Bandung

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Happy- we need the mods on that - I have no edit function after 24 hours.

Thank you Dafluff, :)

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Happy- we need the mods on that - I have no edit function after 24 hours.

Then it might be better to ask if anyone has some additional supermarket info first. Anyone got something to add?

Vicissidude

Charter Member
Cager
I've never waited 45 minutes to land in Bandung. Heck, even 10 minutes would be a stretch.

Well, I have less experience than you and it's happened to me... twice! Still better than adding on a 3-hr drive from another airport though.

Vicissidude

Charter Member
Cager
Then it might be better to ask if anyone has some additional supermarket info first. Anyone got something to add?

Super Indo Dago (Jl. Ir. H. Djuanda No.44) - Not as wide a selection of Western foods as Setiabule Market, but they have a lot of the essentials... Milk, butter, a couple cheese options, imported cereal, as well as the good razors and shave cream. Lacking in bread and imported non-perishables. There are several Super Indo locations around the city, but I haven't scoped out the others.

willianto

Charter Member
Cager
A warning if you visit BEC mall: beware of a pickpocket. Avoid elevators. If you have to use one, be careful with your belongings --- especially mobile phone(s).
Other alternatives for not-so-sophisticated computer accessories would be Borma supermarket at jalan Dakota or jalan Setiabudi. They provide ample computer accessories. Sometimes you can get even a lower price than the one in BEC.

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
Talking about supermarkets and BEC, I found the Lotte in BEC to be pretty decent. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, a decent pork section and often 50-70% discount on imported steaks.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Other than some taxis only offering flat rates, I really haven't experienced any theft in Bandung. No one would want to steal my phone, though. :)

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
I've "lost" three phones here, best I remember... maybe four. In any event, if you are in the habit of putting your smartphone down, out of your hand... it may disappear.

Smallworld

Charter Member
Cager
I've never waited 45 minutes to land in Bandung. Heck, even 10 minutes would be a stretch.

I honestly have no interest in going 100 km to another airport, unless they had tons of connections, and no traffic. Or free flights. :)

I hate having to go to Jakarta for my main flights back to the US. I often use frequent flyer miles, and it quite difficult to end up or originate in BDO. I almost always end up staying 1-3 nights in Jakarta before/after a trip.

I have also never waited 45 min to land. But I did wait 1-1,5 hour on the plane in Bandung before take off due to poor weather conditions.

Smallworld

Charter Member
Cager
willianto;3296[B said:
]A warning if you visit BEC mall: beware of a pickpocket.[/B] Avoid elevators. If you have to use one, be careful with your belongings --- especially mobile phone(s).
Other alternatives for not-so-sophisticated computer accessories would be Borma supermarket at jalan Dakota or jalan Setiabudi. They provide ample computer accessories. Sometimes you can get even a lower price than the one in BEC.

Not only BEC or elevators...any crowded places like markets, mass transportation (trains, buses, angkots ect).

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Where NOT to eat... Abuba Steak, Setiabudhi Stars out of five : a half, given by my dogs who got unexpected chunks of (some sort of) dagin for their supper
I had never tried this particular place before- but I have been to the other Abuba near the flyover & always had good food.

So, it is our anniversary & hubby & I were out and about last night & decided to try this place.

First impression:
Nice enough , basic /rustic looking and not at all busy(I should have known better than to eat in an almost empty restaurant on a Friday night in Bandung).
Staff:
Very friendly and attentive at first.
She even answered my "what is already sold out?" with a smile and no worries we have all the steaks in stock answer- perhaps that should have ben a red light too?
Food & drink:
Hubby went for the tenderloin steak - well done; as he likes things to look black and crispy before he eats them- one of his foibles.
I went for the Wagyu steak skewers- when asked how I wanted them cooking- I said to leave it to the chef's discretion as he knows his steaks best.
Fruit juice to drink.
Drinks arrived promptly

We faffed about and did the usual selfies etc.
Food arrived, generous portions as usual with Abuba & then it all went downhill.
I bit into my meat- it was not hot- and it was inedible... I sampled my way through each chunk of steak on the skewers- every last one of them was a chunk of gristle that was impossible to chew because my teeth aren't metal.

Hey-ho, it was our anniversary meal, so I did not want to make a fuss & spoil it.

...until hubby cut into his steak & nearly fainted... it was like fresh roadkill, an inch away from being still alive- that is how not "well done " it was.
Personally that would have been fine for me but he is a fussy lil thing with his food and has a delicate stomach- I did suggest swapping our mains but he impolitely refused (hahaha- "nope, your meat will break my teeth!").
So, much to hubby's distress I went to get his steak sorted out- despite the place being empty, I had to walk all the way to the front door to get an employee- two of them stood there shooting the breeze.
By this time the dinner was beyond redemption.

