Bali Drafts law to Impose Tourist Tax.

Vanhelsing

Cager
I doubt $14 will be felt that much by annual holiday-makers, and personally I think it not unreasonable for tourists to contribute to the preservation of Bali's environment I do hope a portion of that money might go toward the further education of locals in regard to environmental conservation awareness.

6qeEYnRl.jpg

Photo: news.com

The Bali government has drafted a bylaw that would make foreign tourists pay a levy to visit the island, with the earnings to be used to fund projects for the environment and Balinese cultural preservation, The Jakarta Post reported.

The levy is said to be $14 per visitor and applies only to international tourists.

“This will give us better fiscal space to support the development of Bali,” Bali governor Wayan Koster said.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/worl...x/news-story/4d269ec334d4a56761db49a82f8aaa00

Seems okay, as long as they use the money wisely. Of course, one can't help but be a little skeptical; given, for example, how the "training fee" that companies have to pay for expat hires has translated into the national Government's highly visible and successful program for doing, um, whatever it is the money is supposed to do.

In any case, $14 doesn't seem like enough to deter visitors, so one assumes it will not have an impact on tourist flows.

I thought it was $10.

I think some of these funds often end up lining somebodies pockets. The other problem, it starts cheap, and then inches up every year.

Java has toll fees to gouge people, but at least they got actual highways to show for them. The probability of this $14 being spent on random irrelevant stuff (or overseas 'field study' trips for certain pejabats) is high.

I think its a good idea provided that it gets used well (although i doubt this) and also that it isn't a hassle to pay. I remember the old days of paying 1mill at the airport each time i left and the money was a pain but also the queues and the hassle of doing it. Hopefully they just tack it on to the airport part of the ticket fee

Well, the new governor is at least not entirely tone deaf to environmental challenges like the last guy. So far he has already issued a ban on plastic bags, styrofoam and straws. Even though the policy doesn't take effect until middle of this year, most stores have already removed those items. This policy follows on the heel of lower level government, namely Denpasar and Badung, banning the same items.

It's really low hanging fruit, and certainly way past due, but at least it's progress.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back