Air Asia starting to cancel.

A "friend" on Facebook suggested it irresponsible of me to return home as I'll be running a higher risk of contracting coronavirus via terminals, planes or travel in general. After manufacturing a small voodoo doll in her image and subjecting it to all manner of inconvenience, I considered she may have a point.

Should one stay put where they are if traveling for the greater good?

A "friend" on Facebook suggested it irresponsible of me to return home as I'll be running a higher risk of contracting coronavirus via terminals, planes or travel in general. After manufacturing a small voodoo doll in her image and subjecting it to all manner of inconvenience, I considered she may have a point.

Should one stay put where they are if traveling for the greater good?
I would but I have a strong background in risk assessment & managing/using protective barriers.
I would not travel unless necessary.
Saying that in my home there is just me & the hubby & we want to get on with making masks to distribute in our village, so we have to go to the big fabric market tomorrow- I fully expect it to be empty or even closed and will not be using public transport, will have masks, Dettol wet wipes for a barrier between us & surfaces such as door handles etc, and all the other gubbins.

But staying here is in itself also already a risk, esp. if you're by yourself. And if something would occur, the medical support and treatment would be much better in Australia. And last but not least, in the worst case scenario I would not want to get sick in a foreign country where I couldn't speak the language and without family and friends...

But staying here is in itself also already a risk, esp. if you're by yourself. And if something would occur, the medical support and treatment would be much better in Australia. And last but not least, in the worst case scenario I would not want to get sick in a foreign country where I couldn't speak the language and without family and friends...
Yes fair points, I was just saying it from my own perspective, enough language to converse with medics and family here plus my medical support is BPJS :D

Jetstar cancelled again this morning but have put around forty people up at Novotel Ngurah Rai with F&B credit so I feel confident we'll be out tonight on rescheduled flight.

Lucky to be put up at a hotel. With these panicky times some airlines may have left you in the lurch. Good luck for tonight

It’s interesting times.

We had some nail biting moments getting to Jakarta from the US. With new rules not worded very good, we got refused (Or, I should say, me, as the lone non-Indonesian) checkin at LAX. We had researched it, and had the original government decree, but it didn’t say that Kitap/Kitas holders needed a doctors health cert before flying. They were insisting on this at the airport.

Lots of stress, calls to the Washington DC Indonesian embassy, and 2 hours in Limbo, calling my own doctor to write a note, they finally just said I just needed to do the health screening in CGK, which everybody does.

Flight delayed until 8pm, but I'm through immigration and in the terminal. Images of that chap stuck in diplomatic limbo inside Charles De Gaulle a few years ago aside, I feel we may get out tonight.

Horror stories of travellers perpetually buying tickets out to have the airline cancel hours later. Some people are now now completely broke and at the mercy of their embassy having spent their last funds on unethical airlines who aren't flying but still accepting bookings via web pages.

Personally, yes it's been an often frustrating endeavour trying to get home, but I have to admit Jetstar did show some humanity by putting its passengers up in a very nice hotel with a $AU50 F&B credit as some form of compensation for their previous cancellation, as well as departure terminal money for a couple of drinks, which is more than some airlines appear to be doing.

Last edited:
Flight delayed until 8pm, but I'm through immigration and in the terminal. Images of that chap stuck in diplomatic limbo inside Charles De Gaulle a few years ago aside, I feel we may get out tonight.

Horror stories of travellers perpetually buying tickets out to have the airline cancel hours later. Some people are now now completely broke and at the mercy of their embassy having spent their last funds on unethical airlines who aren't flying but still accepting bookings via web pages.

Personally, yes it's been an often frustrating endeavour trying to get home, but I have to admit Jetstar did show some humanity by putting its passengers up in a very nice hotel with a $AU50 F&B credit as some form of compensation for their previous cancellation, as well as departure terminal money for a couple of drinks, which is more than some airlines appear to be doing.
Glad you are (almost?) on your way home.

Home!! And what a wonderful surprise I had waiting.

My friend converted her art studio into an isolation unit complete with fridge, bed, table and chairs, stove, cutlery etc....as well as fourteen days worth of home cooked meals, disinfectant, hand sanitisers, masks and a guitar. I'm really quite touched that she'd rearrange her studio in such a way for me.

Home!! And what a wonderful surprise I had waiting.

My friend converted her art studio into an isolation unit complete with fridge, bed, table and chairs, stove, cutlery etc....as well as fourteen days worth of home cooked meals, disinfectant, hand sanitisers, masks and a guitar. I'm really quite touched that she'd rearrange her studio in such a way for me.
So congratulations. And where is home anyway?

Remember a lot of airlines block book rooms for their crew for layovers, likely you were using their quota but still the thought was nice and I'm sure appreciated

So far I have been fully refunded (inc the insurance) for both SG and AA flights that they cancelled, directly back to my credit card.

They of course give you the option to take credit to use later but if you prefer the refund back to card it's not a problem. Of course due to volume takes few days to process

I was going to rebook myself with both before when I realised I would not be able to fly, rebooking new date still costs some money but total refund was not possible, so I gambled that THEY would cancel the flight (which they did) and then the onus was on them to refund me in full

Temporary Hibernation of AirAsia Group Fleet

I've four future flights with AirAsia the bookings of which all just received the following notice.

Dear Guest
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic that has led to extensive and increasing border restrictions imposed by various countries over the past few weeks, we regret to inform you of the hibernation of most of AirAsia Group’s fleet which has resulted in a suspension of flights or reduced frequency across the network.

AirAsia Indonesia suspends all flights starting April 1
Amid the alarming spread of COVID-19 across the country, low-cost carrier AirAsia Indonesia announced on Saturday that it would suspend all its QZ flight code services starting April 1.

The carrier's domestic and international routes will be temporarily suspended until April 21 and May 17, respectively.

I booked two flights last year. Both cancelled...probably not enough demand due to covid crisis. Air Asia promised me that they would add the amount I paid to my Air Asia credit account and I could use this amount within the next two years.
Now I tried to book a flight. But at the payment section I cannot chose an option like "credit account". Anyone else here who has the same problem? Does anyone know what to do now? I cannot even find a way of contacting a real person at Air Asia. Only their bot chat system.

The chat where you are usually able to chat with a real person seems not to work anymore. I am more than 1.5 hours in the queue already and did not reach anyone so far.

You didn't receive the following last week?

AirAsia X Berhad’s Debt Restructuring Plan Notice to Creditors for Proof of Debt
Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for your patience as we continue to progress with the regulatory process to restructure our business affairs after submitting an application for a debt restructuring plan to the High Court of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are pleased to formally inform you that the restructuring process is progressing as planned, and we are now inviting all scheme creditors, including passengers, to participate in the proof of debt (“POD”) exercise.

For the purpose of the POD, you are required to prove your debts. To facilitate this process, we are sharing with you a document that contains a letter and the POD form that explains the requirements of the POD exercise. Each passenger is also assigned a unique E-filing ID which will help us to organize the submissions.

Please complete the POD form and provide all supporting documents, and return the complete pack of documents via hard copy and email by 7 April. You may find more information and details of the POD xxxxx

Your assigned E-filing ID is: xxxxx (please indicate this E-filing ID in your POD form).

Click xxxxx to download the POD form.

Following this, within the next two months, you will receive an Explanatory Statement outlining the information relating to the creditors' meeting and the voting process, including any actions you may wish to take.

We understand that these are challenging times for everyone and appreciate your understanding. We thank you for your ongoing support.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Thank you!

Regards,
AirAsia X Team​

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopTalent