Bali Drafts law to Impose Tourist Tax.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Vanhelsing, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Vanhelsing

Vanhelsing Well-Known Member Cager

Ratings:
    +220
    I doubt $14 will be felt that much by annual holiday-makers, and personally I think it not unreasonable for tourists to contribute to the preservation of Bali's environment I do hope a portion of that money might go toward the further education of locals in regard to environmental conservation awareness.

[​IMG]
    Photo: news.com

https://www.news.com.au/travel/worl...x/news-story/4d269ec334d4a56761db49a82f8aaa00

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +345
    Seems okay, as long as they use the money wisely. Of course, one can't help but be a little skeptical; given, for example, how the "training fee" that companies have to pay for expat hires has translated into the national Government's highly visible and successful program for doing, um, whatever it is the money is supposed to do.

In any case, $14 doesn't seem like enough to deter visitors, so one assumes it will not have an impact on tourist flows.

3. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +102
    I hope they use this money to clean up the island ,the rubbish on the beaches is getting worse .

4. Jaime C

Jaime C Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +165
    I thought it was $10.

I think some of these funds often end up lining somebodies pockets. The other problem, it starts cheap, and then inches up every year.

5. Nimbus

Nimbus Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +191
    Java has toll fees to gouge people, but at least they got actual highways to show for them. The probability of this $14 being spent on random irrelevant stuff (or overseas 'field study' trips for certain pejabats) is high.

6. Ruserious

Ruserious Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I think its a good idea provided that it gets used well (although i doubt this) and also that it isn't a hassle to pay. I remember the old days of paying 1mill at the airport each time i left and the money was a pain but also the queues and the hassle of doing it. Hopefully they just tack it on to the airport part of the ticket fee

7. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +596
    Well, the new governor is at least not entirely tone deaf to environmental challenges like the last guy. So far he has already issued a ban on plastic bags, styrofoam and straws. Even though the policy doesn't take effect until middle of this year, most stores have already removed those items. This policy follows on the heel of lower level government, namely Denpasar and Badung, banning the same items.

It's really low hanging fruit, and certainly way past due, but at least it's progress.