BPJS use

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
The only reason my my wife asked Mayapada for details was that we were visiting a friend, he had a hernia operation, cost 200,000000rp, I found that hard to believe, I didn’t enquire as to the details of his operation, but he had a problem transferring money from his UK bank, so they wouldn’t let him go home till the full cost of the procedure had been paid, Mayapada is a very cash oriented hospital, so I agree with Fred, there are cheaper and possibly better hospitals, but i don’t know if you can actually pick your hospital for treatment or the clinic directs you to a hospital

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
Me too but it'll have to be a quick dash before asphixiation gets me.

I would jump off a ship and no body found, funeral expenses can break the bank, plus the possibility of your family being sued

dafluff

Cager
By 'every Indonesian resident' what does that mean? I have tried to enroll but been denied because I do not work.. am on Kitas retirement visa. Does it mean you need to be a permanent resident/employer/ business resident? I would happily pay 'bule' price to get on BPJS even if I never used it. Civic duty etc

It seems now the government only requires BPJS Kesehatan for foreigners that have worked at least 6 months in Indonesia. Other foreigners are not required to join BPJS, however I don't see any rules specifically disallowing them from joining. I believe there are a few forum members on both retirement visa and BPJS, so at some point this was allowed.

scouser59

Charter Member
Cager
I would jump off a ship and no body found, funeral expenses can break the bank, plus the possibility of your family being sued

Thats a good one , I enjoy fish . complete recycling:amen:

Fred

Get on one of those really crappy wooden ships that go to thousand islands. Do it at night but ties bricks around your feet before you jump.
Alcohol might help to ease any trepidation before jumping.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
We just signed up, and made the first payment. While I don’t expect to use it, it seems a cheap option, at the highest category.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Get on one of those really crappy wooden ships that go to thousand islands. Do it at night but ties bricks around your feet before you jump.
Alcohol might help to ease any trepidation before jumping.
Geeze, and then there will be a huge search party looking for your “lost” azz.

If you really want to leave the world, do it in a more considerate manner.

Fred

Geeze, and then there will be a huge search party looking for your “lost” azz.

If you really want to leave the world, do it in a more considerate manner.

You think they actually check people on and off those things?
They cram as many on as they can, then get rid as quickly as possible if the boat doesn't sink before it docks.

No bugger would notice.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
You think they actually check people on and off those things?
They cram as many on as they can, then get rid as quickly as possible if the boat doesn't sink before it docks.

No bugger would notice.
Somebody would notice, and then they’d make a huge deal about a bule being missing. I’ve seen it too many times.

Dianne

We just signed up, and made the first payment. While I don’t expect to use it, it seems a cheap option, at the highest category.
How did you manage to sign up? I would pay triple the highest cost just to have it! Private insurance is ridiculously expensive.. in my case anyway as I'm a bloody 'healthy as a Mallee bull' oldie! I rarely see a doctor, maybe once every few years for a check up!

Dianne

It seems now the government only requires BPJS Kesehatan for foreigners that have worked at least 6 months in Indonesia. Other foreigners are not required to join BPJS, however I don't see any rules specifically disallowing them from joining. I believe there are a few forum members on both retirement visa and BPJS, so at some point this was allowed.
Have heard the same.. but I have tried and failed! 'You must have job' was the response, but I dont have job but get money from my government, a pension! Must have job! Ggrrr

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
Have heard the same.. but I have tried and failed! 'You must have job' was the response, but I dont have job but get money from my government, a pension! Must have job! Ggrrr

Are we absolutely correct about the law in this regard.
I read that BPJS is mandatory for foreigners who are employed beyond 6 months which, to me, seems reasonable..
My read is that it is voluntary for foreigners with spousal sponsored Kitas/Kitap but not for those who are sponsored for Retirement Kitas/Kitap although, when BPJS was introduced, some foreign retirees managed to join but that shop has closed...but I'd be happy to find I'm wrong!!!
BPJS is a good start for Indonesia to develop a national health service and I wish it luck.
As a retiree here I have no desire to use a facility for those Indonesians struggling to find better health care...I think, as a retiree, living in Indonesia, it's my responsibility to provide for my own health care.
On the other hand foreigners, married to locals, and subsequently having children, should automatically belong to a national health service like BPJS.

steveandpenny

Cager
Now I've been told when we get our 5 year ktap we will be able to sign up for BPJS insurance. This is on a retirement visa. We are being told this by our agent so we will know next year.

Dianne

Interesting.. I am all for supporting the health system etc, even 'bule' prices would be fine by me, as I previously said, I rarely see a Dr. Can count on one hand the times I've taken up a hispital bed.
However, as a Registered Nurse for 40 years, I've seen the changes in Health care in Australia since the introduction of 'Medicare' which is free for all! Every tax payer pays an annual 'levy'. Sadly, the system is also 'systematically' abused. To see a Dr, you call for appointment, several days wait!! OR you head off to an ER! Consequently, ERs are chockablock full of minor ailments, 4 hr waiting times etc as per Triage protocols. I so hope the system in Indonesia is given a fair go and supported. I too wish the best for this growing, evolving great nation.

[email protected]

Cager
Interesting.. I am all for supporting the health system etc, even 'bule' prices would be fine by me, as I previously said, I rarely see a Dr. Can count on one hand the times I've taken up a hispital bed.
However, as a Registered Nurse for 40 years, I've seen the changes in Health care in Australia since the introduction of 'Medicare' which is free for all! Every tax payer pays an annual 'levy'. Sadly, the system is also 'systematically' abused. To see a Dr, you call for appointment, several days wait!! OR you head off to an ER! Consequently, ERs are chockablock full of minor ailments, 4 hr waiting times etc as per Triage protocols. I so hope the system in Indonesia is given a fair go and supported. I too wish the best for this growing, evolving great nation.

Totally agree that a relatively good system has been badly abused over the years and in particular from a minority in the GP sector. I talk about this from a knowledge perspective gained from my time with the HIC and DHS.

I am very lucky in regards to health care as I am a Department of Veterans Affairs TPI gold card holder and entitled to free medical in Australia for all conditions. However, in Indonesia the Australian government only pay for treatment that relates to conditions for which they have accepted liability. That just about covers 90 percent of my current bills and i have this week put in a further claim to have a few extra conditions recognised.

If I was here as just an Australian aged pensioner, it would be very tough financially as my health is not great and at my age I can not get insurance cover.

Dianne

Totally agree that a relatively good system has been badly abused over the years and in particular from a minority in the GP sector. I talk about this from a knowledge perspective gained from my time with the HIC and DHS.

I am very lucky in regards to health care as I am a Department of Veterans Affairs TPI gold card holder and entitled to free medical in Australia for all conditions. However, in Indonesia the Australian government only pay for treatment that relates to conditions for which they have accepted liability. That just about covers 90 percent of my current bills and i have this week put in a further claim to have a few extra conditions recognised.

If I was here as just an Australian aged pensioner, it would be very tough financially as my health is not great and at my age I can not get insurance cover.
Yes, insurance is an issue. As time progresses we live longer, better living standards etc. But age is a red flag for insurance. I consider growing old as a gift, every day I wake up is a lovely day, some dont get that privilege. Wishing you better health :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Notanexpat
Top Bottom