We did pay but I pointed out that serving what could only be the crappest cut of beef as a steak skewer and perhaps, just holding it in front of a candle for 10 seconds did not warrant the price tag. I suggested that they find a new chef, one who knows steak and can cook.
Warning flags I should not have ignored- NOWHERE is empty on a Friday night in Jl Setiabudhi. No parking attendant- not enough cash coming in for some guy to warrant sitting there on a weekend- unheard of in Bandung- the place that has these men everywhere. Not having anything sold out.
In hindsight, should have just got the drinks and then gone to eat elsewhere... the Suiss steak place is only a few hundred metres up the road- I have eaten there many times, always decent food and decent prices.

The good review for the steak: my dogs loved it- but they also eat unmentionables and rats and cats and things too, so I figure theirs aren't the best opinions to listen to.

Scooterindo

Charter Member
Cager
The thing I like especially about Bandung that's not been mentioned is the nice cool climate

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
For those looking to come to Indonesia...

Climate/Geography

Bandung has a temperate climate, so it is much cooler and fresher than many other cities in Indonesia. It seems to rain a lot, and at night we have a quilt & blankets on our bed, and don't use air conditioning. Think along the lines of a warm British July, 365 days a year.

The thing I like especially about Bandung that's not been mentioned is the nice cool climate

Scoot- send me a pint of whatever it is you are on chuck xxx
You should come visit it has been positively chilly at night recently... bring beer.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
That Abuba is our normal one we go to, B_A. Usually decent, but they do run out of a lot of stuff. I've even just left when they were out of so many things. It's horrible to order, wait 10 minutes, only to be told they're out of this, this and this that you ordered.

I'd definitely put a comment on their facebook page, including naming the location.

I never order their t-bone any more, as they can't cook it properly. Overdone on the edges, and raw near the bone. I sent one back 2 times.

Honestly, I normally eat their grilled chicken these days!

We ate at one location in Jakarta, and I ordered those Wagyu skewers. Pretty good (for Indonesia), actually. The tabletop specials display had it on sale. When the bill came, I was charged normal price. I pointed this out, and the manager claimed it was no longer on special, sorrrrrry. Their managers definitely seem to be powerless, if they can't adjust 12k on a bill.

Scooterindo

Charter Member
Cager
Scoot- send me a pint of whatever it is you are on chuck xxx
You should come visit it has been positively chilly at night recently... bring beer.

You want a pint of laziness love ?? Sorry I should have read the thread more carefully - Next time I am in Bandung we will definitely hook up.

lone_ranger

Charter Member
Cager
Can't remember the name of the place but there is a very, very nice bebek Bali (cili ijo) resturant in Bandung where I stopped by once to have lunch. Miss that place!

Expatwannabe

I visited Bandung last year.
It was a nice place.
Stayed at the Ivory hotel.
I was surprised how much character Bandung had compared to other places in Indonesia.
It's almost trending after Bali with nice eateries and cafes etc.
It still has a long way to go but it seemed like and up and coming place.
I had never heard about a high speed train line linking with Jakarta is this being built right now?
If that's the case you would think it will become a very popular place over the coming years, has this
already been reflected locally with property prices and other similar things?

I'm curious as to prices for accomodations and availability?
Any websites in particular for the Bandung area?

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Make sure when in Bandung to take the bus. You always need an added mind altering lecture on Islam. You can never get enough brain washing, you know.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
I visited Bandung last year.
It was a nice place.
Stayed at the Ivory hotel.
I was surprised how much character Bandung had compared to other places in Indonesia.
It's almost trending after Bali with nice eateries and cafes etc.
It still has a long way to go but it seemed like and up and coming place.

I had never heard about a high speed train line linking with Jakarta is this being built right now?
If that's the case you would think it will become a very popular place over the coming years, has this
already been reflected locally with property prices and other similar things?

I'm curious as to prices for accomodations and availability?
Any websites in particular for the Bandung area?

I am curious, what do you mean by it has a long way to go- to go to be what?
Like Bali? I hope it never gets like Bali- not that it ever will, very different culture- you won't see too many drunken tourists in bikinis etc. in Bandung. Hard to compare a city with a whole island though. Lol.

Bandung is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Indonesia- it is where lots of the elite live.
BJ Habibi has a house here, amongst other high profile people.
House prices are already very expensive in comparison to most parts of Indonesia and rising- depending on the area of course.
I expect they will go up with the rail link- after all who would choose to live in Jakarta, with its heat & flooding, if they could live in the clean mountain air and travel for only 30 minutes to work in the Big Durian?

agoda.com
booking.com
etc.
For hotel prices.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiflondon