Are Trolls Valuable?

Do trolls improve your forum experience?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Often.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Never.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
I know I said essentially the same thing earlier, but without the comparison, still ......

In an assessment of the greater harm done between Hombre or the administrators (not referring here to the old moderation team) of the old forum, my thinking is that the administrators did more to denigrate the platform than Hombre. Hombre's contributions were stimulating, thought provoking, and intentionally provocative. He did not suffer ignorance well, except perhaps his own. I was sorry he got banned.

Last edited:
I know I said essentially the same thing earlier, but without the comparison, still ......

In an assessment of the greater harm done between Hombre or the administrators (not referring here to the old moderation team) of the old forum, my thinking is that the administrators did more to denigrate the platform than Hombre. Hombre's contributions were stimulating, thought provoking, and intentionally provocative. He did not suffer ignorance well, except perhaps his own. I was sorry he got banned.
Yeah, he was provoking and provocative alright. I’m pretty sure that he stimulated a lot of people’s blood pressure in the process.

The thing is, the forum is not around just for kicks. There are people genuinely looking for information, understanding, and camaraderie. A little sparks here and there is normal, but this ain’t the fight club.

I have been guilty of providing the spectacle myself, but believe it or not I don’t enjoy conflict. It’s understandable if people fight for hills they’re willing to die on, but it’s stupid if they clash over unnecessary goading and petty insults. This is not high school and we’re not angsty teens.

No need to disparage and stereotype high school age persons to make your point. Your exaggerated view of Hombre's persona as spoiling for a fight; commenting on the forum with the primary purpose of provoking an argument is not the person I remember.

No need to disparage and stereotype high school age persons to make your point. Your exaggerated view of Hombre's persona as spoiling for a fight; commenting on the forum with the primary purpose of provoking an argument is not the person I remember.
Your memory is different than mine, but it’s ok.

I’m not saying he’s evil, but I remember quite clearly that he had a habit of inserting certain phrases from unrelated past posts to cajole others he crossed swords with. He was a smart guy with excellent memory, and he didn’t forgive people for having the temerity to be less than intelligent, or having a different opinion. He liked to push buttons.

I remember because I actually have similar tendencies. If I want to push buttons I can dig and use less than smart stuff people said in the past too, but unlike him I refrain from it. Maybe I dislike him because he’s a bit like the side of my personality that I despise.

Speaking of petty and contrarian...

If I want to push buttons I can dig and use less than smart stuff people said in the past too, but unlike him I refrain from it. Maybe I dislike him because he’s a bit like the side of my personality that I despise.
It's exactly that.
The problem with Hombre was not the 99% of posts where he said interesting stuff, regardless of the fact that we agreed or not with what he said.
The problem was the 1% of posts he made which were nothing less than harassment/stalking directed to a few users.
I gave the example of "Idiot of the village", but I also clearly remember multiple posts written to piss off 3 different Indonesian ladies, in thread where they did not even post and perhaps even read. These posts were clearly written to belittle them and to ridicule some statement they made, sometimes month ago. It wasn't 1 odd posts, there was multiple and recurring.
When a poster has 100 posts with 1% having this pattern, moderators can let it go. When a poster with 5.000 or more posts with 1% of them displaying the pattern described, it leaves mods plenty of opportunity to warn such poster and to acquire a conviction. Then when warnings are ignored, only one choice remain.
It's easy for users to forget or even miss these posts. The job of moderators is to track and spot them in order to insure ALL users a comfortable and nice experience browsing the forum.
In all honesty I couldn't care less if some regulars may/will miss the banned users postings. The forum is not a business and they are not clients. What imports me, and I am confident that this view is shared by the whole mod team, is that the community finds the information they look for in the forum and for this, the help of the 3 ladies I mentioned earlier and who end up deserting the forum due to Hombre's behavior was needed. I personally verified that the sole reason for them (and others) to desert was the reason I claim it was. I am just ashamed that we waited so long to reach the decision we made. We have been weak and lenient, allowing too many of these shit posts, and it was a mistake.

My personal experience trolls sometimes make my day especially those which intent to entertain, jokes, etc.
I hate a troll with intention to mislead, self promotion, fraud, bogus investment, etc

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819