Hi Harry, welcome to the forum.

I live in Bali, although not in the north. There are several diving spots in Buleleng, and I would also look into Karangasem. Prices for rentals are significantly cheaper there than in the south. Not sure about snorkling spots other than the touristy ones however.

Harry - good to se you here

Try Padang Bai. As you enter the town turn left (straight ahead takes you to the ferry to Lombok) to get to the beachfront area where most of the hotels, accommodation and eating places are located. You can drive up on to the top of the headland at the northern end of the beach - there's only one road. Plenty of places to park at the top. Then find the track down to Blue Lagoon. It's a short sandy beach with warungs, hire snorkel gear etc. Best entry point to the water is at the left hand end of the beach (facing out to sea) where there's a natural sandy passage - rather than walking out on the rock shelf and doing damage.
I expect it's still quite good [it's been a few years] - good variety and lots of fish, coral, clams, the odd cray and very safe - it's all within 50 m of the beach. Conditions vary from glassy to choppy depending on the prevailing wind.
Anyway give it a crack and report back please.

Hello Harry. When I was still only a tourist I used to do a fair bit of snorkelling around Bali, I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in northern Bali. I'd try the following areas, but you'll really need to have your own scooter to explore and find a place that suits you.

Candidasa.
Padand Bai.
Amed and all along the coast road going east.
Tulamben.

Last edited:
For snorkeling I would suggest Amed as its very clean and the whole area really does cater to divers and snorkelers

Good afternoon again ScooterIndo,

Are there any non expat residentail areas in striking distance?

Yours tropically, Harry

Good afternoon again ScooterIndo,

Are there any non expat residentail areas in striking distance?

Yours tropically, Harry

In Amed ?? Yes all of it, whilst it caters to tourist divers the area itself is Balinese/Indonesian.
I am sure that there are bules that live and work in the area around the diving industry (dive instructors owners of small hotels and restaurants etc.) I am pretty sure there are no expat communities of the type you're thinking of.

Good morning Scooter,

Sorry, not responding earlier. I only just picked up your post. Thank you. Ideally I would like to find housing within walking distance or cycling distance of the waterfront. Is that likely in the Amed area?
Yours tropically, Harry

I only just picked up your post. Thank you. Ideally I would like to find housing within walking distance or cycling distance of the waterfront. Is that likely in the Amed area?

I know you're asking ScooterIndo, but I though I'd give my 2 cents.

Amed definitely ticks your boxes for places to snorkel and swim, but I don't think you'll have much luck finding a house to rent. There's plenty of tourist accommodation but, as far as I know, the only expats that live there are in the tourist business. So there won't be any non touristy houses available. Even if there was, I doubt they'd be up to the average westerner's standard, even if you're not fussy. There's very little in the way of amenities like shopping or healthcare, and the locals have a bit of a reputation for being rough around the edges.

That said, you might be able find a budget/backpacker room and rent it out by the month. It's worth a try. But you'll really need to just turn up and see how you go.

Here's a link to someone who said they found a place for about USD$300 a month in 2014. So it's obviously not impossible.

https://www.internations.org/bali-expats/forum/looking-for-a-small-home-in-amed-1104012

Good morning Scooter,

Sorry, not responding earlier. I only just picked up your post. Thank you. Ideally I would like to find housing within walking distance or cycling distance of the waterfront. Is that likely in the Amed area?
Yours tropically, Harry

To be very honest with you I just don't know - define house. A "local" type house I would guess so, but as for a western styled home ?? I just don't know I very much doubt it from the impression I get on the few occasions I have been there.

Good afternoon CaturMuka and Scooter Indo,

Thanks again for your responses. Ahh well we can dream. We will get to Bali end of Decemberish looking for a temporary lease to allow time to check out the various possibilities. Hope to find something with at least two bedrooms to accommodate occasional family or friends.

Have a bonzer weekend. Yours tropically, harryopal

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back