Another Blasphemy Charge

Ruserious

Seems the woman who complained about the Mosque volume which triggered sectarian violence ending in a Buddhist temple being burned down is facing 1.5 years punishment. Just crazy

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...-buddhist-woman-on-azan-blasphemy-charge.html

So she faces a far worse sentence than the guys who burned down the temple. Not to mention the fact that she was probably right. I know that if you take noise level samples in my neighborhood that the volume from the loud speakers would be significantly louder than accepted safe levels. Im sure there are probably laws even in Indonesia about sound levels but as always no one wants to confront the issue.

Ohh, I cannot wait to see the defenders of "local traditions" defending this charge. Complaining about volume is blasphemy??? Seriously???

I don't know about any national rules, but MUI has rules on loudspeakers which apparently are just ignored

What is it with blasphemy they love to bandy the word around without having any real understanding of what it actually is. I saw this on FB and noted that complaining about the volume of a mosques loud speakers doesn't constitute blasphemy. In the same context if I was to spraypaint I LOVE ISLAM in 10 foot high letters on the side of your building and you were to complain about it does that constitute you being blasphemous ??

Indonesia's national slogan seems to be changing to "Punishment for DIversity."

I kind of wonder (sometimes) what would happen if someone decided to broadcast (at reasonable sound levels) a five-minute peal of church bells calling worshippers to Sunday Mass.

This is a link to the complete and detailed Surat Ederan which includes the relevant regulation: https://kemenag.go.id/myadmin/public/data/files/users/3/Surat Edaran ttg Pengeras Suara.pdf
Thanks for the link, Atlantis. I forwarded the pdf-file to the ta'mir of the mosque I frequent and hopefully it can spread further from there. Our mosque is very much in-line with the contents of the Surat Edaran as they never use the outside speakers for anything but the call for prayer. However, other mosques in our neighbourhood start playing cassettes about an hour before the start of morning prayer and 15 minutes before every other prayer. Besides that, in the afternoon there is a time when the little ones can use the apparatus for fun, as it seems. Believe me, not only non-muslims are annoyed by this.
Changing this is something very difficult since it has become a part of the muslim-culture here over the past decades. It's a sensitive issue because it's perceived as a part of worship. I think the high sentence for the lady in the OP is to satisfy the mob/protesters in order to calm them down and prevent further escalation of the situation. Obviously the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to get things back to normal.

However, other mosques in our neighbourhood start playing cassettes about an hour before the start of morning prayer and 15 minutes before every other prayer.

that's how it is around here too. I have to say the local mosque is rather quiet mostly

I wouldn't go that far, we still have a very active Moaning Marvin every morning from 3:40am

I wouldn't go that far, we still have a very active Moaning Marvin every morning from 3:40am
That is really early! I cannot really hear the closest masjid from my bedroom now, but even when we lived in an apartment surrounded by 5 relatively loud mosques, they never had a call to prayer earlier than around 4:15. 4:30 seemed to be their standard(ish) starting time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back